SASS Wire Forum

1866 Winchester Miroku?

Outrider, SASS #72622

The gun store here had two go through already. On their way to a collection Didn't even want to touch them because of the cost. Sure were pretty

Bought one a year or so ago in .45 Colt. Functions pretty smooth,has the nice wood. I just might have to shoot it this summer..............

Anyone know if this has the weak stock loading gate like the Uberti 66 does?

The shootin' version is out now. Just wondered.

I'm guessing your referring to the Uberti '66 clone, since the Miroku '66 is a whole lot more.........

Bought one a year or so ago in .45 Colt. Functions pretty smooth,has the nice wood. I just might have to shoot it this summer..............

You bought a Winchester by Miroku 66 a year ago? They only had a couple of engraved prototypes at the shot show a year ago. If you have a standard "production" model where did you get it?

I spoke with Winchester a month ago and they said the standard 66 would be in this year's catalog, probably around February. I nearly held off and waited for it, but then fell in love with their 73 more and got it instead. The case coloring on these Winchesters is just way too good looking to not have one. I'm sure I'll end up with a 66 from them as well, just not right away.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Winchester '66 in a "working/shooting" model, not simply an engraved show gun. Hopefully the caliber selection will be diverse and usable.

Edited by Dantankerous

I'm a hopeing for one in .38 WCF...

I know Dream on ... I would settle for one in .44 special ...

Jabez Cowboy

Jabez Cowboy

My guess would be 45 colt, 357 and 44-40 only. That's basing it off of what they did with the 73's

Jabez Cowboy

I would LOVE one in 44 Special. :)

I would LOVE one in 44 Special. :)

I got the Uberti 66 in 44 special .

Love it !

And Now with my two new 1872 Open Top 7 1/2 " 44 specials .

Cant wait to shoot this year .

If Im not still down with more Surgerys from my Motorcycle accident last year.

Is that the engraved one that came out last year?

I haven't bought one yet. I was looking at one in .38. It wasn't engraved.

Sorry I thought I was asking Knarley!! :lol:

You bought a Winchester by Miroku 66 a year ago? They only had a couple of engraved prototypes at the shot show a year ago. If you have a standard "production" model where did you get it?

My Bad!! Sorry!!! Was only seven years off, mine is a '73 :blink:

Jabez Cowboy

+1 Love the 38WCF

No, I'm not.

Ya know, I creeped on the Winchester website, and boy it looks rather nice.

Might have to make room in my gun cabinet.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1866/model-1866s-in-current-production/1866-short-rifle.html

Ya know, I creeped on the Winchester website, and boy it looks rather nice.

Might have to make room in my gun cabinet.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1866/model-1866s-in-current-production/1866-short-rifle.html

Thanks for posting this. I just checked last week and it wasn't there yet. Now I know what my next rifle will be

I picked up one the other day from GunBroker. The 38 spec with the 20in round barrel. Haven't had time to actually fire it, did some dry firing with dummy rounds. Cycling was smooth, but not like a well turned gun from one of the top smiths supporting SASS shooters. Actually smoother, than my stock Miroku 73. What is interesting the caliber is marked 38 special but the carrier is the same length as the 73 - .357 rifle. Rounds loaded to 1.57 inches cycled much better than the 38 spec length of 1.42 inches. Sorry no pictures - compared to the non-shootable 150th year commemorative rifle fit and finish are about the same. Course the wood on the commemorative is outstanding compared to the stock gun and the bluing looks slightly darker on the commemorative. Price was the same as the Uberti's on Gunbroker.

I picked up one the other day from GunBroker. The 38 spec with the 20in round barrel. Haven't had time to actually fire it, did some dry firing with dummy rounds. Cycling was smooth, but not like a well turned gun from one of the top smiths supporting SASS shooters. Actually smoother, than my stock Miroku 73. What is interesting the caliber is marked 38 special but the carrier is the same length as the 73 - .357 rifle. Rounds loaded to 1.57 inches cycled much better than the 38 spec length of 1.42 inches. Sorry no pictures - compared to the non-shootable 150th year commemorative rifle fit and finish are about the same. Course the wood on the commemorative is outstanding compared to the stock gun and the bluing looks slightly darker on the commemorative. Price was the same as the Uberti's on Gunbroker.

They're already available on gun broker? I figured they wouldn't be readily available until well into this year.

I've been watching GB pretty close and have not yet seen the "working" model of the Winchester Miroku 1866 advertised. (As opposed to the fancy, pricey engraved '66). I've really been wanting to compare the Miroku '66 to the Uberti '66. If it is anything like the Miroku '73 it should be a hit with guys like us.

Caliber and loading gate design are a couple of my main curiosities concerning the new Winchester Miroku '66.

It looks like this '66 is being featured on the Winchester website as new offering for 2017 but Winchester does not provide a lengthy detail list for all models coming out.

By the way, I do not see the new Winchester 1866 offered yet on Impact Guns, Buds Guns, Guns America, or Buffalo Arms. Makes me think if there was one on GB, it was an anomoly.

Edited by Dantankerous

I was on Gun Broker last night and found two "working class" new Winchester 66 short rifles. Both are in 38spl. I am really interested in purchasing one of these fine rifles in 44/40. I also want it with a 24" barrel. I have a Miroku 73 short rifle and it's a great rifle. Glad to see they are getting on the market.

Cheatin'

Edited by Cheatin' Chamberlin

Ok. This morning I see three Winchester 1866 short rifles in .38 on GB.

Hopefully we'll see more avaliable soon.

Edited by Dantankerous

That's curious, I talked with Tammy at Winchester last week and she told me that the 1873's were sold out until Oct/Nov when a new shipment was coming in, and that the 1866's would be available in February. I informed her to tell the website design group that the needed to change the "1886" to "1866" on the website page. So it is interesting that the regular 1866, that she said would be 1299.99 is out.

How does the loading gate tab look? Have you taken the side plates off yet?