SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of AR's...

Speaking of AR's, well... with the advent of more "anti-" regs in this state, I decided to buy myself a "lower" while I could.

As was discussed in another thread, they definitely ain't cheap in these parts! Calls through three counties found most places sold out - no surprise there! And the few places who still had 'em were priced at $150 to $350 for a bare-bones, stripped lower receiver. Yeah, I know you can get 'em for like fifty bucks in some places, but... this ain't some places. :(

I found a dealer who had two remaining in stock. So, I bought one. $149 for a "Stag," whoever that is. Believe it's forged; a machined "billet" model was another hundred bucks. Nice, but not a hundred bucks nice.

And I got to give the State of California fifteen bucks for the privilege of taking a test for a "Firearms Safety Certificate", good for five years... the first ten days of which will be spent waiting through the State's glorious "Cooling Off Period."

So... Now what? I know next to zilch 'bout 'em... so will be entertaining all suggestions on parts - "upper receivers," barrels, triggers, and so forth. Oh... and caliber! Do I want to go with the standard 5.56, or something more exotic? And I'll sick the Kid on assembling the thing ~ he put together a dandy 11 lb example a few months ago. Not loaded down with geegaws; just heavy, long barrel and a large scope, chambered in 6.5 Grendel. It would be hell on coyotes and ground squirrels... if we were still allowed to have lead-based bullets.

Well... Did I need one? Nope. Not hardly. But when some elected knothead in a suit tells me I don't need one, well... I gotta have one! ;)

Well... Did I need one? Nope. Not hardly. But when some elected knothead in a suit tells me I don't need one, well... I gotta have one! ;)

There it is. Exactly. :)

There are some good videos on doing builds, just check Youtube and you will find several that talk you through it step by step.

For caliber - you can have more than one upper. No reason that you can't have uppers in 5.56, .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, and others.

Howdy:

Good move - I virtually purchased two virtual lowers and virtually put them together - as they used to say in my time - easzy peasy - and they are virtually quite accurate. I suspect they will be calling all of them in with a forced compensation offer (they use the nebulous "buy Back" term- how can they buy BACK what they never owned? It will be force confiscatory compensation (at a really unfair price - guaranteed! Grrr

STL Suomi.

For your first build, I'd stick with a 5.56.

My .02 for ya....

I have thought about 2 different AR uppers in the last few years. Only exist in thought/virtual reality, as I would never buy one of those "assault weapons" in real life. One was a standard A4 style where I removed the A4 flat top rail and added all kinds of do-dads and sights/optics etc. It was heavy. And while it was fun at the range, It didn't really suit me for anything else.

The second is a target/varmint barrel with a mid-grade variable scope and 45 degree backup sights. This one is perfect for coyotes (if I'm not using a lever or bolt gun). It's got a fast twist so I can properly stabilize heavier bullets and take it out to the limits of the 223 round. And with the backup sights, if we get a coyote in close, I don't have the scope handicap to worry about. A few things I like that I would put on other lowers are the "B.A.D. Lever" and the mount for a single point attaching sling.

Whatever upper you get, get it set up for what you want to use it for. Give that some good thought before you purchase the upper. If you're going to do all bench shooting and want to get out there, get a good target barrel. If it's just going to be for plinking within 100 yards at the range, I'd go with a standard flat top receiver and add what you want for optics and sights.

As for brand, that depends on how much you want to spend. Both of my uppers were RockRiverArms. They are, in my opinion, excellent products at mid to mid-high price range. I worked with a guy that built one of their AR10's. He has a private 1500 yard range at his families ranch and he couldn't stop talking it up (the gun not the range). I have had no issues with either of mine. They also have quite a bit to choose from and you can upgrade anything you want directly from their site when you order. I'm assuming that you'd have to go through an FFL in Kalifornia, but it's a brand I wouldn't say no to.

Marshall, surprisingly, no. They haven't figured that part out yet; at present, the only restrictions are on lowers... Sassparilla Kid had everything else he needed for his build delivered by UPS or the Post Office - including barrel and magazines (limited to 10 rounds, of course)! ^_^

.223/5.56 is the cheapest to shoot.

