SASS Wire Forum

BP Powder Screw Up

Howdy,

You ever had one of those weeks, where everything you touch turns to you know up. Kat and I shot our new BP guns and they shot great. I never saw a women so happy, since Goodwill had 70% off. WE started in this game with 51' Navy Colts. We moved on because it takes so long to run and load them, and not get to help out on the Posse as much. Its not fair to the Posse members. I can't afford to buy 5 more sets apiece of extra cylinders either. . But it was fun. Now for the screw up. I came home and poured the flask back into the Bottles. We use only APP 3F and 2F. Soooo! I poured the 3F into the 2F bottle. Anyone ever do this? Now what? Toss it ? Don't be afraid to tell me in front of 10,000 to 20,000 of our close friends, that you screwed up Too..

Rev

It shouldn't be a big deal unless you're also loading match rounds for long range match loads with the big rifles. With the lighter loads we use in matches the shotguns won't notice and the rifles won't care, just recoil a tiny bit more. At the ranges we shoot we'd not notice the difference. I've loaded ffg and fffg in my frontier cartridge, mixed the partial boxes and not been able to tell. I probably could with a machine rest and a chronograph but not oe out of a thousand of us could tell shooting by hand, at speed.

Shake up the bottle good & get on with life ....... :P

No biggie, in fact Goex had some stuff awhile back called "Cowboy" and everyone thought that was just a mixture of 2f & 3f. I've done it with no problems.

Rye

Shake it up as others have said.

Be sure to mark the top of the can or face of the plastic bottle so you know what it is and can use it accordingly.

My can of mixed powder FFg/FFFg is marked "Floor Sweepings" on masking tape that is wrapped all the way around the middle of the bottle.

...WE started in this game with 51' Navy Colts. We moved on because it takes so long to run and load them, and not get to help out on the Posse as much. Its not fair to the Posse members. I can't afford to buy 5 more sets apiece of extra cylinders either. . But it was fun...

With a little practice and a good cylinder loading tool, you can be ready for the next stage in about 5 minutes, leaving plenty of time to put in your fair share of work on the posse. I use the Tower of Power (and I love it), but there are others costing less.

Goex had some stuff awhile back called "Cowboy" and everyone thought that was just a mixture of 2f & 3f.

Rye, essentially this is true. It is the sieve ratios mix that Goex used ... the best being the 2004 lot and then they got sloppy towards the point CTG was discontinued

Goex Cartridge – (0542) 07MY04B - May 2004

20 mesh – 98.46% retained

30 mesh – 01.54% retained

Through – Trace

Goex Cartridge – (05-37) 02OC07B October 2007

12 mesh – 0.62% retained

14 mesh – 0.03% retained

20 mesh – 97.54% retained

30 mesh – 01.70% retained

Through – 0.11%

Aree with the rest. For what you're using it for, no big deal.

Again, if you were loading BPCR for match or long range, then you would have concerns.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! If you use that concoction the earth will shake the sound of thunder will echo down the range and the air around you will turn to smoke.....Oh wait, never mind. :D

As others have said shake it up and enjoy.

Smoke

Shake up the bottle good & get on with life ....... :P

And no, I don't want to talk about the time I was emptying the bottles from my Mec 600 & dumped about 2 oz of shot back into the BP bottle ...........

Yep ya took a tea strainer and had it sorted out in almost NO time I bet .....

Jabez Cowboy

I wish I'da been smart enough to do that ---- but I still don't want to talk about it :D

Howdy,

``Thanks guys. I didn't think it was a major fret over. I load my C&B pistols and rifle cartridge with 3F and my shotshells with 2F. I will mix it up and just use it for all my guns till I get it used up.

And yes Justa B been there and have a T-Shirt for it for the shot in the powder scenario. John Henry, whats the Tower of Power????

Rev

I use it for SG loads as it may big to course for cartridge unless large rifle like the 45-90 an up. Definitely to course for a navy cylinder.

Howdy,

Thanks Blackey, I got to thinking about it and was thinking after my last post I would just use it for Shotgun Loads also. Thanks Justa B I looked it up. Kat hates the cheapo Depo loaders I have and now wants her a better one. As hard as it is to get the cylinders out of hers she thinking a pistol loading stand for her. Jabez "Get off the Lawn". I think people should start a post showing their loading set ups, stands ,loaders and other neet things they have come up with. I really hate having to open up my cap area of my cylinders on my 58's. I had a straight line capper I have had for 20yrs till last week when I modified it a little and it went into the cylinder just right. Then I put it up so I would not lose it and now I have forgot where I put it.

Now for a plug. Kat has finished the totally redone Tulsey Town Cattlemens Association website. " War Drums and Black Smoke in Tulsey Town" Oklahoma Black Powder Shootout Championships 8,9, and 10th of October is online. Check it out. 20 Frontier Cartridge Categories, 20 C&B Categories, the same for the Ladies, 15 Side Matches, Lunch provided everyday + banquet all included. We like to eat at Tulsey Town.

Rev

Archived