SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Posse - Velvet Glove

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

03/19/2020 pm. "I got a call today from the nurse. Michele refused to do her therapy. I had her give the phone to Michele and I tried to convince her. Not sure if I was successful or not. They say she keeps packing her stuff and wanting to go home. I hope to see her tomorrow through her window. Hopefully that will cheer her up some. Good night and God bless."

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My prayers will continue.  When you have a “Lady” that was as sharp and as active as her a stroke can be very frustrating and depressing.  I believe that she will beat both these tings and be back bright as sunshine and happy as can be soon!  I want them to put your picture by Loving Husband in the dictionary!

03/20/2020 pm. "I got to see my angel this afternoon. It was through a window but at least I got to see her. She brightened up when she saw me. Shortly afterwards she broke down a few times because she wanted to go home. She patted on her right leg as she cried. You could tell she was very discouraged and depressed because she can't walk yet and no movement out of her right arm. I told her rehab would take time but you can tell she has lost patience. She needs you more than ever my prayer warriors. I will drop off her cards tomorrow so hopefully that will cheer her up. Good night and God bless."

I can understand her frustration, last spring I was in the hospital for 3 nights after having a  VERY mild stroke, and I was going nuts to get out. I hope she has the wherewithal to stiick it out and do the pt, it is so important

03/21/2020 pm. "Myself, Monte, and Tina went to the rehab and got to see Michele through her window. She was very glad to see us and gave us some good smiles. She looked well today. I sent her mail to her, 15 cards so that should help brighten her day. I will stop by again tomorrow to see her. Good night and God bless."

03/22/2020 pm. "I got to see my angel twice today. First, one of the nurses was kind enough to facetime me this morning. Michele was all smiles and in a great mood. She even got to see Astrid during the facetime call, which really made her smile. I saw Michele again this afternoon through her rehab window. Again she was all smiles. We talked a little and she promised me she would work with her therapists this week. Her strength on her right side is getting better. She moves much better from her bed to the wheel chair and vice versa. I also noticed she was holding her right arm against her stomach whenever she stands. Usually this arm just hangs when she stands. The staff tells me that she really wants to get better so she can go home. Keep the prayers coming. Good night and God bless."

03/24/2020 pm (I didn't find anything for 03/23) "We tried something different today. I had the rehab call me before Michele started her therapy. I gave Michele a pep talk. Rehab told me she did better today during her therapy sessions. I told them to call me before therapy each day and I would talk with her. Rehab stated that Michele ate a few bites and drank some water on her own. Starting tonight she will be getting an appetite stimulant, so hopefully she will want to eat. Good night and God bless."

03/25/2020 pm. "I received a call from the rehab today. The nurse said Michele is starting to eat on her own, small bites but at least she is eating. Also she is starting to drink fluids on her own. She participated more today during her therapy sessions. Looks like the anti depressant is doing its job. Good night and God bless."

03/27/2020 pm (nothing for 03/26). "Got to see my angel this evening through her bedroom window. She looks great. She said "I love you and I miss you", and gave me a smile. This made my day. Nurses say she continues to improve and she is eating a few more bites of her meals now, 9 bites instead of 2 or 3. Her silver and black hair looks beautiful although she is not happy about the silver. She roams all over the rehab in her wheelchair and the staff loves her company. I will get to see her again tomorrow and Sunday. It will be through a window but at least I get to see her. Good night and God bless."

03/29/2020 pm. "I was able to see my angel 3 times this weekend. Once by facetime on Sat morning and the other two times through her window. Saturday her spirits were good and she smiled a lot. Today, different story. She was excited when she saw me but then she wanted to touch me. Once her hand touched the window, she began to cry. Every time she reached for me, even more tears. Needless to say this made me cry also. Michele has always wanted to touch me. She needs this touch to brighten her spirits and help her heal. It breaks my heart but there is nothing I can do until this virus scare is over with. Please keep her in your prayers and pray this does not set her back. Good night and God bless."

03/31/2020 pm. "Received a surprise this morning when I received a face time from Michele. She seemed happy and gave me some smiles. Her appetite is still small, only eating a few bites each meal. Nurse told me that she had developed another uti. This could definitely be effecting her mood and appetite. She started receiving antibiotics this evening. I told the nurse to please facetime each morning if possible because this really seems to raise Michele's spirits for the day. Michele also enjoys the cards she receives each day, so please keep them coming. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. Good night and God bless."

04/03/2020 pm. "I received a bit of good news today. The speech therapist told me that Michele has started to drink more fluids. They will start her on thickened nectar fluids tomorrow and she will be able to keep a cup of this on her bedside table to drink at her leisure. She is still eating like a mouse but hopefully her appetite will pick up soon. I am told she did well in therapy today. Good night and God bless."

04/03/2020 pm. "I was able to see my angel twice on Friday. First by face time that morning and then through her window that afternoon. She was all smiles this afternoon when she saw me. She was in bed but she moved to her wheel chair on her own and would not allow the staff to help her. I think she wanted to show me what she could do. The nurse called my cell and we were able to talk without me yelling through the window. Michele told me that she missed me, that she was doing fine, and that she loved me. I want to reach out to all of our local friends and family, please take the time, even if it is just 5 minutes, to visit Michele through her window. This is the highlight of her day and she enjoys it so much. She understands that we can't visit long through the window. If the window blinds are shut, call the rehab and they will open them for her to see you. Good night and God bless."

