Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

It is with great sadness that I report the loss of a SASS club.

The Sloughhouse Irregulars based at Diamond Dicks Cowboy Town in Sloughhouse Ca. founded by the legendary Badlands Bud and presided over through the years by Presidents Black Jack Traven, Tippie Canoe, Sutter Lawman, Charlie Parkhurst, Deputy Ray and  Marlin Schofield is no longer a SASS affiliated club.

 

 Marlin

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marlin,

Are they still shooting at their normal monthly schedule?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading between the lines recently, I would offer this is the result of one individual not wanting play by SASS rules. This has been a great club with many fine individuals working hard over the years to keep it moving forward.

So as they say people can vote with their feet and choose whether or shoot with them or not. I would be a not.

Ike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they are still shooting Cowboy??

 

If so, why not be affiliated??

 

Phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We attended their match two weeks back.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Reading between the lines recently, I would offer this is the result of one individual not wanting play by SASS rules. This has been a great club with many fine individuals working hard over the years to keep it moving forward.

So as they say people can vote with their feet and choose whether or shoot with them or not. I would be a not.

Ike

Emphasis mine.

 

Regarding the first bold portion, that's a Sloughhouse Irregulars tradition. Irregulars was a play on the irregularity of the schedule (5th weekend days), but there was more to it. I remember coming up with rules to allow muzzle-loading rifles and shotguns to allow people to participate with rifles and shotguns more suited to a cap and ball revolver than a '94 and a Rossi Overland. We also had a strong contingent that shot in overalls (barely within the 1800s guidelines and according to Tex it is not acceptable to repair them with duct tape). Sure, we mostly played by SASS rules, but I've been to several clubs that had local, regional, special, or just wacky one-off rules. If everyone has fun safely, I don't know what there is to make a stink about. Sloughhouse Irregulars doesn't have an annual match, and I doubt they're in danger of having a State, Regional, or higher level match bestowed upon them. 

 

Regarding the second, I'd certainly hope that people can do so, but I'm sad to hear that you're going to walk. I don't know that SI ever had a speedo competition, but it wouldn't be the same without you :D

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Badlands Bud #15821 said:

 

Emphasis mine.

 

Regarding the first bold portion, that's a Sloughhouse Irregulars tradition. Irregulars was a play on the irregularity of the schedule (5th weekend days), but there was more to it. I remember coming up with rules to allow muzzle-loading rifles and shotguns to allow people to participate with rifles and shotguns more suited to a cap and ball revolver than a '94 and a Rossi Overland. We also had a strong contingent that shot in overalls (barely within the 1800s guidelines and according to Tex it is not acceptable to repair them with duct tape). Sure, we mostly played by SASS rules, but I've been to several clubs that had local, regional, special, or just wacky one-off rules. If everyone has fun safely, I don't know what there is to make a stink about. Sloughhouse Irregulars doesn't have an annual match, and I doubt they're in danger of having a State, Regional, or higher level match bestowed upon them. 

 

Regarding the second, I'd certainly hope that people can do so, but I'm sad to hear that you're going to walk. I don't know that SI ever had a speedo competition, but it wouldn't be the same without you :D

 

BUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

 

Yer alive!!!!!!!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So they are still shooting Cowboy??

 

If so, why not be affiliated??

 

Phantom

The problem is over the desire to allow shooting on the move, which is not allowed by SASS.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

BUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

 

Yer alive!!!!!!!

 

 

Technically, yes. I do still live in California ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sloughhouse Illregulars is alive and well, they are still shooting on the 5th Saturdays and Sundays. 

Doc Shapiro is running the club, if you have questions PM him instead of getting involved in wire gossip and speculation.

 

It is true that SI is no longer SASS affiliated at this time. 

 

Thanks,

Tully

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I started the were 8 clubs in mn that were sass affiliated.  The last time I checked the is now only 2. 

  All the clubs still shoot but for them the value to cost to be affiliated just wasn't there.  

 We regularly shoot at 2 of them.   Great people,  and a ton of fun.  

