SASS Wire Forum

Double barrel SxS? Need schooling !

Dusty Chaps, SASS #5925

If you read my other post - the broken Stoeger - well, I've had three now.

Time to step up to a better shotgun. Hammerless for me.

By the way, I tend to shoot Outlaw (shotgun from the hip) at our monthly matches.

I have a few 97's to play with too.

So... here goes....

Which double? SKB, Beretta, Browning, another new Stoeger, ??

I don't know the difference between the different models in each line either. I'll be researching.

Tuner? Johnny Meadows, Goatneck Clem, or...

(I'll probably have to sell off something in the safe to make room - mayne a little-used S&W 625-5 in 45 Colt?)

This should be interesting - - Thanks

I've got three SKB's, love them to death. But I did shoot one of the new Cimarron's tuned by Johnny Meadows and it was pretty nice as well. An SKB or Browning will set you back $1200-1400 tuned. I think the Cimarrons are around $800 tuned?

remember that the SKB's are inertia reset on the trigger, so real light loads might be a problem, especially from the hip. You can have it converted to mechanical, but I have not had any trouble with any of my three. I shoot outlaw on occasion as well, sometimes BP, sometimes all at the same time. Two were tuned years ago by Shotgunner, the last by Goatneck.

Like Goody and Shooting Bull, I also have 2 Johnny Meadows SKBs (100 w/splinter forearms) that have been reliable and performed way better than I can. Well worth the price.YMMV

Although mine is a hammered double, I'll throw another recommendation for Johnny Meadows. The guy is a class act and does incredible work. You can't go wrong with any gun he touches.

You can not go wrong with a shot gun done by Johnny Meadows.I have 2 that he did for me and one 410 he did for my grand son.He does great work and is a great guy to do business with.Buying from him or selling to him.

I started with an SKB 100, bought an SKB 200, love them both still have them.

Most recently bought a BSS. The BSS is heavier, the mechanical trigger is a smidge more reliable with super light loads than the SKB's inertial connector.

If you do not use loads less than 1 ounce of shot and like a lighter shotgun, go with the SKB.

If you use shot loads under 1 ounce and/or are very recoil sensitive, go with the BSS,

I know SKB inertial connectors can be converted to mechanical connectors. Mine have not been converted and I have never shot a converted SKB so I cannot comment on that issue.

Best thing to do is shoot each one and see how it feels to you. There are a lot of both around, your pards should be able to let you experiment.

There's another one you might like, the Baikal. Rebecca West has one for sale, it's race ready from Johnny Meadows. (Never used) No hammers, double triggers - fair price.

There's another one you might like, the Baikal. Rebecca West has one for sale, it's race ready from Johnny Meadows. (Never used) No hammers, double triggers - fair price.

+1 I can only speak for the Baikal. I've had mine for umpteen years and love it. Rugged and reliable.

I've got three SKB's, love them to death. But I did shoot one of the new Cimarron's tuned by Johnny Meadows and it was pretty nice as well. An SKB or Browning will set you back $1200-1400 tuned. I think the Cimarrons are around $800 tuned?

remember that the SKB's are inertia reset on the trigger, so real light loads might be a problem, especially from the hip. You can have it converted to mechanical, but I have not had any trouble with any of my three. I shoot outlaw on occasion as well, sometimes BP, sometimes all at the same time. Two were tuned years ago by Shotgunner, the last by Goatneck.

Talk to Johnny meadows about the cimmeron skb copy

I have an SKB 100 and a 200 both with mechanical trigger done by Roughneck Rod, it would be awful to try to go back to a Stoeger now (I liked it till I got an SKB). Didn't like the BSS, it just felt too blocky to me.

Randy

if you can find one, the Moroku 500 is a great work horse. I have 2 and would not trade them at any price.

Scratch

I have shot a BSS since 1972(dove, quail, pheasant, etc) I love the "blockiness". The wife and I both shoot BSS for SASS now. The only thing that could have been better, in my eyes, is if Ruger hadn't tried to get by with as little wood as possible in their short lived Gold Label.

Lefty Lin's BSS was originally done by a smith in Fla. I had problems with it at first and sent it to Goatneck 3 years ago. It has been bulletproof ever since. Mine was done by Cody and has always performed flawlessly.

If you need a cheap tough SxS get a Baikal they are heavy and tough I prefer to get them after Johnny meadows has tweeted them. If you want a lighter shotgun the go with subs from the same gunsmith.

Cody James, SASS Kicker and Kirk James all shoot SKB's done by Johnny Meadows. Cannot go wrong. He will do your action job on other models as well.

I was thinking older - like Stevens, Fox, L.C. Smith, Ithaca, Remington, Winchester, etc. I picked up an old Stevens 311A at a gun show for an attractive price. The Stoeger is the same design but the the Stevens is far better made.

I have shot Baikals since coming into SASS. My main match gun is nice but I shot J-Bar's BSS and it's in a whole different category. The only thing keeping me from owning one is the $1000+ I'd have to come up with.

Archived