6.5 Grendel is apparently amazing for longer distances as the 6.5mm bullet has received an insane amount of time in R&D lately and has great BC options for low drag and flat trajectory.

Building a lower isn't hard. Start with a good adjustable stock like a magpul prs for any long range toys. There are some seriously awesome trigger packs out there. The pistol grip is likely going to be the most difficult choice.

Howdy:

Good move - I virtually purchased two virtual lowers and virtually put them together - as they used to say in my time - easzy peasy - and they are virtually quite accurate. I suspect they will be calling all of them in with a forced compensation offer (they use the nebulous "buy Back" term- how can they buy BACK what they never owned? It will be force confiscatory compensation (at a really unfair price - guaranteed! Grrr

STL Suomi.

IIRC, after requiring their registration, California initiated a "buy back" of SKSs several years ago. Why would anyone invest money in registered ARs or lowers believing their politicians don't intend to do the same?

I do believe that the only restrictions on SKS's in California are aftermarket, removable magazines capable of holding more than ten rounds, and having a grenade launcher lug.

The store where I bought my AR lower has SKS's in stock, and for sale. They're quite legal.

And as far as the population turning in anything... well... read here: Los Angeles Magazine Ban

My God-given 2nd Amendment tells me that it's a civil

I do believe that the only restrictions on SKS's in California are aftermarket, removable magazines capable of holding more than ten rounds, and having a grenade launcher lug.

The store where I bought my AR lower has SKS's in stock, and for sale. They're quite legal.

And as far as the population turning in anything... well... read here: Los Angeles Magazine Ban

"The misdemeanor does allow us to take the guns away,” she said. “It allows us to destroy guns, or in this case, magazines. We have a great capacity to stop someone from going further, and if they do go further, then we have the misdemeanor conviction to be more effective in prosecuting them the next time.”"

The real agenda

GG ~ :FlagAm:

responsible thing to do to have one. ;)

So back to the original topic... it's gonna take me a while to get around to everything, but I'm thinkin' of a "retro" approach to the thing ~ like an A2 buttstock and triangular handguard, IF I can find 'em. And an upper with a handle! (Although it might be removable). ^_^

I do have simple tastes. :)

Well... it'll have a bullet BUTTON.

And most likely one of the Subdeacon Joe recommended "bullet button ban bypass" gizmos. :mellow:

Absolutely correct, Joe! :)

It'll inactivate the Boolit Button and make the rifle lee-gul. ;)

Uh... make that "virtual Boolit Button~!" ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, y'all... opinions please? :)

Joe and Slim recommended Palmetto, and I got on their mailing list, and just got this notice of the "weekend speshul...."

Upper Assembly

:rolleyes:

Speaking of AR's, well... with the advent of more "anti-" regs in this state, I decided to buy myself a "lower" while I could.

As was discussed in another thread, they definitely ain't cheap in these parts! Calls through three counties found most places sold out - no surprise there! And the few places who still had 'em were priced at $150 to $350 for a bare-bones, stripped lower receiver. Yeah, I know you can get 'em for like fifty bucks in some places, but... this ain't some places. :(

I found a dealer who had two remaining in stock. So, I bought one. $149 for a "Stag," whoever that is. Believe it's forged; a machined "billet" model was another hundred bucks. Nice, but not a hundred bucks nice.

And I got to give the State of California fifteen bucks for the privilege of taking a test for a "Firearms Safety Certificate", good for five years... the first ten days of which will be spent waiting through the State's glorious "Cooling Off Period."

So... Now what? I know next to zilch 'bout 'em... so will be entertaining all suggestions on parts - "upper receivers," barrels, triggers, and so forth. Oh... and caliber! Do I want to go with the standard 5.56, or something more exotic? And I'll sick the Kid on assembling the thing ~ he put together a dandy 11 lb example a few months ago. Not loaded down with geegaws; just heavy, long barrel and a large scope, chambered in 6.5 Grendel. It would be hell on coyotes and ground squirrels... if we were still allowed to have lead-based bullets.

Take the cert. test for handguns as that includes long guns. The long gun cert. doesn't cover handgun buys.

I deal with these folks all the time and they are GTG.

http://www.primaryarms.com/

OLG

Oh, I'm on my second handgun cert... which, by the way, doesn't cover long guns - I had to "re-cert" to get the general "Firearms Certification" card when I bought the lower.

