SASS Wire Forum

What's the call?

Chief Rick

Shooter loads pistols and rifle at loading table and places pistols in holsters.

As shooter is walking to starting position, the buckle on the pistol belt slips out of the belt and allows the pisol belt, with loaded pistols in holsters to fall to the ground.

What's the call?

read the last 6 words again.....

O K - but where is this stated in the Rules. All I have found is rule about dropped gun. In holster or out, the gun is still dropped. I have no issue with "No Call" in holster.

Agree.

RO1, Appendix A, Page 15, #2 does state: A holstered revolver (loaded or empty) with the hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended case is considered safe and may not be interpreted as sweeping another shooter while safely secured in the holster.

But immediately afterwards states: Failure to manage safe muzzle direction, even though no individual is swept, is grounds for Stage Disqualification, and for repeated offenses, Match Disqualification.

Then under Match Disqualifications on Page 25: Dropping a loaded firearm.

NO CALL... check buckle at ULT.

Next shooter.

The rule certainly covers wearing holsters that point rearward and sweep someone. But a dropped gun is different than sweeping. I have no problem with this being a "No Call" - just that it is not explicit in this rule. Just think "dropped guns" should be added to the rule to be clear. Or change the "dropped gun" rule to say "except when secured in holsters". Rules should be clear and unambiguous, as possible.

Not debating what the Call should be.

ROI Page 29

• Dropped firearm – a firearm that has left the shooter’s control and come to rest at a location or position other than where it was intended.

The loaded pistols are intended to be in the holster.

ROI P 15

A holstered revolver (loaded or empty) with the hammer fully down on an empty chamber or expended case is considered safe and may not be interpreted as sweeping another shooter while safely secured in the holster.

Neither rule states where the holster has to be...

amen!!!!!!!! whoops, am I allowed to say that?

this is a dead horse! it's been answered several times......the guns weren't dropped the holsters were!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not believe it was intended to be in the holster on the ground. It was intended to be in the holster which is secured to the shooter's body.

Lets just make the dropped gun rule clear not to include "in the holster".

I kind of thought along the same lines when we went through this the last time...

But you got to call 'em as they are and try to keep up with how they are interpreted.

This one is past smelling, just an old hide and some skin. Wonder how many more ways to say "No call" will be requested?

CR

what if....what if....what if (trying to get a little more life out of this dead horse ).....when the shooter is walking to the line from the loading table and his gunbelt and holsters falls down to this ankles and the shooter trips and he drops his rifle and shotgun on the way to the line??

what if....what if....what if (trying to get a little more life out of this dead horse ).....when the shooter is walking to the line from the loading table and his gunbelt and holsters falls down to this ankles and the shooter trips and he drops his rifle and shotgun on the way to the line??

MDQ.

I do not believe anyone has questioned the Call since Allie's Post #6.

The call is "No Call" !

The comments after Post #6 are that the Call does not seem to flow unambiguously from the written Rules and required interpretation.

The 'interpretation' has been stated previously as it applies to the OP situation.

REF: post #90

This BTW is why I don't wear Brag buckles on my gunbelt, it didn't fall off of my hips but I felt it loosening while shooting the rifle, last time I wore a buckle that only had a post instead of a regular buckle type like the Quakers wore... can I say Quakers?

This BTW is why I don't wear Brag buckles on my gunbelt, it didn't fall off of my hips but I felt it loosening while shooting the rifle, last time I wore a buckle that only had a post instead of a regular buckle type like the Quakers wore... can I say Quakers?

OH GREAT!!!!!

Now we're bring in the QUAKERS...What's next???????

:ph34r:

Perhaps a different topic that doesn't ask, "What's the Call" is in order(?).

I understand why this issue continues to be debated. These aren't stupid people arguing what the rules state or what PWB's Wire forum call is or challanging PWB's capacity to make such a call. I think everyone respects PWB's oracle status and understands what the call is here, with PWB even referring back to the earlier topic. So, I don't believe that the debate has anything to do with the call.

As I see it, the debate is this:

Given the scenario that: A gunbelt with loaded weapons, hammer down on a supposedly empty chamber, disengages and falls off the shooter's body and strikes the ground with the muzzels pointed haphazardly.

Then, the question is: Why are penalties not imposed in this scenario, while penalties are imposed in other scenarios, which are equally or even less dangerous than this scenario?

The debate has nothing to do with the rules, in my mind, because the rules have been cited and the call has been made ... several times. It simply seems to me (and apparently others) that there are gaps in the logic of the rules or the interpretation of those rules (which in this case are for safety), as they relate to this real or hypothetical scenario. That's what should be addressed and resolved, in my mind ---EDIT--- rather than being shouted down. As I stated, I think this should be debated in another topic that is not concerned with, What's the Call. We know what the call is.

Archived