SASS Wire Forum

Loose barrel on 1873 rifle

Hurricane Deck 100366

Pulled the mag tube on the newest 1873 tonight after the forearm seemed loose, to my surprise, the barrel rotated. I was able to unscrew the barrel totally off the receiver of this rife,

It has under 500 rounds through it.

So, I guess it's going back to Uberti. So,do I have to remove my marbles front sight, the short stroke kit, lightened hammer spring, butt stock cover and lever wrap before it goes back?

Had that happen to an Armisport .56-.50 Spencer in the middle of a string at a match once. I just held torsional pressure on it to finish the rest of the match, then after I got it home, I unscrewed it, doped it up good with Loctite, screwed it back in as tight as I could using hand pressure alone, with the help of a piece of rubber matting around the barrel to get a good grip on it. It's been that way for several years now, and no problems since.

I would contact Uberti and discuss this problem.

What's the fix? I believe the fix is to return the rifle to Uberti for a FULL, technical inspection, and repair, or replacement of the rifle. My first thought is that at least, the barrel should be replaced and the cuts be made to ensure correct alignments.

So, again, I suggest you start working with Uberti right away. I also suggest you consider retiring the rifle and NOT reassembling and firing it.

I am concerned that the barrel is over rotating by about 6 degrees to snug, I'm not sure I like the idea of peening this rifle. As expensive as they are, I expect the basic such as barrel fit and headspace to be right. I'm not terribly comfortable peening the barrel on this rifle.

I think I will at the very least contact Uberti customer service and see what they think. I downright HATE the diea of being without this rifle with shooting season this close. I know they will have for what will feel like forever.

It may be time to pull the 66 out, short storke it and shoot it as my match rifle while my "new" 73 us off for service.

If you end up sending the rifle back you should remove all your aftermarket parts. There is no guarantee you will get the same rifle back. Or that if you do it will still have all your aftermarket parts still installed.

Not saying they would but they could also use the "you modified the firearm so we are no longer responsible" line

Before I would peen the end of the barrel I would install a shim or shims so that when the barrel was properly tightened it was properly indexed. Then verify the head space was correct.

From an "I've been there and done that" standpoint, having returned a number of guns to Uberti when I still had my shingle out, the answerto your original question is: TA DA ....... YES.

It's highly unlikely you'll get the same rifle back. That is provided Uberti takes it back. Uberti will refer you to the importer you got the rifle from. Cimarron, EMF, Taylor's, etc. The importer will either ask Uberti for disposition or will send it to "their" gunsmith for repair or elect

replacement.

It's going to be "gone" for a while.

Coffinmaker

HD, just think for a second of all the take down rifles Winchester, Marlin, Savage, Mauser and many others made that the barrels were not tight in the receivers. Many of those had interrupted threads and were chambered in much higher pressure cartridges.

Has the rifle given you any trouble? Peen it. Shim it. Locktite it. Or do nothing but put it back as it and shoot it!

I've learned some new things lately since I've got my Ruger Presision rifle. I went to put a compensator on it and learned that I had two ways to go a crush washer or the way the compensator recommended using special washers that allow you to get the right position from the compensator by choosing the correct washer. I would buy a set of washers that are 20degree increments to allow you to get the barrel set right and use the appropriate loc tite and be done with it. If you send it back contact them first for several reasons first you'll need a R a authorization, second to find out if your custom parts will be removed and replaced by factory parts like Ruger does. And third they might have you use a local smith to fix it on their dime.

Hurricane, talk to RCD about it, there shims you can buy you probably need less than a thou to get it right.

Sending it to Uberti will mean kissing it goodbye for weeks.

Guest Grass Range #51406

Peening the shoulder of any barrel is never the answer as the marks will be visible. Taking a little bit off the back to so it goes around another turn may change headspace. If you intend to fix this yourself the threads can be set back which will tighten the barrel up.

HD,

Uberti seems to have had some barrel QC problems as of past couple of years. The barrel on my newest one ('73 in .45 Colt) is a total mess. The notch for the Extractor was cut too shallow so it was lifting the extractor off of the rim of the case. It was also blowing out cases right and left. After testing everything from the brass to the bore brush I used on it I sent it off to Johnny Meadows. Come to find out that the sides of the chamber where not parallel. The chamber has a much larger diameter at the muzzle end than it does at the breach end. From talking to JM the best we could figure is that the cutting tool they use to cut the chamber wobbled during the process. Thus the conical chamber.

IMHO, do yourself a favor and take it to your favorite gunsmith and check that barrel out from stem to stern.

I have sent a couple of Italian guns back to be fixed. While I received good customer service, I did not get the guns repaired. They where returned with a note saying there was nothing wrong with them. I actually returned them twice. Finally had gunsmith rebuild them.

