SASS Wire Forum

Lee Load All II - Shot Shell Reloader

Marshal Flint

I've had one for about a year now, and it works fine. Mount it to a solid bench or table to help with consistency on crimps. We typically only shoot about a box per match and I have no problem keeping enough shells loaded for my son and I.

Hope this helps...

LS

I have used one for three years, about 2000 loads. It is a good value with a limited lifeti e. I spoon all powder charges since I load BP, Reddot and Clays. The powder container does not seal from moisture for longterm storage and cannot be removed.

I got a deal on this used unit but would buy a MEC jr if buying new.

I've had one for about a year now, and it works fine. Mount it to a solid bench or table to help with consistency on crimps. We typically only shoot about a box per match and I have no problem keeping enough shells loaded for my son and I.

Hope this helps...

LS

Yes, that was very helpful!

Thank you!

I use a load all as well as my 14 year-old daughter. It's a great start press for the money. I think we got ours used for $25 or so.

As long as you're using good quality hulls (AA hulls are all we use) and the proper wad you'll get good results.

For the money, it's hard to beat to get started! We can load enough shells in just a few hours to keep three shooters fully stocked during a 6 stage match (thats 18 stages X 6 shellls - so we make 125 shells for some flub room)

Big down sides (as mentioned) is the inability to easily empty shot and powder when you're done and since it's not environmentally sealed, leaving the powder in the hopper is a bad idea.

To combat the occasional "odd" crimp, we use a paper overshot card. we punch them out by the thousands using a hand held punch, a mallet and JUNK MAIL!

EDIT: We feed Promo through it and have no spillage issues and get nice light loads using a 26 gram payload. Sorry, can't post the powder charge but I be you can find it somewhere. it's been posted like 15.4 times.

Have one and loaded all my SG shells with it for the last 4 or 5 years. Good value for the money, makes usable shells.

If money were no object I might go with something else, but certainly think the LoadAll 2 is adequate for loading SG shells for me for CAS use.

Edit - HD - I leave powder in the hopper all the time and have yet to experience any ill effects from it. I just dump several loads of each powder and shot to be recycled into the hoppers before starting up a run. Then again, I live in a dry climate, were it more humid emptying the hopper might be more of an issue.

There are a number of videos on youtube on the lee load all, including work arounds for emptying the hoppers.

Here is my basic vid on how the thing works.

I think for the price, my Load All was worth "getting the ball rolling" so to speak. It worked just fine. As was mentioned, I had a few crimp issues, but with Win AA's, not many. I did have a few issues with hulls developing a little fold part way down the hull. But these issues were maybe one in fifty. (and probably my fault).

Anyway, if a Load All is all that will fit your budget at the moment, then by all means. It's easy to use, fairly compact and straight forward, and it will save you money (enough to pay for itself in short order if you prefer brass base/smooth hull shells) on shotshells so you can put those pennies toward a MEC someday.

Summary: If you can afford a MEC, get one. If not, a Load All will do quite well until you can.

SS

I use a load all as well as my 14 year-old daughter. It's a great start press for the money. I think we got ours used for $25 or so.

As long as you're using good quality hulls (AA hulls are all we use) and the proper wad you'll get good results.

For the money, it's hard to beat to get started! We can load enough shells in just a few hours to keep three shooters fully stocked during a 6 stage match (thats 18 stages X 6 shellls - so we make 125 shells for some flub room)

Big down sides (as mentioned) is the inability to easily empty shot and powder when you're done and since it's not environmentally sealed, leaving the powder in the hopper is a bad idea.

To combat the occasional "odd" crimp, we use a paper overshot card. we punch them out by the thousands using a hand held punch, a mallet and JUNK MAIL!

EDIT: We feed Promo through it and have no spillage issues and get nice light loads using a 26 gram payload. Sorry, can't post the powder charge but I be you can find it somewhere. it's been posted like 15.4 times.

Thanks HD! Any resource for the wads?

BTW....used the reloading block at the last match and got lots of good comments about it!

Thanks HD! Any resource for the wads?

BTW....used the reloading block at the last match and got lots of good comments about it!

Thats great to hear! I'm about ready to start production again now that the CNC is back up and running.

As far as wads, I'm very lucky in that I can buy them at Wal-Mart in my neck of the woods. I use the Claybuster CB0178-12 to great effect (they can be ordered online pretty easily). the 7/8 payload is just a tad under the 26 gram loading and perfect for our sport.

Have one and loaded all my SG shells with it for the last 4 or 5 years. Good value for the money, makes usable shells.

If money were no object I might go with something else, but certainly think the LoadAll 2 is adequate for loading SG shells for me for CAS use.

