SASS Wire Forum

The pain of moving

Two Spurs

Have you ever moved and had to box up stuff you don't want seen?....not wanting people to freak out over your reloading room...err.....uh.....de-cluttering they call it.

What a pain in the caboose... <_<

LOL, yeah, just think of the new neighbors watching the movers move in a big ol' gunsafe or two...

We are looking to move in a couple of years, and I've given it some thought as to how to move certain things...I have only one or two who would be trusted with certain things.

I think just as bad as the physical move is taking down all the stuff in my reloading room. Pictures, posse photos, badges, etc.

pack up the machines, the gun boxes/cases,... blah blah blah.

Never realized I had so much crap laying around! :lol:

My reloading area isn't too bad, as it's not been in one place very long.

Every room in the house however is a major pain. we've been here 20 years, raised our kids, and collected all sorts of junk we don't need, but that is hard to part with on at least some level. And looking to move into a much smaller house, we're gonna need to purge, and I'm not good at that.

Yeah...a couple of gun safes and gun cases...big deal.

Try getting a full sized Civil War cannon in without your new neighbors wondering what kind of maniac is moving in.

Fortunately, now the actual owner of the gun has found someone else with insufficient reluctance to take care of it and haul it around. The wife and I are taking a year, maybe more, off from reenacting to get other stuff settled down.

Guns and cases in the back of an SUV loaded and unloaded in a garage, no big deal. A gunsafe that requires the O line of the college football team to move, that might attract attention. Now a Canon, that would be interesting... flat bed trailer, covered, back into the garage, even so, would attract the attention of a nosy neighbor.

We're in the process of moving right now. Been at it for two weeks and probably six more to go. Trying to do it ourselves (with help from kids and grandkids and a rental truck or two) and it is an impossibly hard job. Haven't tackled the Cowboy House, yet, except for some furniture and the flat screen TV and DVD. Still have the reloading tables, sofa, gun safe, chairs and all the miscellaneous crap left to go. The new Cowboy Room will be much less than half the size of the old place, so I expect quite a bit of consolidation.

Good Luck!

Our house just got listed two days ago, and we're already wondering what we've gotten ourselves into. The plan is to only move the valuable/big stuff by pros; the rest will either be shipped ahead to my brother or sold/donated. The guns are going in the trunk of my car.

The really bad part is moving all the furniture that hasn't moved in years, and uncovering all the dust, dirt, coins, paperclips and stale M&Ms that have accumulated.

Last time we moved it was about 17 years ago...

About 4 years ago I discovered a couple of cans of powder that I'd forgot all about. :blush::lol: :lol:

Let the adventure begin. :blink:

When I retired 13 years ago, we moved to our current digs here in Colorado from our home of 30 years in California. I really wasn't excited about the moving of all of our "stuff". We had bought our property (bare land) 5 years before I retired. About a year before I actually retired, had all the utilities installed and a 35x50 garage/rv barn built. After It was done, I started hauling loads of my shop, gunroom, camping stuff and excess house stuff from Cal to Co.

Sure glad I started early, as we sold our house in a week and then we really had to get out quick with a 30 escrow. Stored everything we owned in the garage and lived in our RV on site while our new house was being built. Worked out pretty good, but not looking forward to ever doing it again.

Best thing that I ever did was to have an estate/ farm sale. 300 people came w/ trucks and $$. Didn't have to lift a thing except my pen. 23 years of farming, tools, tractors...everything except loaders, competiton guns, gear, memorbilia and artwork. All that crap is replaceable when you get where you're going.

In between I traveled for 18 mos...spent 2x's what I shudda...shot 38 matches, hunted, fished, put 58k miles on an F250 and 11k on a Road Glide.

You gonna wait til you have an oxy bottle and a walker? Believe me...your kids don't want ANY of your old stuff. They have plenty of their own!

A couple of times a year, I pick a room in the house and fill my pickup with stuff, at least once, to go to the county dump. Either that or the burn pit behind my shop. My wife's philosophy is that if we haven't seen/used something for at least a year, we probably don't need it and it can go. So I do this while she's not home, so she won't see it and think it needs to stay :D

That having been said, we decided a while ago that if we ever move, we're packing a change of underwear and a clean shirt, my laptop, gun safe and reloading stuff, and burning the house down around the rest of it. :D

It helps to think of it as a adventure.

LIke some of the others this past year we packed up to move and are still working on the unpacking part. The reloading room was both a adventure and profitable as I discovered stuff that had disappeared or forgotten about and other, what the heck, stuff. I sold a lot of the what the heck stuff.

One problem though. Even after selling a bunch of stuff and adding shelving I still can't find room for everything. How the heck I managed to store it all before remains a great mystery.

A couple of times a year, I pick a room in the house and fill my pickup with stuff, at least once, to go to the county dump. Either that or the burn pit behind my shop. My wife's philosophy is that if we haven't seen/used something for at least a year, we probably don't need it and it can go. So I do this while she's not home, so she won't see it and think it needs to stay :D

That having been said, we decided a while ago that if we ever move, we're packing a change of underwear and a clean shirt, my laptop, gun safe and reloading stuff, and burning the house down around the rest of it. :D

Save the nails.

In the early days of our country when folks moved they burned down the house and salvaged the nails and metal hinges so they could be used on building the next one.

Yeah!

My back hurts every morning when I move too......

Oh! Never mind........

Different moving.........

Have you ever moved and had to box up stuff you don't want seen?....not wanting people to freak out over your reloading room...err.....uh.....de-cluttering they call it.