04/05/2020 pm. "Astrid and I got to visit Michele at her window for about an hour today. Michele was so excited to see her baby. Astrid did her puppy grunt when she saw her mama and this made Michele smile. I watched Michele drink a whole glass of thickened lemonade today. So glad to see her consuming more. I will get to see her again tomorrow evening. Good night and God bless."

04/06/2020 pm. "I was able to see my angel this evening. She was all smiles but she asked me if I brought Astrid. I told her sorry I came straight from work. Knowing this, I will have to bring Astrid by every weekend since it brightens her day so much. Thanks again for all the cards. She really enjoys them. Thank you Colonel and Alice for the gift. I will have to use it to get my angel something. Keep the prayers coming. Good night and God bless."

04/08/2020 pm. "First let me apologize for not posting an update last night. Yesterday morning Michele's blood pressure was high and the nurses had to increase her bp meds. That evening her blood pressure was normal and remained normal throughout the day. She continues to drink thickened fluids well however she has no desire to eat. The appetite stimulant that they are giving is suppose to kick in within 2 weeks, so hopefully we will receive some positive results. According to the staff, she continues to show improvement however it is slow due to the brain injury. I pray she pulls through this. Good night and God bless."

There's nothing like a kitty cat in the window to brighten anyone's day!!!   :wub:

04/10/2020 pm. Sorry, I missed this. "I saw my angel this afternoon through her window. She was very happy to see me and I got many smiles. I plan on bringing Astrid to see her on Saturday. I was able to see the peacock Afghan that some of the LOCAS ladies made for Michele. It is beautiful and Michele indicated she liked it. Thank you ladies for all the hard work. Good night and God bless."04/10/2020 pm. Sorry, I missed this. "I saw my angel this afternoon through her window. She was very happy to see me and I got many smiles. I plan on bringing Astrid to see her on Saturday. I was able to see the peacock Afghan that some of the LOCAS ladies made for Michele. It is beautiful and Michele indicated she liked it. Thank you ladies for all the hard work. Good night and God bless."

04/13/2020 pm. "Updates on Michele:
Saturday Astrid and I visited Michele through her window. Michele was so excited, all she could say was "oh, oh,oh, how pretty". Astrid's visit definitely made Michele's day. Her smile made my day.
Sunday: Michele was in good spirits but she wanted to know where Astrid was. I will have to bring Astrid at least one day each weekend. We had a good visit and I was able to keep her smiling.
Monday: received a call from the speech therapist. She is happy with Michele's eating and drinking process and is suggesting reducing her tube feedings. She will work with the dietitian to establish a eating regimen for her. When I visited Michele today she was a little depressed. I tried to cheer her up and did manage a small smile or too. She wants to go home so bad. I told her if she keeps getting stronger, hopefully we can get her home soon."

04/14/2020 pm. "I was able to visit my angel through her window this evening. She was glad to see me and was all smiles. Her speech today was great; I understood almost every word. At one point she rolled away from the window to get her a wrap because it was quite cool outside. I quit talking while she was looking and she told me quite clearly "keep talking". I was floored. I visited with her for 20 min because I did not want her to get cold. I drove away as she was waving bye and blowing me kisses. Good night and God bless."

She is a fighter!  Sorry it is such a long process, but she is moving in the right direction!  I believe God is taking this trip beside her, so let’s all keep praying!

04/16/2020 pm. "Today I received the phone call I have been dreading. The insurance company is no longer covering her rehab care because she is not progressing fast enough. So she will have to be transferred to long term care. I am contacting an attorney tomorrow to try and get Michele on Medicaid to help cover the cost of long term care. The insurance will continue to cover op therapy while she is in long term care. I was so hoping to get her home but she cannot independently walk and she still has her feeding tube. I explained the situation to her and she said she understands. I would love to be able to care for her at home but I have to work, bills won't pay themselves. This day has totally sucked for both of us."

I’m sadly familiar with the ins and outs in dealing with the insurance industry!!  It looks like we will be paying medical bills for several years that insurance has refused to cover in my recent adventure in illness!!

They are mostly intractable when it comes to meeting the needs of the patient/client where those needs don’t correspond with the intentionally vague policies designed to save the insurance provider any and all expenses!!

Despite their claims, insurance companies are simply gambling that your needs can be met for less coverage and therefore less money!!

I’m offering my prayers for the swift recovery and complete coverage of this wonderful lady’s needs!!

It takes a lot of patience and the support of the medical staff to navigate the insurance mine field.

Her care givers should be appealing EVERY adverse decision handed down by the insurance company!!

That alone probably saved my life!! Anything that could adversely effect her health and recovery is open to appeal and should be vigorously pursued!!!

04/19/2020 pm. "Astrid and I visited with Michele both Sat and Sun. Michele was so happy to see her baby. Her smiles were priceless. She was quite vocal this weekend even though I could not make out all the words. I am taking an eraser board to her to see he she is able to write down her words that don't come out quite right. They are telling me she is starting to eat a little more. Sat morning she ate a while avocado. Her spirits seem good however she still has bouts of depression. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers." PS Astrid is one of Michele's wolves.

When I'm hospitalized, visits from my kitty cats and boxers are priceless. Unfortunately, even my farthest Idal hospital drawa the line at horses!!! 

OOOOPS    farthest North Idaho   ;)

04/21/2020 pm. "Just a quick update, the staff informs me that Michele is starting to eat more during her meals. Instead of just a couple of bites, they say she is eating 25% of her meal. They report that she has participated more during therapy sessions. Hopefully I will get back in town early tomorrow so I can visit with her. Good night and God bless."

Archived