SASS Wire Forum

Prayer Posse - Velvet Glove

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

Progress is great!  Prayers are again outgoing!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
06/07/2020 am. "First let me begin by offering my sincere thanks to Bulldog McGraw and all the cowboys and cowgirls of the Mountain Valley Vigilantes. The monthly shoot yesterday was a benefit shoot for Michele and all proceeds went to Michele for her continued rehab therapy. This just shows how the cowboys/cowgirls takes care of each other like one big family. Thank you all for the support.
Saturday Michele had a very busy visitation day. She was visited by her mother, aunt, uncle, her cousin and her new husband, and Michele's sisters. Needless to say she had a big smile most of the day. I could tell later that evening that she enjoyed the visits because she looked tired. Hopefully soon the visitation restrictions will be lifted where we can actually visit her in her room. Before I end, one of Michele's sisters offered to bring a box of hair color to wash away the gray. Michele's response to her "WHEN". She still has her sense of humor. Take care all."

06/12/2020 pm. "I received a call earlier this week from Michele's speech therapist. She is so happy with Michele's progress. Earlier in the week Michele was consuming 75% of each meal. Since Thursday she has been consuming almost 100% of each meal. Her speech continues to improve. I was able to visit her Thurs and Fri evening. She was very happy to see me. So another week of slight improvement. Still a long way to go and I think Michele is determined to get there."

Great news!!  Slow but steady. Prayers will continue to come from Pinky and myself. Hang in there Freddie. Hoping she gets to come home soon 

06/14/20200 pm. "Before I begin a special thank you to Kay W, Texas Bill & Ogallala Sue, Moon Dance Kid & High Card Kay for the kind gifts. Be assured that these gifts will all go to Michele for her continued therapy. This weekend Michele was in high spirits. She was full of smiles, her eyes were bright, and you could see the determination in her face to get well. She was joking with me and flirting. She got to see her baby Astrid on Saturday and this really made her happy. Before I left today, she promised me that she would continue to work hard in therapy this week. Thanks for keeping her in your thoughts and prayers. Good night all."

06/16/2020 pm. "I received some good news today from Michele's speech therapist. Her swallow and chewing reflexes have improved so much that she has been placed on a regular diet now. She still has to have thickened fluids but they don't think that will be the case for much longer. The therapist said her positive attitude is really starting to show. Michele is laughing and joking with the staff. She is working harder than ever during her therapy sessions. She is determined to heal. She knows when she says a word wrong in therapy and says "no that is not right" and continues repetition until she gets the word right. I am so proud of my angel. Good night all." :)

06/21/2020 pm "Michele wanted to wish all the dads out there a Happy Fathers Day!
A special thank you to Col Ben & Alice and Ozark Outlaw and Ozark Red for their gift.
Astrid and I visited Michele at her window on Saturday. We found her in good spirits with lots of smiles. You could tell Astrid really brightened her day. Today I visited Michele. We had a good visit through her window. I spoke with her physical therapist this week and he said she continues to get stronger. On the parallel bars she is walking 10-15 ft at a time. They started her on a walker this week to see how she could do. Her right side is still week but getting stronger. Still no activity with her right arm and leg.
Amanda, Michele really enjoyed your letter. It made her laugh and cry with joy.
Good night all."

06/27/2020 am. "Work allowed me to visit Michele at her window every evening this week. It was so good to see her smiling face. Her spirits are good and she continues to slowly improve. Her speech seems to be getting better each week as long as she does not try to speak to fast. She is frustrated at times because the healing process is not fast enough for her. Her appetite is good, so good that they are no longer using her PEG tube. Hopefully we can get this removed soon. Astrid and I are planning a visit this evening. Michele loves all the cards so keep them coming. The staff says she is the most popular resident there."

06/28/2020 pm. "Astrid and I visited Michele on Saturday. She was so glad to see her baby. Astrid always brightens her day. Sunday I had a good visit with Michele. She told me we didn't have to talk as she staired into my eyes. So we spent the majority of the visit just looking at each other. She seemed so happy. She promised me she would continue to work hard during her therapies. The resident across the hall from Michele fell in their room and started to call help. Michele started to yell help me which brought the staff to the residents room. Even in her handicapped state, Michele still helps others. I was so proud of her. Keep the prayers and cards coming. Good night all."

