SASS Wire Forum

Hot weather and dressing cowboy

Marshal Dan Troop 70448

Stretching and pickle juice pard (vinegar if you can stomach it) back when I coached HS football and soccer they worked, much quicker than nanners (as my granmaw would say).

The "nanners" taste better and stay 'down'........... :lol:

LG

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again you all are criticizing shooters dress based on your own bias and perception of how a "Cowboy" should dress. And that bias is based on what Hollywood has convinced you was the way people dressed back in the day.

Cowboys were a small percentage of the population and they are identified with working cattle and ranches. What about everyone else. Yeah I know we call it "Cowboy Action Shooting", but that ship has sailed.

So we don't have to wear a hat but when we do we can also wear top hats, derby's, Tam's, engineer caps, straw, etc. Everyone doesn't have to wear a Gus replica.

Boots aren't required. And they definitely don't have to be the pointy cockroach killers or mule ears. Brogan's were worn more than boots. And what about moccasins! Or the shooters who go barefooted!

And I maned up and wore boots to a winter shoot. After 3 hours of standing on packed snow I did permanent damage to my toes. So logic says wear what is comfortable and will protect you from the weather. Hot or cold.

If we remember a few months ago someone got their knickers in a knot when a picture of Evil Roy wearing a baseball cap showed up in the Chronical. He was teaching his class. From the comments you would have thought he had spit on the flag.

And the other argument is everyone needs to come to the awards diner dressed cowboy appropriate. GPS on that. Some spouses and kids aren't into dressing period correct. Are they to stay away?

Dress rules appropriate and use common sense for health and weather conditions.

Ike

This made me smile- well said.

Just the other day, I visited the beach to enjoy people, ambiance and the "scenery". What happens, among all of the women clad in bikini's and guys in shorts, there is someone dressed head to toe in cowboy gear. How dare that person wear something like that to the beach. I was so offended that I asked the person "Why are you wearing something like that to the beach"? The reply was "Well I'm new here and really didn't know what to wear so I wore something comfortable". So I said "It's a beach, what the hell do you think you should wear"? He said "Sorry to offend you, don't worry....I won't be back". Never saw him back again.....good riddance.

CS

Once again you all are criticizing shooters dress based on your own bias and perception of how a "Cowboy" should dress. And that bias is based on what Hollywood has convinced you was the way people dressed back in the day.

Cowboys were a small percentage of the population and they are identified with working cattle and ranches. What about everyone else. Yeah I know we call it "Cowboy Action Shooting", but that ship has sailed.

So we don't have to wear a hat but when we do we can also wear top hats, derby's, Tam's, engineer caps, straw, etc. Everyone doesn't have to wear a Gus replica.

Boots aren't required. And they definitely don't have to be the pointy cockroach killers or mule ears. Brogan's were worn more than boots. And what about moccasins! Or the shooters who go barefooted!

And I maned up and wore boots to a winter shoot. After 3 hours of standing on packed snow I did permanent damage to my toes. So logic says wear what is comfortable and will protect you from the weather. Hot or cold.

If we remember a few months ago someone got their knickers in a knot when a picture of Evil Roy wearing a baseball cap showed up in the Chronical. He was teaching his class. From the comments you would have thought he had spit on the flag.

And the other argument is everyone needs to come to the awards diner dressed cowboy appropriate. GPS on that. Some spouses and kids aren't into dressing period correct. Are they to stay away?

Dress rules appropriate and use common sense for health and weather conditions.

Ike

Puzzled? What is your point?

A person doesn't have to dress as a cowboy with Gus hat. They can portray a Townie, Train Engineer, Indian,Salon person , Sailor, Sod Buster or any other class of person from the 1880's. Or dress with the minimum and portray nothing. Sad when you see a person dressed with: a beaded Indian war chest thingie, Indian feather head dress, train engineer bibs, athletic shoes with one spur and cowboy batwing chaps (all at the same time) and when asked what he is, he says CC or BW. But it is legal (joking). My point is, using different pieces of clothing from completely different characters of the 1880's all at the same time. Nothing says you cann't. Perhaps not sad but something. I know, entertaining. At least they dressed up.... but has been well stated, you don't have to dress up, there is a minimum by the rules, and that is fine, and it seems that (minimum) is even being challenged as too much.