Thinkin' I'd like to go for the "retro" look - already found an A2 stock, and ol' Palouse sent me a triangular handguard... haven't decided yet if I want an original carry handle upper or a flat topped with a removable sight/handle... :)

If you had a Handgun Safety Cert.(HSC)that would cover a person buy'n a long-gun till it expires.

The new ones are called 'Firearm Safety Certificate'(FSC) and cover both HG and long-guns.

I won't post my opinion of them, as AM would blush while she beats me with that dang stick of hers. :lol::P

What little I do know about the FSC was when my wife rec'd hers.

OLG

The FSC was a cakewalk.... just more of the "can you let a baby have a handgun for a pacifier" kinda questions. I s'pose that if someone couldn't pass that thing they shouldn't have any sort of firearm, but it was still a nuisance. Hmm... interesting about the HSC... but they wouldn't take it. Ah well; I'm good to go for a bunch of years. And, depending on the next few year's political scene in this state I may be gone by the time I'd need a new one anyway.

Now, to collect the rest of the AR parts. Not in a hurry, but still lookin' forward to getting it together maybe before winter. :)

PSA (Palmetto State Armory) sells some good uppers but avoid their PTAC brand. PTAC Uppers are made of lower cost parts from different venders. Freedom Uppers are build from better quality parts and are gtg.

JSE Surplus sells good uppers with Wilson Arms barrels.

My impression of the new law in California is it kills the appeal of AR's with the new restrictions (which I am sure is the intent of the new laws). I would buy several lowers with the expectation of selling them for a tidy profit after November when Hillary wins the election.

I live about 3 miles from PSA and frequently shop there. They have a VERY wide range of kits available but I would recommend staying away from their lower priced offerings. You do get what you pay for. Another good option is looking into companies like Delton who have full upper kits available. Decide what your main purpose for the rifle will be, shop accordingly, and avoid the urge to load your rifle down with fancy gizmos. I have three with Stag lowers and Delton uppers. All excellent performers.

Howdy,

Consider the 1 in 7 twist barrel. Usually quite compatible with 69 grain bullets.

A little more reach if needed.

They should shoot the popular 55 grain just fine.

And the forearm with numbered notches looks like a pretty good idea.

Keeps future options open.

And consider a 2-7x redfield scope. Quite clear and bright, not too expensive.

Best

CR

Well, to try to keep this on topic, I'll start this with: I spent 21 years on active duty and retired as a US Army Chief Warrant Officer 3. My primary weapon was the M16A1. I liked it but was never so enamored with it that I thought it necessary to purchase an AR-15 as a substitute security blanket. I was a small arms repairman before making Warrant Officer so I can fix and build an AR15 with all the parts and tools supplied. When the stuff hit the fan in 2012 and the gun ban craze swept the nation in 2013 AR prices went through the roof, I thought about getting one, but my wife thought it to expensive and she couldn't wrap her head around having an "assault weapon" in the house. Did I mention I was in the Army?

I work in a gun shop and a week after this discussion with my wife, a gentleman came in with a Mini-14. He wanted $750.00 for it. I bought it on the spot. I then added some upgrades, like military style rear sight, flash suppressor, bayonet lug and a barrel harmonics attenuator. The rifle shoots almost as good as my friends AR, but the best part is that it looks closer to a mini M14 now. (Pictures will follow). I submit that a Mini 14 is an acceptable substitute for an AR15. It also helps If you can get your hands on Mini 14 magazines, I did with little trouble.

Built my wife a Rock River lower and DPMS upper "lightweight".

Built my "commando" with a DPMS lower and a Bushy Upper.

Got 5 Essential Arms lowers I am still thinking on what to do with.

About 100 30rnd mags new in plastic I ordered about 2 years before CProducts went to hades.

Takes money and about 30 minutes to buy whatever firearms I want.

No restrictions.

No stupid classes or cards.

Walked in and bought my SASS Ruger Vaqueros while my 18 wheeler was parked on street. Took 30 minutes total "off duty" in the logbook.

I love living in FREE AMERICA.

Wish we all did.

Archived