SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of AR's...

I wish we all did too, Medic. :(

Well, I've pretty much decided I want the "retro look." To that end, I have an A2 stock, and ol' Palouse just sent me an A1 "triangular" handguard. Half-Breed Pete's gonna sell me a new (old but never used) carry handle upper. Gonna be lookin' for a 20" 5.56 chambered barrel... and of course all the other parts and such. Plus the California nonsensical pieces... <_<

Not in a hurry at all though. :)

Well, to try to keep this on topic, I'll start this with: I spent 21 years on active duty and retired as a US Army Chief Warrant Officer 3. My primary weapon was the M16A1. I liked it but was never so enamored with it that I thought it necessary to purchase an AR-15 as a substitute security blanket. I was a small arms repairman before making Warrant Officer so I can fix and build an AR15 with all the parts and tools supplied. When the stuff hit the fan in 2012 and the gun ban craze swept the nation in 2013 AR prices went through the roof, I thought about getting one, but my wife thought it to expensive and she couldn't wrap her head around having an "assault weapon" in the house. Did I mention I was in the Army?

I work in a gun shop and a week after this discussion with my wife, a gentleman came in with a Mini-14. He wanted $750.00 for it. I bought it on the spot. I then added some upgrades, like military style rear sight, flash suppressor, bayonet lug and a barrel harmonics attenuator. The rifle shoots almost as good as my friends AR, but the best part is that it looks closer to a mini M14 now. (Pictures will follow). I submit that a Mini 14 is an acceptable substitute for an AR15. It also helps If you can get your hands on Mini 14 magazines, I did with little trouble.

I have a mini as well. It's a nice little carbine but not as accurate as my AR.

Archived