SASS Wire Forum

BP SUBS IN SHOTSHELL

Tequila Shooter

I'm thinking of loading BP sub in .45 Colt cartridge and 12 ga shotshell.  I've been reading up including http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.html  but I'm still not clear about shotshell.  Can I use a wad?  Or do I have to use cards to separate powder from wad and shot? 

PM me with your e-mail message and I will send you Hodgdon's load info for their subs in shotgun shells.  I use a plastic wad and do get melted plastic in my barrel that is easily removed during cleaning.

Plastic wads work just fine.  The plastic residue in the barrels cleans out easily, and I’m sure we will get a list of a dozen different ways to do it and they all work.  Real blackpowder and the substitutes are forgiving; you can tweak the powder and shot volumes to get a good solid crimp.  My 12 gauge recipe:  2.5 cc dipper of 2F powder (doesn’t make any difference, I’ve used them all) which is about 38 “grains”, white Claybuster wad, 1 ounce of shot.  Hulls with 8-point crimp shuck better for me than six point crimps, so mostly I Shoot Remington STS hulls.

Load these on both a MEC 600jr and a MEC 76 series Grabber

My favirite load is

12 Ga Rem Gun Club or Federal Top Gun hull

Primer of choice

Claybuster CB0178-12 Wad

35 grains by WEIGHT of 3F APP

Approx 7/8 oz of shot

Until I use up all the 2F app I have:  

12 Ga Rem Gun Club or Federal Top Gun hull

Primer of choice

Claybuster CB1100-12 Wad

40 grains by WEIGHT of 2F APP

Approx 7/8 oz of shot

Shot weights are approximate. I have an adjustable charge bar and adjust the shot charge to give me the perfect stack height.

After reading the curtrich article I'm thinking of using American Pioneer Powder 3F because then I can use the Hi Tek bullets that I already have for the .45 Colt.  Am I correct or won't that work?  Also I can use the same powder for the shotshells.

TC - go over to Sportsman's Warehouse and buy the Black MZ sub. Should be about $10 a bottle. 

Shoots fine with Hi-tec coated bullets and plastic wads in shotshells.

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

TC - go over to Sportsman's Warehouse and buy the Black MZ sub. Should be about $10 a bottle. 

Shoots fine with Hi-tec coated bullets and plastic wads in shotshells.

Rick - I've heard that MZ smells terrible which is why I didn't mention it.  Also from what I was able to see it looked closer to FF than FFF and I was trying to find something that would meter well in the 650.

Shot Cowboy Goex in shotgun for years.  Later the change to Triple Seven  3f...now  2f

59 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

Rick - I've heard that MZ smells terrible which is why I didn't mention it.  Also from what I was able to see it looked closer to FF than FFF and I was trying to find something that would meter well in the 650.

It is corse. I would not try to meter it through my 550 - I hand dip. But that's a small price to pay for the cost of Black MZ.

2 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

Around here everyone figured out Black MZ was a steal and it sold out.  Going to work up loads of Blackhorn 209 once I run out of black mz. 

@Still hand Bill Blackhorn 209 is not legal for use in SASS. It is considered a duplex powder. 

Well ...... Golly Gosh.  I have been running APP, both 2f and 3f for many seasons.  No problems.  For the shotgun, All Brass 12Ga Hulls, 45Gr 2f APP, Nitro over powder card, 10Ga Plastic wad w/Petals cut for a 1 Oz load ..... PRESTO.

There is no point in working up loads for Blackhorn 209.  At least not for SASS.  Blackhorn 209 is NOT LEGAL for SASS.  Don't sweat the smell of Black MZ.  Remember, your looking for Propellant.  Not Perfume.   A little dab'll du ya!!

29 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

Around here everyone figured out Black MZ was a steal and it sold out.  Going to work up loads of Blackhorn 209 once I run out of black mz. 

Besides, Blackhorn 209 is gowd awful expensive. 

If I couldn't get BlackMZ,  I'd use Grafs Reenactor. Cheapest black powder available to me.

I use triple 7 2f in my 38s loaded on a Dillon 650. 

2f or 3f BP in my 44s (those get dipped)

Shotshells I use 2f BP but am currently using up a few pounds of pyrodex that I bought cheap. 

I use a 3.1cc dipper of black or a MEC 39 bushing of Pyrodex with a Winchester white wad and 1 oz of shot. 

I found that plastic wads work well with all subs and real black powder. They are easier to load than card winds. It is easy to clean the plastic residue. Most important, they throw much better patterns than the card wads. More shot pellets on steel makes the knock downs go down. 

Archived