Edit - HD - I leave powder in the hopper all the time and have yet to experience any ill effects from it. I just dump several loads of each powder and shot to be recycled into the hoppers before starting up a run. Then again, I live in a dry climate, were it more humid emptying the hopper might be more of an issue.

There are a number of videos on youtube on the lee load all, including work arounds for emptying the hoppers.

Here is my basic vid on how the thing works.

Grizz,

Thanks for the video!!!

Started on one 20+ years ago, hated it.

Now I use a Lee Shotgun handloader for Black Powder, a Mec Jr for Smokeless...

I use one to load 12 black powder loads. I got to watching the total column height - the level the shot comes to - before the crimp stage and I can predict if I'm going to get a good crimp or not. I've used many brands of hulls but have best luck with Remington Gun Club hulls. I use Claybuster gray wad.

I bought a Lee Load All II about 3 years ago and have no regrets or complaints. Go through a box every week during the season and it is productive enough for my needs without busting the budget.

I reload Federal hulls with Claybuster Wads and get a good crimp resulting in a good looking shell.

I drop smokeless and real blackpowder without any issues.

It's really not a big deal to pop the handle off and empty the hoppers.

I had 2 that my uncle gave me after he had a stroke. One was new and the other one he had used. I have a MEC 9000, but just for the heck of it I wanted to try one out. They come with all of the powder and shot bushings that you can pick from for what you'll need. They also come with a brass resizer for the hull.

The slowest part for me was the one at a time by hand primer placing. I guess you can buy a primer feeder for it, but I don't know how those work. It worked quite well loading shells for me other than being a lot slower than what I'm use to. It turned out very nice shells (AA's) and once you get used to it probably could do 3 or so boxes an hour.

I ended up giving both to fellow CAS shooters that didn't have a SG reloader. What you might try for keeping the powder dry if you live in a humid area is put a bit of Saran Wrap over the top of the hopper and then put the cap back on. Just make sure if you do that, is that after you load your last shell for the day is to leave the slide in the drop shot position. That seals off the powder area.

I have used one for several years now, and I drop BP and smokeless with it. I did the following mod to mine to be able to easily empty shot and powder...

For the 4 to 5 boxes a month me and Dixie shoot, it works just fine.

BD

I started witha Load All (free from Pit Bull Tex on the wire!) it worked fine. I purchased the primer feeder from Lee for about 15 bucks. Its a little finicky. The press works fine, but my crimps were not great. Got a deal on a MEC Sizemaste and havn't looked back. They are a pain to remove the powder from, and mine leaked a little powder as well, but no big deal.

The Lee Load all is a good value if you don't make a lot of shells. You do get all the powder bushings and shot bushings with the press. This is a plus. You can adjust the crimp by placing a quarter in the bottom of that position. This press is not designed to last a lifetime.

For a slight increase in funds you get a significantly better press with the 600 jr from MEC. You do have to buy shot and powder bushings and they do have an adjustable charge bar available. It will make much better shells and production is about 100 rounds an hour.

Both should serve you well if it is only you that is shooting. With two shooters in the family I would start with the MEC and work up from there.

The Lee Load all is a good value if you don't make a lot of shells. You do get all the powder bushings and shot bushings with the press. This is a plus. You can adjust the crimp by placing a quarter in the bottom of that position. This press is not designed to last a lifetime.

For a slight increase in funds you get a significantly better press with the 600 jr from MEC. You do have to buy shot and powder bushings and they do have an adjustable charge bar available. It will make much better shells and production is about 100 rounds an hour.

Both should serve you well if it is only you that is shooting. With two shooters in the family I would start with the MEC and work up from there.

Right now it is just me shooting two matches a month with maybe an occasional practice session to try and speed up my SxS technique.

Thanks again to all who responded!

Used a Lee Load all for quite a few years and did good job. Moved to a MEC Grabber and been using it for quite a few

years. Now I just got a new grabber that's progressive and haven't hooked it up yet.

Will put it to use when I get back home around the end of this month.

But once again Marshall Flint you can't go wrong with the Lee Load All.

I used 2 Load-Alls, 1 for BP & 1 for smokeless. They make good shells but are SLOW. As much as I shoot, I was spending way too much time generating shotgun ammo, so I bought a used MEC Grabber - MUCH better machine overall, quality as well as quantity. The 3 stage crimp is excellent, vastly better than the Lee crimp.

One thing I did find was that the MEC does a better job sizing the base. I got one of the UniqueTek shell gauges & checked some of the shells done on the Lee. Nary a one would fit in the gauge. The vast majority of the shells done on the MEC drop in & fall out with ease. Now I use it as my last check before boxing up the shells, if it won't drop in/drop out with no effort, it goes into the cull bucket.

Holler

Archived