 

 I wish your club the best.  You have to do what's right by your customers.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So-This OP comes on(3 posts in 4 yrs)and stirs-the-pot, with no explanation. :huh:

Sure sounds like a personal agenda against the folks in that club. :rolleyes:

Sounds like someone who needs find another club, because I bet he has worn out his welcome. -_-

OLG

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that the affiliation with SASS does nothing for a local club unless they plan on having a regional or state level match. That said, there's some shooters that will shy away from a NON-SASS club. Just out of respect to the organization that started all this fun clubs should think about that! It's only $50.00 I think, big deal!! Everyone kick in a couple extra bucks if the club is that strapped for money!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I understand that the affiliation with SASS does nothing for a local club unless they plan on having a regional or state level match. That said, there's some shooters that will shy away from a NON-SASS club. Just out of respect to the organization that started all this fun clubs should think about that! It's only $50.00 I think, big deal!! Everyone kick in a couple extra bucks if the club is that strapped for money!!

 

Go back and re-read BB's first post.

The club shoots 'outside' of the SASS umbrella. ;)

OLG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Sounds like someone who needs find another club, because I bet he has worn out his welcome. -_-

OLG

 

Marlin Schofield is an excellent individual, cowboy and RO instructor. He's one to ride the river with. He's welcome at my club, GCWB anytime he wishes to join in and I'm sure that stands true for any cowboy club in our area.

 

Sloughhouse is not affiliated at this time because the current president wishes to push the shooters abilities beyond the SASS regulations, it's that simple.

 

Let's all just let this one be please, and move on to things pertaining to Affiliated SASS clubs and SASS shooting.

 

Thank you all for your consideration on this matter,

 

Tully

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lumpy no sour grapes, Marlin is a top notch cowboy, the TG for many of the clubs, and an RO instructor.  This is about that club not following a SASS rule that involves safety. The person now running that club has written some stages that allow shooting on the move like Western 3 Gun. Some shooters think this is unsafe and I understand at that shoot they didn't shoot on the move some did. So no SASS affiliation means they can do whatever they want. All Marlin is doing is letting SASS people know they are no longer required to play by the rules. Like our own club, we do many things that aren't SASS, like big bore rifles as part of a SASS stage. But we follow the SASS safety rules.

The OP was trying to let shooters know so they can choose whether or not to shoot with them.

Ike

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bud

Man it's Deja Vu all over again. I was just thinking about you the other day. Whatever happen to the young man who was going to college and finally let others win.

As you know ROOP has always done some things outside normal SASS Categories and equipment. We have our annual monthly match based on Josey Wales, 4 pistols, no shotgun, and big bore single shot rifles. And our annual match that has the Tom Horn category which includes big bore lever action and single shot rifles. And I remember SI doing similar things that made it fun. But neither club allowed things that didn't follow SASS safety rules. SO who knows.

 

And for the cringe factor I remain the 3 time world champion for the over 250 lb. speedo contest. We did retire the trophy with my third win.

 

I hope all is well with you. And life is treating you well, now that you are 'adulting' as they say.

Ike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Badlands Bud #15821 said:

Technically, yes. I do still live in California ;)

I'm in Colorado now... Stop by some time;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm in Colorado now... Stop by some time;)

I guess you moved…I hope it is a good move for you….

 

Texas Lizard

 

You didn’t move there to get into the weed business….

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

II and TM-I respect your opinion.

Just hope he is worthy, of your praise................-_-

IMHO-Sure sounded like a 'hit-piece' in the OP's post.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

The problem is over the desire to allow shooting on the move, which is not allowed by SASS.

 

13 hours ago, Tully Mars said:

Sloughhouse Illregulars is alive and well, they are still shooting on the 5th Saturdays and Sundays. 

Doc Shapiro is running the club, if you have questions PM him instead of getting involved in wire gossip and speculation.

 

It is true that SI is no longer SASS affiliated at this time. 

 

Thanks,

Tully

It is as simple as I stated. No gossip or speculation by me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Bud

Man it's Deja Vu all over again. I was just thinking about you the other day. Whatever happen to the young man who was going to college and finally let others win.

As you know ROOP has always done some things outside normal SASS Categories and equipment. We have our annual monthly match based on Josey Wales, 4 pistols, no shotgun, and big bore single shot rifles. And our annual match that has the Tom Horn category which includes big bore lever action and single shot rifles. And I remember SI doing similar things that made it fun. But neither club allowed things that didn't follow SASS safety rules. SO who knows.