I would've gone back to truck and went home before standing on packed snow and wind blowing 30 knots in both directions, for three hours wearing moccasins,thin nylon short sleeve shirt with logo, nylon ski jacket or thin leather slick soled boots, and damaged my feet. I would've gone home even if I was dressed to the hilt with period correct wool cloths. I would've packed it up before standing out in extreme temps without hat, if I had a severe medical conditon that heat would aggriavate. No one wants to perform CPR on someone that fell out of their shaded electric golf cart while manning the LT ,that hit their head on the corner, while waiting their turn to shoot and were unable to assist with other posse duties. I've decided in the past, not to attend some matches cause I don't want to loose my rifle brass in the snow, or chance it by driving 100 miles in winter (snowing, icy roads) conditons. I have shot in rubberized insulated Pac boots. There was about six of us and it was snowing pretty darn good. Looking back, I wish the MD would have pointed out my boots were illegal. I would've said, yer right and gladly packed it up before getting my firearms wet and yucky from the melting snow and or rain and needed to be completely disassemble and cleaned once getting back home. :mellow:

Never saw so many people shoot in the extreme heat and cold as here on the Wire. Around my parts, when the heat index gets hot hot, the attendance numbers falls way off like a rock, barely for a thin posse, and not because of any rule. People just don't go. Same with extreme winter (and not all that extreme either) cold/snow. The attendance numbers falls to a handful. Not even enough for an argument. I guess around my parts, the people know when to hold it and when to fold it as far as attending monthlies. Under the extreme weather conditions, with few attending, it becomes a practice match and not a SASS match. That is another way of looking at it. Yes, clothing is relaxed under the extremes.

Glad there are so many dedicated shooters that have major medical conditions out there that brave the extreme climate conditons to shoot.

Edit: II, I've reread and reread your post. I think I understand your point now.

You don't happen to be a politician also? Match with 2 shooters, 1 wearing a basebal cap would make that 50% of the shooters. Percentage is used by polls, yet do not show all, just a part, which can be used to make an individual point. For me, seeing over the last month in travel, 8 shooters, with baseball caps, tennis shoes, and T-shirts. Oh, temperature started out in the 60s, and ended in the low 80s. You be the judge. MT

Back to this........I really don't think anyone would say that the low 80's would be EXTREMELY HOT.........MT is pointing out that there are some clubs that appear to be moving away from following the dress code. I'm not a full tilt dresser all the time. According to Tex's latest article I should probably be horse whipped during the summer months because I forgo my chaps and stuff and mostly wear my brown wranglers with a long sleeve shirt and straw hat. My point is that even I the sometimes minimalist would have a problem with what he has witnessed.

I don't see it as an issue in our little slice of heaven beyond the summer months when a couple of clubs offer the relaxed dress code option........I HOPE that the area match directors would not allow this to happen here......I HOPE the match directors in the areas where MT witnessed it will realize that relaxing the dress code ALL the time does have an impact on the experience and for me would certainly make it less COWBOY.

Stan

Back to this........I really don't think anyone would say that the low 80's would be EXTREMELY HOT.........MT is pointing out that there are some clubs that appear to be moving away from following the dress code. I'm not a full tilt dresser all the time. According to Tex's latest article I should probably be horse whipped during the summer months because I forgo my chaps and stuff and mostly wear my brown wranglers with a long sleeve shirt and straw hat. My point is that even I the sometimes minimalist would have a problem with what he has witnessed.

I don't see it as an issue in our little slice of heaven beyond the summer months when a couple of clubs offer the relaxed dress code option........I HOPE that the area match directors would not allow this to happen here......I HOPE the match directors in the areas where MT witnessed it will realize that relaxing the dress code ALL the time does have an impact on the experience and for me would certainly make it less COWBOY.

Stan

+1

Making the heat a little more tolerable is fine, throwing out the dress component would not be as fun, at least not for me.

Cowboys,

I live and shoot in south Florida. HOT & HUMID 7-8 months out of the year.

It would be nice to think Full Cowboy dress, all the time. Being part of a club staff that would manage two regular monthly matches, year after year, I can tell you for a fact, that down here in our neck of the woods, if you do not relax the dress code in the 4-5 really hot months, your attendance numbers are cut by UP TO 80%. 6 shooters instead of 30, 10 instead of 50. Also, shooters leaving early because they simply cannot deal with the heat and feel safe, is a regular occurence. If you insist the older shooters wear full regalia every time, they simply stop shooting throughout the summer. Bottom line, IMHO, is that that facts show, at least down here, the refusal to relax the dress code when justified, is just plain bad for our sport.