06/30/2020 pm. "Tue I got back early enough to visit Michele that evening. I was greated with smile and a "Hi baby" and that really made my day. She looks great. While we were visiting she started rubbing her right hand and told me it hurt some. I am hoping that this is a good sign meaning she is getting feeling back to her right side. This morning I will call the rehab to see if they are allowing visitors yet. I truly hope so. Good night."

07/03/2020 pm. Re Michele Hunter.
"I was able to visit Michele at her window Tue-Fri this week. I found her in good spirits and full of smiles.
She wanted me to say hello to all the cowboys and cowgirls shooting this weekend at Byhalia, MS. We have attended this shoot since 2003 so she was a little disappointed that we will miss it. Be sure to burn some powder for us!
A special thank you to Kay in Santa Fe for the gift. Michele enjoyed the card. Michele reads all of her cards thoroughly, so keep them coming. They brighten her day.
We hope you all have a great 4th! Good night."

07/06/2020 p.m. "Astrid and I visited Michele at her window perch. She was very happy to see us. Astrid and I had to jump back in the truck to avoid the pop up summer showers. Michele just smiled at us.
Today I received a pleasant surprise when Michele facetimed me this morning. She just wanted to say hi, that she loved me, and to make sure I was going to visit her this afternoon. I visited her this afternoon and found her very happy. As we were talking, she told me that she is started to regain feeling on her right trunk, right shoulder, right side of her neck. I was so happy to hear that and you could see the satisfaction on her face. Hopefully this progress will continue to happen. Good night all."

07/12/2020 pm. "This weekend I found Michele in good health, however Friday and Saturday she was extremely depressed. Who could blame her with the hell she is living through. I brought Astrid to visit her on Saturday and that helped some. Sunday I found her in better spirits. I spoke with her nurse and if she goes a certain amount of time, I forget, without losing weight, the PEG tube will be removed. I will find out in two days if visits inside will be allowed again. I hope so for her sake. She needs that physical contact to raise her spirits."

11 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
07/12/2020 pm. "This weekend I found Michele in good health, however Friday and Saturday she was extremely depressed. Who could blame her with the hell she is living through. I brought Astrid to visit her on Saturday and that helped some. Sunday I found her in better spirits. I spoke with her nurse and if she goes a certain amount of time, I forget, without losing weight, the PEG tube will be removed. I will find out in two days if visits inside will be allowed again. I hope so for her sake. She needs that physical contact to raise her spirits."

Keep those cards flowing gang. Got one with me now to mail.

07/15/2020 am. "Yesterday the rehab was supposed to open again for visitations. I received some bad news that morning. The rehab has to go 28 days without a positive Covid test before they can allow visitors. This weekend, they had two employees that tested positive for Covid. So now we are looking at August before visitations can start. I get to break the news to Michele this evening."

:(

Sad news indeed!!

Please offer her my best wishes and pass along a virtual hug!!

I've learned this Covid-19 is nothing to make light of.

Here in Ontario Canada, it got into the Long Term Care and Nursing Homes, partially spread, due to PCWs working in more than one Home.

To date, I have lost my brother-in-law in an Ottawa facility, one cousin in one Hamilton and another in London.

My sister-in-law has recovered from the bout of it she had.

It really affects those of us with comprised health conditions. 

Stay safe and take precautions.

8 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I've learned this Covid-19 is nothing to make light of.

Here in Ontario Canada, it got into the Long Term Care and Nursing Homes, partially spread, due to PCWs working in more than one Home.

To date, I have lost my brother-in-law in an Ottawa facility, one cousin in one Hamilton and another in London.

My sister-in-law has recovered from the bout of it she had.

It really affects those of us with comprised health conditions. 

Stay safe and take precautions.

I’m sorry to hear that, Kid.  It’s too bad, the facilities themselves are introducing the virus amongst the most vulnerable.  Please be careful.

Cat Brules

07/17/2020 pm. "During my visit yesterday, I was told we could bring food items in again. This evening I surprised Michele with a plate from one of her favorite Mexican restaurants, shrimp wrapped in bacon and all the fixings. She was so happy and I don't think I have ever seen anyone enjoy a meal so much. She ate all her shrimp and spent the rest of the time visiting with me. The content look on her face was priceless. If she continues to eat like this that PEG tube will come out soon. She continues to slowly improve with no set backs. Each day I get to visit she shows me the pile of cards she has received. Those cards and flowers really help her during this isolation. Thank you all"

07/19/2020 pm. "I found my angel in good spirits both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday I surprised her with some of her favorite chocolates. The happy look on her face was priceless. You should have seen the look of determination she had to open one of the foil wrapped chocolates with only one hand. Once she was successful the took a bite and her eyes rolled up as she enjoyed the sweet treat. Sunday she received a visit from Astrid and she was very glad to see her. Her feeling on her right side comes and goes. Today she told me she could feel the right side of her race. Keep those thoughts and prayers coming."

