SASS Wire Forum

What would you do?

Shooting Bull

Here's an interesting one. I shot a stage yesterday that was 6+ shotgun from position #1, move to position #2 and shoot 10 pistol then 10 rifle. Shot it pretty darn fast. Timer called out 17.xx with one miss. Now I've recently shot my first ever 17 second stage that was a similar set up; shotgun from position #1, move to position #2 for pistols and rifle, but that was with only two shotgun targets. I knew, even though I shot this one fast that something wasn't right. The ASSUMPTION was that the timer didn't pick up all the rifle shots so I was offered a re-shoot. Hmmmmm, 17 seconds raw time, 22 seconds after the miss. On a 10-10-6+ with movement, that's a GOOD time for a duelist. Nah, more shooting is always more fun so yes, I'd like a re-shoot. The next run was even faster than the first, shot it in 23.xx and clean. So there's the rub, the timer operator couldn't say for sure the timer didn't pick up all the shots and I knew I couldn't beat the first run even clean. Let's say this was a really big match, would you have taken the better score, even knowing it was probably wrong, or would you have taken the re-shoot?

Get a T/O who knows how to WATCH the timer pick up the last couple of shots.

FWIW - This type of scenario is why it is recommended that a stage NOT end with the rifle.

Id take the re-shoot. The assumption was the first shoot was wrong, which is why you were offered the re-shoot. Seems kinda wrong to say,naw, I'll keep the better time even though I think it was wrong. If you DIDN'T think it was wrong you shouldn't have taken the re-shoot.

Had I been the TO, iffn I was sure that all shots had not been picked up, reshoot, no option....

on second run I wud have made sure the timer was picking up all the rilfe shots....which is what I wud have been doing on the first run......

as the shooter, reshoot,,,, 17 for 6 shotgun with movement,,hmmmm yep dint git em all,,,sides I wud git to shoot it agin and see iffn it was rite...

but then tha's just me and I've already bin rong three times this yer....

CPBC

dand tham other boys wer fast,,,,iffn thay shot thit fas thay wud be nattional champs

Was there an option of switching timers before the reshoot? Just in case the timer was faulty.

The way I've seen this handled in the past with a reshoot is that if the shooter can get within 2 seconds of the original time and up to 2 misses, then it was a reasonable first run and should stand. Otherwise the reshoot will stand.

So it's an opportunity for the shooter to find out if it was right or not.

I'd have reshot the stage.

Hey Slim

Yeah - do the reshoot..............

And in all actuality..........the only shot you really have to pick up is the last one............

Of course this gets confusing when you do not have the shot record on the timer device..........meaning - the timer device shows you shot 26 shots or did it show 25 shots......???

We have no problem ending with a rifle ............. and it does take a good timer operator.........the ones who look at the timer occasionaly while going through the stage to make sure it is picking up the shots...........

Of course it is all relative to your TO's and equipment........

See ya soon.......Wolf

PS: Just so you know..........I just shot my first 15 second stage.......and it was 2 SG...but I cheated and did it Traditional......... ;):P

Philly, ya done good.

It doesn't matter what the T/O "thinks" - what the peanut gallery "thinks" or what score they might write on your score sheet.

You KNEW.

And when you know - you make it right.

If you win - you want to do it straight up. And if it is not straight up - then no matter what score is written down, it isn't really a win.

Character is what you do when no one else is watching

You, my friend, have character.

Character is what you do when no one else is watching

+1 . The real answer. When you suspect that the TO didn't get it right, you were probably right.

Good luck, GJ

If that was me I'd figure that the time quit working after the shotgun string, or maybe in the middle of it! :D

Take the reshoot. Preferably with a different TO or at least a reminder to the current one to watch the timer.

I would have done exactly as you did; correct the obvious error, and then post it on the Wire :)

Doing the right thing should be its own reward, but it doesn't hurt to give it a little help from time to time. :lol:

I've never had a reshoot, but if offered one I would expect it to be because something was wrong with the first run and therefore the second one would stand. I'm a little confused though, you said your first run was 17 + a miss for 22.XX and then you said your second one was even faster at 23.XX clean, how is that faster? Regardless I think you did the right thing by taking the second time.

I've never had a reshoot, but if offered one I would expect it to be because something was wrong with the first run and therefore the second one would stand. I'm a little confused though, you said your first run was 17 + a miss for 22.XX and then you said your second one was even faster at 23.XX clean, how is that faster? Regardless I think you did the right thing by taking the second time.

I did not attend this shoot - NASCAR was in town.

But I assume that Philly knows by the feel of the run, that his 2nd run was faster than his first.

And knowing that his faster run was 23 something tells him beyond any doubt that the 1st runs time was faulty.

But I assume that Philly knows by the feel of the run, that his 2nd run was faster than his first.

And knowing that his faster run was 23 something tells him beyond any doubt that the 1st runs time was faulty.

Ahh, that makes sense! Good example of the Cowboy way, don't take something when you're pretty sure you didn't earn it.

Bingo

Most timers let you back up and count the number of shots fired, if you could do that with the timer that would tell you the number of shots the timer picked up. Should have been 26 for the stage in question.

TB

Bingo

BINGO: you win, and U fully understand the cowboy way of honar, By not argueing the first go around, I have timed folks that refused to reshoot in such a case, (the discussion / arguement) can put a huge damper on the posses' fun level, for the rest of the shoot

good man philly-slimm

You did the right thing. You showed that your integrity is not worth according to what the score board says at the end of the day. My kind of man. Congrats. Had a good buddy have this happen to him at a very large state match last January.. He called foul the second the time was read. He reshot the stage only 2 seconds slower (but it was a better run). He ended up winning the match by the way.

At your age I think you should take what ever you can get. Your no spring chicken. :) Just kidding. The Cowboy way isn't just a saying . Its a life style and a dam good one. See ya soon Philly. (Ambush)

Archived