Kid Celero

Well A month and 3 days ago I got back from Uganda East Africa ,,, On the Equater .....

Well this Cowboy from the North Country wore Long Sleeved Cotton Shirts and a straw hat and Even "Gaspe" jeans in relative comfort .....

Yes I also wore shorts and short sleeved shirts some of the time ,,,,,,,,,but did Not feel a great difference in my comfort level either way other than the long pants ans Sleeved shirts removed the sun-burn worry from my mind ...

But I don't wear my Wool Vest or Oiled Duster when it's "HOT" ....................... But Cowboy Clothing can serve well in the heat ....

Jabez Cowboy

Cowboys,

I live and shoot in south Florida. HOT & HUMID 7-8 months out of the year.

It would be nice to think Full Cowboy dress, all the time. Being part of a club staff that would manage two regular monthly matches, year after year, I can tell you for a fact, that down here in our neck of the woods, if you do not relax the dress code in the 4-5 really hot months, your attendance numbers are cut by UP TO 80%. 6 shooters instead of 30, 10 instead of 50. Also, shooters leaving early because they simply cannot deal with the heat and feel safe, is a regular occurence. If you insist the older shooters wear full regalia every time, they simply stop shooting throughout the summer. Bottom line, IMHO, is that that facts show, at least down here, the refusal to relax the dress code when justified, is just plain bad for our sport.

Kid Celero

PLUS 1 !!

Not Florida, but South Texas is just about as bad. If the dress code wasn't relaxed during the worst 3 or 4 months of the year, Attendance would certainly suffer. Us Old folks simply cannot, (and will not), subject ourselves to the health injuring heat, and that say's nothing about the discomfort associated with it.

Thank God the Range Officers and Managers down here realize this, and allow the relaxing of the dress codes during these periods of extreme heat. Better to relax the dress code and keep attendance at a near normal level, than to hard nose it, and wind up shooting by themseves.

RBK

Our club relaxes the dress standards in July and August when the temps hit 100 with 70% or higher humidity.

We post this well in advance, and require a cowboy hat to be worn.

I observed that around 50% still wore their full gear; the other 50% were in various states of cowboy dress.

Both were good shoots, and people we able to regulate their temperatures and enjoy themselves.

Come this past weekend, we were all back in full dress, shooting in a cool drizzling rain.

At the State Match, over Labor Day weekend, the temps were in the 90s but everyone wore their full gear and garb per the rules.

As a newer shooter, I see this as a common sense move to keep people safe.

There is no reason for any SASS club to allow folks to shoot in ball caps, T shirts, and shorts, IMHO. If it is so hot that you can't function in cowboy clothing, then you need to stay home, crank up the air and have a cool one! :lol:

I live in a pretty warm part of the country, and I often shoot BW. When It's really cooking, I choose light colored clothing over the ubiquitous Hopalong look. I also drink plenty of water. :)

Giddyup, Chappo!

I'll just have to pull out the loin cloth and war paint to stay cool in the summer months. :o

Don't forget the zinc-oxide... pale-legs!:ph34r::lol:

BTW, when I'm next in Texas I fully expect you to not only shoot with me but buy me a drink afterward! :lol:

Of course!

;)

Phantom....you better make CBB's drink a double milk. He's a teacher and from Alabama...he's never seen anything stronger than apple cider :)

:lol: :lol:

OK Pard, we're bunking together for the Bama match so it's on. I'll bring my favorite (Bourbon, a cowboy drink) and you bring you favorite, what, one of those boat drinks with a little umbrella? We'll take turns and see who passes out first, wakes up hungover and can't shoot worth a pi$$ on Saturday.

I'll just have to pull out the loin cloth and war paint to stay cool in the summer months. :o

Thanks alot for the visual.........now I have to go watch hogs get slaughtered to get that out of my head. :huh:

Howdy Folks,

IMHO hats, felt or straw, are better than ball caps, cause they protect your ears from sun burns and keep the snow off of'em as well.

If it's real hot I remove the vest, if it's cold I add the Union suit and the oil skin duster. My boots are shooters boots square toe and can handle a fairly cold day. Up here in Canada we rarely get hotter than 95 in the summer and we're off December to April.

Old time cowboys dressed for the weather, makes sense.

Frenchy

In this litigation society we live in, can't you just imagine what would happen if the Wild Bunch forced clubs to stop alternative dress due to hot weather and the next shoot someone died of sun stroke?