07/20/2020 pm. "I got to visit my angel today through her window. I found her in great spirits and full of smiles. We talked and laughed together. She told me she had feeling in her right side today including her right arm. So glad to hear that. She is rationing her chocolate even though I told her I would bring her more. She is so funny. Again, she thoroughly enjoys your cards so please keep them coming. She shows me her stack of cards she receives each week. Good night all."

07/26/2020 am. "Yesterday I surprised Michelle with cammarrones el diablo, extra spicy for supper. She was so excited that she was doing a little happy dance in the wheelchair. The sounds coming from her after the first bite was pure food ecstasy, as her eyes rolled up into her head. She does better eating with one hand than most do with two. After eating all her shrimp she told me she was fat and happy now. Mission accomplished! We had a good visit the rest of the time. Her speech is better at times but we have to remember the whole right side of her tongue is still numb. Feeling on her right side comes and goes and she seems happy with the progress. I spoke with an aide yesterday and she said Michele was an absolute delight to work with, so sweet, kind, and thoughtful. Her pleasant attitude continues to shine even though debilated."

07/31/2020 pm. "I wanted to share some good news with you. This past Sunday, Michele started getting muscle spasms in her right arm and leg that she could feel. She has been experiencing these all week. Today I received word from her nurse that she has gained weight and they are discussing moving the peg tube next week. I also spoke with her physical therapist and he said she walked 15 ft today using the parallel bars and with no assistance from the therapist. She is lifting her right leg and foot all on her own! I am so proud of her!"

23 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
07/31/2020 pm. "I wanted to share some good news with you. This past Sunday, Michele started getting muscle spasms in her right arm and leg that she could feel. She has been experiencing these all week. Today I received word from her nurse that she has gained weight and they are discussing moving the peg tube next week. I also spoke with her physical therapist and he said she walked 15 ft today using the parallel bars and with no assistance from the therapist. She is lifting her right leg and foot all on her own! I am so proud of her!"

This is indeed Great News!!

08/03/2020 pm.  "I was able to visit Michele at her window this evening. I saw a USPS box on her bed so I asked her what she received. She's pulled out the biggest and most beautiful hand fan that I have ever seen. She absolutely loved it! I believe we have Aspen Filly to thank for the gift. So Michele said thank you and she loves it! Michele was in good spirits today and full of smiles. Her speech seemed better today. When saying words with f's at the beginning of the word, she would pronounce with th's but not today. Her f words came out clear. I spoke with an aide today and she said Michele was a pleasure and very independent. I am so proud of her and her determination. Good night all."

08/09/2020 pm. "Friday she was in good spirits and very proud of what she accomplished in therapy. I did not get to talk to the therapist so I am not quite sure what she accomplished.
Saturday I surprised her with two shrimp entrees from Red Lobster. She enjoyed them very much. Her comprehension was a little off though. She misunderstood me twice and got upset. I have no idea what she thought I was saying.
Sunday, Astrid and I visited her and she was so very glad to see her baby. Her comprehension was back to normal and we had a good visit. She still has her Peg tube so I will contact the nurse tomorrow to find out why it has not been removed. I spoke with an aide today and she said the rehab is supposed to open for visitation on Aug 28. It will be by appointment only and only for 30 min per visitor. I will update ya'll when I hear more."

08/16/2020 pm. "Rehab contacted me earlier in the week and asked me to pick up some high top shoes to aid in Michele's walking therapy. Her brace can fit inside the high top to prevent foot drop. She continues to get stronger with that right leg. Saturday her good friend from Fort Worth came to visit her. Michele was so glad to see her. They visited for over an hour. For supper that night I brought her 4 types of her favorite sushi. She was so happy about that. Sunday, Astrid and I visited, and as usual Astrid made her day. Her speech was better today. Some of her words were clear as day. She is a fighter and refuses to give up. I am so very proud of her."

08/17/2020 pm. "I received some good news from Michele's speech therapist today. Her swallow reflexes have improved so much that the therapist is removing her from thickened fluids. She also told me that Michele had her best speech session last Thursday. Michele read every word, phrase, and sentence that was placed in front of her with total clarity, clear as a bell. Michele continues to improve each week."

Archived