SASS Wire Forum

Derringers at unloading table

Bad Hand

Didn't want to hijack the "legal, not legal derringer" post. We still see the suspenders with derringer holsters built in, altho they aren't as popular as they once were. A couple of times while I was working the UT I've asked the wearer to show his derringer was empty, never had a refusal, but did get a few surprised looks. My question is, what/would there be a penality if the derringer was loaded? Remember there's always a live round under the hammer in a derringer.

SDQ for not adhering to LT & ULT procedures..... my 2 cents...

unless home range has other ideas

the derringer must be cleared at the unload table if carried thru the course of fire even if not used too shoot the string. if it is carried in the bay while not shooting it must be kept unloaded. most ranges are cold anyway

What Irish said.

I'm one that carries a derringer. Never know when a Pinkerton will sneak up on you.

Got tired of concerned cowpokes;

"If it falls out you'll get a SDQ!" Yep I know.

"You'll have to show its empty at the unloading table". Yep I know

So one winter I carved one out of wood. Got the idea from Frenchy Yukon. Next problem.

SDQ for not adhering to LT & ULT procedures..... my 2 cents...

unless home range has other ideas

After a SDQ there would not be anymore problems with not showing clear.

Nawlins

folks, the question was

what if the derringer was loaded???????????

not, do you show clear ;)

It should also be checked at the loading table also in my humbled opinion. NOT TO BE LOADED IF NOT CALLED FOR.

ok

but what is the penalty for such an infraction, I think was the question

First thing would be to ask if it was loaded at the LT? Did the LT see it being loaded. If not loaded at the LT than

ROI pg.25 A SDQ for

"Changing location with a live round under a cocked hammer or a gun with the hammer down on a live round. Loading at other than the designated loading position or firing line"

Us Derringers are always loaded and ready to go.... Right Pa...Slick...Chance...Doc...Shortcake....Diamond....Daisy.... Before too long we will have our own posse.... Bordertown is coming.... Battle of the Bell, Parte Dos....

• 4 weeks later...

If there is no derringer in the stage , if it is secured in the holster with a strap , I can MAYBE see it being checked at the 1st stage but not subsequent ones (mine is unloaded and just a prop. GOD gave us the 2nd amendment AND a brain. At least most of us.

If there is no derringer in the stage , if it is secured in the holster with a strap , I can MAYBE see it being checked at the 1st stage but not subsequent ones (mine is unloaded and just a prop. GOD gave us the 2nd amendment AND a brain. At least most of us.

There are rules for the game that must be followed...it's not your life...not your 2nd amendment rights at an organized shoot.

So if you bring a gun to the line, ya gotta show clear at the unloading table. It's not that much to ask and make logical sense to me.

Phantom

All ranges in Southern Nevada are COLD ranges.

A loaded derringer at the Unloading Table or anywhere unless you are directed by stage instructions to do load it. will earn you a Match Disqualification. Put your guns away and come back again another day.

The same goes for your concealed carry gun.

The derringer will be checked and cleared at the Unloading table each time you clear your other guns.

We have a lady here that carries a non functional Derringer. It does not need to be cleared each time.

And yes, I have checked to make sure it is non-functional.

All ranges in Southern Nevada are COLD ranges.

A loaded derringer at the Unloading Table will earn you a Match Disqualification.

The derringer will be checked and cleared at the Unloading table each time you clear your other guns.

The same goes for your concealed carry gun.

We have a lady here that carries a non functional Derringer. It does not need to be cleared each time.

And yes, I have checked to make sure it is non-functional.

Why would a loaded derringer be a MDQ at the unloading table? Just unload it.

i dont carry a derringer , if i did [and i may one day] it would be empty , unless required for the stage , and i would have no issue with showing clear at the unload table of any that are on my person as that is the reason for that table at a match ,

if you need to carry it hot do it off premises , outside our organized match - same as your daily carry piece , .......i do think a match DQ would only apply if it was found before the loading table or if refused to unload at the unload table , both would indicate an unsafe condition of that stage ,

Other concern would be HOW to show clear. Since , often, the barrel is hinged, it requires leaving the barrel pointed into the berm or downrange and moving the grip away from you.

Other concern would be HOW to show clear. Since , often, the barrel is hinged, it requires leaving the barrel pointed into the berm or downrange and moving the grip away from you.

Same as most S&W top-breaks.

;)

1st offense would be a SDQ. If hard headed and did it a 2nd time then the MDQ comes into play. Refer to ROI pages 24 and 25.

Barry Sloe

If I was asked to check it at the reloading table at every stage I would do it. but I would tell the guy it was stupid to do so. every time. if he's gonna waste my time he would have to listen to my complaints.

If I was asked to check it at the reloading table at every stage I would do it. but I would tell the guy it was stupid to do so. every time. if he's gonna waste my time he would have to listen to my complaints.

So...it is your opinion that clearing firearms at the reUNloading table is stupid?

Which other SAFETY protocols do you think we can dispense with as a "waste of time"??

<_<

What Irish said.

I'm one that carries a derringer. Never know when a Pinkerton will sneak up on you.

Got tired of concerned cowpokes;

"If it falls out you'll get a SDQ!" Yep I know.

"You'll have to show its empty at the unloading table". Yep I know

So one winter I carved one out of wood. Got the idea from Frenchy Yukon. Next problem.

LOL! Yup - you showed me that one time - too cool ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If ya meant unloading table - It's a safety thing - don't knock it pard ;) A firearm is a firearm....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

A few years back while I was working the unloading table there was a shooter who used the persona of a gambler. He carried a pocket pistol in the small of his back. When I asked him to show that it was empty he replied that it was empty and that he really could not reach it very well. I informed him that if he would not show it, he would get the penalty.

I have to unload my Derringer before I get out of the truck at the range. Kinda funny!

You carry it -you show empty. Had a shooter pull one out and show empty and I didn't even know he had it until he did. A good pard.

If you don't like it, don't take it to the firing line. The unloading table guy was just doing his job.

Same as most S&W top-breaks.

;)

Same as double barrel shotguns. Every ULT.

Got a derringer water gun I used to carry in those suspenders, don't know how many times I had to show clear, even though it was obviously plastic...

Tell us how many matches you have shot with that 'tude of yours about show'n that a weapon is 'clear'. :rolleyes:

LG

Archived