It would go right down the whole line, Kid -- SASS, parent club, cowboy club, match director, posse marshal. Folks can sue for anything. It doesn't mean they will win, but it does mean you are going to be out of a good chunk of change to defend yourself. It also means a shooter was hurt. I don't have all of the answers; I can only state what I would do to try and prevent the preventable. Some folks disagree. That's okay, it is not a perfect world. :)

It would go right down the whole line, Kid -- SASS, parent club, cowboy club, match director, posse marshal. Folks can sue for anything. It doesn't mean they will win, but it does mean you are going to be out of a good chunk of change to defend yourself. It also means a shooter was hurt. I don't have all of the answers; I can only state what I would do to try and prevent the preventable. Some folks disagree. That's okay, it is not a perfect world. :)

There are things club officers can do to minimize personal liability and leave it at the club or range level, at least in some states. Has to do with how the club is legally organized and how club legally relates to overall range ownership.

If a cowboy club in the central valley (California) wants to have a match,not requiring the usual garb, when the temperature is going to be 110+ degrees, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. SASS wouldn't be the same with people wearing ball caps, shorts, etc. all the time, but once a year in the most extreme condtions, I don't see a problem. Winter conditions, in other parts of the country and hot and humid in other areas, same thing. Some clubs have halloween matches. Smokin Gator

If a cowboy club in the central valley (California) wants to have a match,not requiring the usual garb, when the temperature is going to be 110+ degrees, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. SASS wouldn't be the same with people wearing ball caps, shorts, etc. all the time, but once a year in the most extreme condtions, I don't see a problem. Winter conditions, in other parts of the country and hot and humid in other areas, same thing. Some clubs have halloween matches. Smokin Gator

Careful, Gator, you are using logic... :o

There is no reason for any SASS club to allow folks to shoot in ball caps, T shirts, and shorts, IMHO. If it is so hot that you can't function in cowboy clothing, then you need to stay home, crank up the air and have a cool one! :lol:

I live in a pretty warm part of the country, and I often shoot BW. When It's really cooking, I choose light colored clothing over the ubiquitous Hopalong look. I also drink plenty of water. :)

Giddyup, Chappo!

I agree. There's no reason why shooters can't wear at least minimal dress, a light cotton shirt and pants, palm leaf hat optional, you can always roll up the sleeves. If someone is gonna get heat stroke in this outfit, they're gonna get heat stroke in shorts and and a short sleeve shirt with a ball cap also. Some times it's just too hot ;) We try to provide plenty of water, shade, and a couple of fans on each stage. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

OK Pard, we're bunking together for the Bama match so it's on. I'll bring my favorite (Bourbon, a cowboy drink) and you bring you favorite, what, one of those boat drinks with a little umbrella? We'll take turns and see who passes out first, wakes up hungover and can't shoot worth a pi$$ on Saturday.

Well.........I didn't know either one of y'all could shoot on any day :lol::lol::lol::lol:

BW

Seems that more and more excuses are coming up lately to dress less and less as Cowboy. Many times CAS, is broken down to cowboy-action-shooting. The "Shooting" part we all understand and want. There are some that argue not enough "Action", but it seems that the "Cowboy" part is questionable to more and more members. Hats are to hot, boots, are to heavy or hot, long sleeve shirts are hot, etc. excuses. Tell that to the troops wearing helmets, heavy armor, etc. in hot, humid regions, etc. They wear the uniform without excuses, nor complaints. Same for many jobs, were hard hats, long sleeve fire-retardant clothing is worn, along with heavy safety boots. And many of the workers at these jobs are in their late 50s, 60s, and several in their 70s, never complaining because its what the employer says. But when it comes to CAS, it seems that I'm seeing, yes, tennis shoes, T-shirts, and several times baseball type caps.

I'm not going to call up the web-site as I did last year, but long sleeve shirts and long pants, along with a hat with a brim, do more for protection against the sun and heat then the other items. That's why people that go in the desert wear the protective clothing, and its recommended. There have been several reality shows on cable, were a host shows the proper clothing to wear, and short sleeve shirts, and shorts are not one of them.

Seems that dressing as cowboys, is not the thing to do today in our game. MT

MARSHALL, good post! I always wear a vest, boots and hat and a cowboy pants and shirt. Sometimes when it's really hot I'll wear jeans and a cowboy shirt roll up the sleeves and forego the vest. I always wear a cowboy hat no matter what the temp and it gets well into the 90's 'round here with very high humidity!!! Just my view from this saddle! :) Rye

Archived