What a pain in the caboose... <_<

Yep. All my artwork, art supplies, gun building supplies, fishing tackle and boat got "stored" for the time that it took to sell. Even my garage/shop was de-cluttered. So basically, it was a lot like living in a hotel, except we had to make the bed every morning. Nothing of me really existed in the place while we sold it.

Smartest thing I did though was to move my benches and tools into the shop part of the new garage the day before we moved. That set the shop up, and I knew where the tools were. And the miscellaneous boxes that got piled on the benches were easily unloaded.

Good lord, if we had to move now...my wife, bless her heart, won't throw away nothing! My standing joke with her is, if I outlive her, the first thing I'm gonna do after the funeral is rent one of those big roll-off dumpsters, park it in the driveway, and start heaving crap out the window. If the neighbors want any of it, they had better start dumpster-diving before it's hauled off.

Last year I cleaned out my mother in laws house after she died. She had tax returns from 50 years ago, she had every packing box for every package she'd received in the mail, etc. She kept all those return address labels that places send you as a freebie as they try to sell you something, there were several shoe boxes of those alone. Speaking of shoes, over a hundred pairs in boxes.

I'm going to try this idea...

Sit down with the wife and say, if a fire was coming our way and we had limited time to get out what was important, what would we take? After that list everything else is negotiable.

Roll off dumpsters are great, have filled several of them out of my house, could and probably should fill several more.

Part of our problem is that we have a bunch of my dad's stuff, and a bunch of the wife's mom's stuff, plus all of our stuff. Just way too much stuff.

I have maybe 6 or 8 boxes of old family photos that came out of my grandparents house. I took one of them to the oldest living relative in KS maybe 10 years ago, she didn't recognize anyone other than my grand parents in one or two of them. Awful hard to throw stuff like that away, but if all it does is sit in boxes, what's the point of keeping it for my kids to one day have to get rid of?

2 days after moved ( Son was in junior high) Son decided to shave his head then go introduce himself to the conservative neighbors.

Took years before the neighbors stop believing that we didn't belong to a wacko orginization

• 1 month later...

Well the sign is in the yard and the 'ol bunkhouse will go "active" on Monday. This has been something else.

All we gotta do now is to find a house (or barn :lol: ) to move into once we sell.

Let the adventure begin! :D

Last year I cleaned out my mother in laws house after she died. She had tax returns from 50 years ago, she had every packing box for every package she'd received in the mail, etc. She kept all those return address labels that places send you as a freebie as they try to sell you something, there were several shoe boxes of those alone. Speaking of shoes, over a hundred pairs in boxes.

I'm going to try this idea...

Sit down with the wife and say, if a fire was coming our way and we had limited time to get out what was important, what would we take? After that list everything else is negotiable.

Roll off dumpsters are great, have filled several of them out of my house, could and probably should fill several more.

For us that is simple. All our valuable papers are copied and saved in a bank vault, but we have the originals here in a single (4 inch thick) manila folder in the safe.

All our digital information is backed up monthly onto a Terabyte hard drive that is the size of a paperback novel.

My firearms are in the safe as well, and the most important ones can be grabbed in 2 minutes and put into a padded multi-handgun plastic range box.

Our wedding album is in a cabinet near the safe.

The upshot of this is that I can go to the safe room, open the safe and grab the digital data, the papers, the photo's and a few handguns and load them into my

canvas carpet bag in two minutes.

I have a bug out bag kept in the car for each of us, because we live in earthquake country and they recommend you be prepared for the one that takes down all the

bridges on the way home, meaning you may have a two day walk to get home! That bag has some supplies for a three day outing - albeit it will need add-ons,

but I'm not planning for the apocalypse. That takes different planning altogether . . .

After that we can use what ever time we have to grab a few sets of clothing, shoes, or what ever else we just have to have while bugging out.

We just recently went through all this - we have moved over to the UK for a two year stay (business reasons), and so we had to pack our house

and move some things into storage, some things into family members safes, and get rid of other stuff altogether. We are also faced with the dilemma of coming back,

and then unpacking, while facing the other choices - like do we want to stay there - or sell out and relocate due to work issues - or retire and relocate to

somewhere a lot more gun friendly and less taxed than Washington?

I do find that I need less and less stuff in my life, but I also do like what I like and wouldn't want to be without it.

I figure we have one more move to make in regards to housing, and after that the final move will either be into an assisted living place, or onto an ice flow to hang out

with the polar bears . . .

Shadow Catcher

My next move, I am definitely getting help.

Six guys to carry me and my pine box out of the house toes first! (Hehehehe!)

Wife asked how I was planning on moving.

I'm going to rent a huge dumpster and start throwing!

A strange look came over her face and she volunteered to move the "small" stuff" if I move the big items.

Worked for me.

Been at the new location 15 years, kids gone and both of their rooms stacked with "memories" and "preciouses items", basement full, mother-in-laws basement full, garage overflowing.

I shoud have rented the dumpster...

There is an "easy solution" . . . . When I moved a year ago springtime from Deseperate Hot Springs . . . to the Movie Ranch in Landers . . . .

. . . . I just hooked my "reloading room / man cave" to my truck . . . . . WENT . . . . :)

http://www.drburkholter.com/cf16.html

We're in that stage of moving where boxes are piled everywhere, and I'm fighting off the urge to just light a match. Supposedly a friend is coming from Montreal and one of our sons from California to help, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Meanwhile, we're selling most of our library, our dining room set and the family china; these last two items, I have no idea how or why we got stuck with them, and no one else in the family wants them. Heirlooms be damned, they're getting sold!

I told my wife, if we ever have enough money to get the heck out of this state. We are only taking my guns, my Harley, and our clothes. Everything else gets sold or goes in a dumpster.

Archived