So.... My advice would be to pay a good rifle smith to fix your rifle.

Peening the shoulder of any barrel is never the answer as the marks will be visible. Taking a little bit off the back to so it goes around another turn may change headspace. If you intend to fix this yourself the threads can be set back which will tighten the barrel up.

Not if done right. I could do it and you'd never know it, except the barrel wouldn't be loose....

Hurricane, talk to RCD about it, there shims you can buy you probably need less than a thou to get it right.

Sending it to Uberti will mean kissing it goodbye for weeks.

RCD was my first thought as he is in his area.

And it could be months that you don't see it.

Lots of Good Suggestions Given!

If you are not prepared to do the fix your self? I'd find a local Smith of competent cowboy smith. You've already got it apart. The fix would take only a few minutes. I'd be surprised if it would cost more than $40.00?? Your going to pay to ship it and who knows what will happen??

Regards,

Ringer

Not if done right. I could do it and you'd never know it, except the barrel wouldn't be loose....

I agree. Peen barrel in the area that is covered by wood. I can't imagine this causing any head space issues, if gun currently has none?

Back when we were building custom made muzzle loading rifles as a sideline, we always checked the barrels for runout of the bore to the barrel. We placed the runout down so we could have the rounds striking low. We would be able to adjust P.O.A. by filing the front sight lower to achieve that. Not sure how true today's barrels are drilled and rifled but it seems like any over-tightening of a barrel into a receiver would upset the P.O.A.. May not matter enough in CAS.

I find this real interesting fot two reasons.

First i have just received a steel frame henry from the inporter here in NZ, the barrel un screws by hand.

Secondly, all guns made in europe must be proof fired and the stamped to prove this.

The gun must head space to do this.

I dont belive the guns are proofed in the finished state but in the white, after proof the guns are finished and this is were the problem may start with loose barrels.

I the UK it the gun is taken apart and work done the maker dealer has to sent the gun for reproof, not sure if this is the case in Italy.

For me to get a replacement gun it will mean at least a six month wait.

The local gun smith has said to do the job correctly, machine the barrel and st the head space will be expencive, so he set tne barrel back in with lock tight which he said will not come out with out heat applied.

My issue is the gun is not new and warrented from the factory,.

Hello Hurricane,

If you e-mail to remind me, I will bring a 73 for you to use until you resolve this issue. Mae and I have several. I can't guarantee that it will work as fast for you as it will for Mae, but who knows, maybe.

Flat Top

A shim can be used between the barrel and receiver to index the barrel. It's called a breaching washer and several rifles use them.

One wrap of very thin safety wire pinched in the barrel step may work as well and is easier to make than a 2 or 3 thou. thick washer.

If headspace is ok you will not have to set the barrel back.

I've seen a couple of posts about "peening" the barrel and whether it will damage the looks. You don't peen the flats or sides of the barrel. Put the barrel in a padded vice with the chamber facing up. Then take a nice sharp punch and make a bunch of radial punch marks in the back surface of the barrel shoulder. Clean the threads on the barrel and in the receiver and apply some red loctite. Turn in the barrel until it is properly aligned. (If you need a barrel vice and action wrench make sure you have them on hand before the red loctire sets up.)

Hello Hurricane,

If you e-mail to remind me, I will bring a 73 for you to use until you resolve this issue. Mae and I have several. I can't guarantee that it will work as fast for you as it will for Mae, but who knows, maybe.

Flat Top

Thanks Flat Top, If I don't have it handled I will certainly get in touch with you.

Where can you get the shims?

I'm interested but for a more modern rifle. Should be 30 pounds or more torque but is only 18.

Marauder, I had to make a shim from .001 shim stock. I ended up stoning it down to .00084 to get the barrel to clock to zero degees at 36lbs. haven't shot it yet but it checks out okay with he go/no go guages. I get to see how it shoots later this week - here's hoping!

I would contact Uberti and discuss this problem.

What's the fix? I believe the fix is to return the rifle to Uberti for a FULL, technical inspection, and repair, or replacement of the rifle. My first thought is that at least, the barrel should be replaced and the cuts be made to ensure correct alignments.

So, again, I suggest you start working with Uberti right away. I also suggest you consider retiring the rifle and NOT reassembling and firing it.

What is your qualification to make this suggestion? Are you a gunsmith? Do you have experience with a similar situation?

With all that he has invested in goodies on the rifle, perhaps it is wise to explore other options first before throwing you hands up and running the other way out of fear!

And yes I have experienced a similar problem with a rifle from uberti and have had no trouble with it after a little application of loctite.

My $0.02

WK

It is interesting that it seems less trouble to sort the problem our selves rather that pass it back to the importers of the Uberti. Uberyi dont deal with it unless the importer asked for a replacement it seems.

I will only now buy second hand good condition guns.

good shooting.

Archived