SASS Wire Forum

Brain-picking time again

Alpo

If you lived on the beach, would you like a house that had (as it said in the on-line story) "an entire glass wall that looked out upon the ocean"?

Now, this story is taking place in southern Massachusetts, and maybe things is different up there, but having lived about 95% of my life on the Gulf coast, I wouldn't have a house on the beach to begin with. And if I was so foolish as to live on the water, I most certainly would not have a glass wall facing the water.

Perhaps, instead, an ocean front property on a cliff side, California?

(What could go wrong?)

Banane01.gif

As a guy who lives across the street from a beach in MA, there are pluses and minuses.  Great views, great breezes in the summer, wonderfully dramatic views of incoming storms.  OTOH, sandblasting of glass by airborne beach sand; soft target for airborne debris during storms (install storm shutters).; wind driven rain penetration of every nook and cranny; sun, salt and sand attacks any paint, stain, or other finish; every metal fastener or fixture, unless it's stainless steel, will rust/corrode/degrade in 2-3 years.

My house walls are 80% glass; despite the drawbacks, nothing beats the view, the light and the breezes.

And if I could afford it, I'd be in the Caribbean, too.  Probably St. John or Turks and Caicos.

LL

I would love a glass wall with patio doors looking out at the ocean.

I lived in an apartment that had one living room wall with 16’ of glass with a patio door. It overlooked a golf course. I liked it. Nice view.

AHEM 

I'm going to speak a truism. I'll leave you to finish it:

"People who live in glass houses......................"

popCorn.gif

Alpo you come here to pick our brains?? You are assuming we have brains. I speak only for myself but my dad told me when I was a young whippersnapper "John if y'all had a brain you'd be dangerous." Since my dog knows Im a pushover and not dangerous I probably don't have a brain. Sorry Alpo I can not help you with your delema, (Problem).

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

AHEM 

I'm going to speak a truism. I'll leave you to finish it:

"People who live in glass houses......................"

popCorn.gif

Will cause me to relocate to a new neighborhood.;)

Alpo,

If you're picking another brain, as your title say "again"; then pick a bigger one. It'll leave you with fewer questions.:lol:

I’d get tired of hearing Mrs.Lose complaining about the dirty windows so, no I wouldn’t want windows like that.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:09 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

One other drawback of big glass walls - gawkers.  We get a ton of folks who walk/drive past and stare and stare and stare.

LL

Solve that problem with a little "Moon over Massachusetts"

kR

A story my Father told me!

There once was a King who wanted a unique castle to display his great wealth for all to see. He commissioned an architect to design a castle that would allow all who passed to see how extremely rich he was. After many rejected designs the architect came up with a solid glass house. The King was thrilled. Everyone who passed his house would see his great wealth and be suitably impressed. The only short coming of this house was that the glass was not strong enough to build a gigantic castle but only a smaller one. The King was unconcerned about the size as long as the people would be envious of his wealth. The house was built as designed and the Kings throne room and bed room were combined together to save space. The bed/throne room was too small to accommodate both the King’s bed and throne at the same time. So each night the throne was suspended by pulleys from the ceiling and the bed was lowered to the floor. One night the pulley system gave way, the throne crashed to the floor tragically killing the King. 

The moral of this story is:

People who live in glass houses shouldn’t stow thrones!

Archived