 

And for the cringe factor I remain the 3 time world champion for the over 250 lb. speedo contest. We did retire the trophy with my third win.

 

I hope all is well with you. And life is treating you well, now that you are 'adulting' as they say.

Ike

I hope life it treating you easy, too! I can't complain, I've found a nice little niche and play with guns all day, every day.

 

Roop and OWSS (Chabot) were very much on my mind when I was approached by a couple of SASS shooters who were also re-enactors. They wanted to shoot their Civil War guns with live ammo and we worked out proper stage modifications (and proper, target-friendly loads!) to make it happen. I even shot a couple of matches in that category. It was a ton of fun.

 

Regarding the rule irregularities being related to safety, and hopefully without going too far out of bounds, there are SASS safety rules which should always be followed. Rules related to muzzle direction, loading procedures, guns leaving control of the shooter, etc., which are most necessary and should be followed absolutely. There are SASS safety rules which a half dozen or so shooting disciplines make a compelling argument are unnecessary.

 

Now, I understand the raised hackles and the discomfort. Going to a trap or skeet range scares me silly with guns slung over shoulders and muzzles resting on feet. There are some games which have safety rules which are simply anathema to the SASS shooter. That said, it sounds to me like everyone was able to shoot the stages safely. Those who felt they could not safely shoot while moving wisely chose not to shoot while moving. 

 

I would think that disagreement with the structure of the match would be more constructively discussed with the match director than with the SASS Wire. Maybe the Wire has mellowed since I was last passing through, but I seem to recall the Wire could take a week to come to no conclusion about an issue that the SI MD could address in maybe three emails, tops.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how the wire will do that... and run down soooo many rabbit trails in the process.

I'm sure the SI shoots are a hoot!

Moved from Fairfield to Middle GA 15 yrs ago. Miss you Sac area folks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Foks,

 

Following is the link for a thread on W3G. BTW, It was started by two SASS shooters, Lefty Longridge (Regulator) and Sam Houston, not a group of IPSC guys.

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/257832-western-3-gun-is-not-dead/

 

Unfortunately, I could not find any current information or the rules (there weren't many).

Things that I (IIRC) thought were B) :

1. Big close targets.

2. No scenarios. You walked a marked (marked by long flat boards) route and shot targets as they appeared.

3. You double tapped the targets with an overlay and single tapped the targets with a central flopper.

4. Targets were painted after every shooter. It wasn't really that time consuming.

5. You could load four in your SG. You could load two in a double.

6. No RO coaching.

7. Bonuses were easy to obtain and part of every set of targets except SG.

8. You shot R, P, SG.

9. The long gun racks were big pipe V s, with the opening facing the shooter. Very easy to use. I never saw a gun knocked down.

 

Regards,

 

Allie

 

  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While losing a SASS affiliated club isn't something that we want to see happen, it's sometimes necessary to be able to try different things that are not within the SASS guidelines.  To remain SASS affiliated yet not follow the mandated rules is to me a far bigger problem.

 

Shooting on the move is something we used to do in the old days and was done safely.  Those that could did, those who weren't comfortable with it didn't.  Somewhere along the way, the safety police decided it wasn't safe for a myriad of reasons and got the rule added.  We still have people falling while moving with loaded guns in hand so the rule hasn't prevented that from happening.  The basketball rule where folks have to stop quickly and usually out of balance is a far more dangerous activity in my opinion.

 

I personally think that if the Irregulars are successful with some innovative and fun changes, there might be a push to migrate new/old things back into SASS to freshen up the game some.  

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Safety ? Heck we all step over to the side berm and the posse loads  all guns, then we shoot in turn step to the other side berm and unload the brass and clear our own guns.

           ITs a private range on a farm. No one can see us behind the corn stocks.:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

PS To my knowledge W3G follows most SASS safety rules.

Yes they do. You have a LT and ULT just like SASS.

In W3G, you only load the SG where you stage it. Doubles are left open, and pumps and levers the chamber is empty.

You start 2 shells in the SG.

OLG

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmmmm , ive learned a lot from this thread - i appreciate all the input and open discussion , 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.