SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Bench/Area, how imaginative or "AR" are you?

Griff

After 21 years of not so good care & cheap materials, I just rebuilt mine. I've only got space and mediocre organization.

18 feet of metallic cartridge & casting:

DSCN0420_zps6f65c3a7.jpg

10 feet for shotshells (and if I remove woodworking tools another 10 feet of open bench):

DSCN0418_zps043b4918.jpg

Being in my barn, it's like an oven in the summer and a freezer in winter. It's far from the most imaginative, nor best organized, but it's 200?% better than just 2 weeks ago!

So, let's see where you craft those magic creations that always go where they're pointed! ^_^

My "reloading room" is pretty much my entire basement. One bench is about 16' long, another about 4' x 32", and another about 2' x 3 1/2', and I can't see any of them. A picture would be embarassing.

My "reloading room" is pretty much my entire basement. One bench is about 16' long, another about 4' x 32", and another about 2' x 3 1/2', and I can't see any of them. A picture would be embarassing.

Aw come'n... more embarassin' than this:

reloading1.jpg

After 21 years of not so good care & cheap materials, I just rebuilt mine. I've only got space and mediocre organization.

18 feet of metallic cartridge & casting:

10 feet for shotshells (and if I remove woodworking tools another 10 feet of open bench):

Being in my barn, it's like an oven in the summer and a freezer in winter. It's far from the most imaginative, nor best organized, but it's 200?% better than just 2 weeks ago!

So, let's see where you craft those magic creations that always go where they're pointed! ^_^

If I thought about this for awhile, I might come up with the answer, but why do you have the handles on your shotshell presses bungee'd down?

Got one tiny bench piled high and have to switch from rock chucker to lee load all back and forth. We are hoping to move in the new year or three so when that happens I'll get organized, HAH, or at least hopefully spread out a bit.

I don't have a picture of it, but my reloading room is literally 8' x 10' (it took 2 1/2 sheets of plywood to put in the floor) and a lot of that is taken up by shelves all the way across the back and a bench on each side. Not much floor space left. Two presses, a Dillon 550 and a RCBS Reloader Special on one bench and a MEC Jr. on the other...

If I thought about this for awhile, I might come up with the answer, but why do you have the handles on your shotshell presses bungee'd down?

Same reason all dies & toolheads are put away in drawers, muddaubers & wasps. If you look at the left one, you can see the red 12ga hulls to cover any openings. The 20ga is about to be pulled apart and rebuilt, waitin' on parts from MEC.

Do I win?

You have no idea how much you have made me feel good about myself and I still respect you. Kinda like watching Jerry Springer but with a real nice fella.

Fillmore

You have no idea how much you have made me feel good about myself and I still respect you. Kinda like watching Jerry Springer but with a real nice fella.

Fillmore

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

I wish that I had this kind of room to use. I am crammed into a corner in my basement.

My wife said, "Either you clean that basement up or I'm leaving"... ya know, come to think of it, I haven't seen her in a dozen years or so... hmmm...

GOM,

How do you switch back and forth between the Lee and the MEC? I've seen a pic where one fellow uses a removable plate that each machine is attached to. Looks handy, if a bit awkward with the wing nuts and such...

Surely some of you other reloaders have some unique solutions to your reloading challenges. Let's see some pics!

Texas John Ringo:

I am on my knees, bowing reverently in your direction.

I showed my wife your photos and she said, "Honey, you are a slacker!"

Well Griff ol' pard, since ya asked...

2013-02-16-LoadingRoom005.jpg

2013-02-16-LoadingRoom003.jpg

2013-02-16-LoadingRoom004.jpg

Oh, that punching bag is for when I screw up... :P

M.T. Chambers, Does that whole unit rotate so you have access to the two lubri-sizers? I also use two, one for BP and one for smokeless. Is that a steel 4x4 used as the stand? If it's necessary, I like the solution to a space issue. As my engineer buddy would say, "elegant."

Texas John Ringo: bowing2.gif. But I have to ask; how large a staff do you have? :lol:

Wild Bill, Very nice. Looks like you're falling behind on the 20 ga. I like the décor, and the punchin' bag... I could use one from time to time!

GOM,

How do you switch back and forth between the Lee and the MEC? I've seen a pic where one fellow uses a removable plate that each machine is attached to. Looks handy, if a bit awkward with the wing nuts and such...

Surely some of you other reloaders have some unique solutions to your reloading challenges. Let's see some pics!

The Lee stays in place. I clear off the bench to the left, the Mec is mounted to a board and a cookie sheet. I just clamp it to the bench.

M.T. Chambers, Does that whole unit rotate so you have access to the two lubri-sizers? I also use two, one for BP and one for smokeless. Is that a steel 4x4 used as the stand? If it's necessary, I like the solution to a space issue. As my engineer buddy would say, "elegant."

Hi Griff,

The stand is cast iron from an industrial grinder topped with a piece of 1/2" plate. It's not bolted down, I can move it around wherever I want. what wasn't finished at the time of the photo is the "operators" chair which anchors everything when the "operator" is in position. I'll try to clean-up some soon and get another pic with the latest refinements. ;)

Hi Griff,

The stand is cast iron from an industrial grinder topped with a piece of 1/2" plate. It's not bolted down, I can move it around wherever I want. what wasn't finished at the time of the photo is the "operators" chair which anchors everything when the "operator" is in position. I'll try to clean-up some soon and get another pic with the latest refinements. ;)

Great use of materials on hand. Look forward to the pics.

Archived