SASS Wire Forum

Hot weather and dressing cowboy

Marshal Dan Troop 70448

Seems that more and more excuses are coming up lately to dress less and less as Cowboy. Many times CAS, is broken down to cowboy-action-shooting. The "Shooting" part we all understand and want. There are some that argue not enough "Action", but it seems that the "Cowboy" part is questionable to more and more members. Hats are to hot, boots, are to heavy or hot, long sleeve shirts are hot, etc. excuses. Tell that to the troops wearing helmets, heavy armor, etc. in hot, humid regions, etc. They wear the uniform without excuses, nor complaints. Same for many jobs, were hard hats, long sleeve fire-retardant clothing is worn, along with heavy safety boots. And many of the workers at these jobs are in their late 50s, 60s, and several in their 70s, never complaining because its what the employer says. But when it comes to CAS, it seems that I'm seeing, yes, tennis shoes, T-shirts, and several times baseball type caps.

I'm not going to call up the web-site as I did last year, but long sleeve shirts and long pants, along with a hat with a brim, do more for protection against the sun and heat then the other items. That's why people that go in the desert wear the protective clothing, and its recommended. There have been several reality shows on cable, were a host shows the proper clothing to wear, and short sleeve shirts, and shorts are not one of them.

Seems that dressing as cowboys, is not the thing to do today in our game. MT

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rememeber that this is a game not a business nor a profession for the shooters.

It is a form of entertainment. Entertainment is not an activity where folks want to be uncomfortable unnecessarily.

Some of us wear clothing that is more or less period correct.

Some just want to shoot so anything that is legal goes.

Seems that more and more excuses are coming up lately to dress less and less as Cowboy. Many times CAS, is broken down to cowboy-action-shooting. The "Shooting" part we all understand and want. There are some that argue not enough "Action", but it seems that the "Cowboy" part is questionable to more and more members. Hats are to hot, boots, are to heavy or hot, long sleeve shirts are hot, etc. excuses. Tell that to the troops wearing helmets, heavy armor, etc. in hot, humid regions, etc. They wear the uniform without excuses, nor complaints. Same for many jobs, were hard hats, long sleeve fire-retardant clothing is worn, along with heavy safety boots. And many of the workers at these jobs are in their late 50s, 60s, and several in their 70s, never complaining because its what the employer says. But when it comes to CAS, it seems that I'm seeing, yes, tennis shoes, T-shirts, and several times baseball type caps.

I'm not going to call up the web-site as I did last year, but long sleeve shirts and long pants, along with a hat with a brim, do more for protection against the sun and heat then the other items. That's why people that go in the desert wear the protective clothing, and its recommended. There have been several reality shows on cable, were a host shows the proper clothing to wear, and short sleeve shirts, and shorts are not one of them.

So what percentage of shoots are you seeing this? What percentage of shooters at these matches are wearing short sleeve shirts, shorts, tennis shoes, baseball caps? Many clubs that shoot in the summer that shoot in temps approaching 115 degrees don't say what shooters have to wear, but instead leave it to the shooter to decide for themselves. Comparing SASS shooters to combat troops is a bit over the top IMHO. Clubs that shoot in the winter when it is snowing, is below freezing likewise tell shooters that a relaxed attire policy is in effect. If these things really bother you, then talk to those in charge of those matches that allow some flexibility on attire in adverse weather conditions. If what folks wear in these conditions bother you, then stay home. The only time I see anyone not wearing their best attire shooting is in adverse weather conditions.

So what percentage of shoots are you seeing this?

You don't happen to be a politician also? Match with 2 shooters, 1 wearing a basebal cap would make that 50% of the shooters. Percentage is used by polls, yet do not show all, just a part, which can be used to make an individual point. For me, seeing over the last month in travel, 8 shooters, with baseball caps, tennis shoes, and T-shirts. Oh, temperature started out in the 60s, and ended in the low 80s. You be the judge. MT

You don't happen to be a politician also? Match with 2 shooters, 1 wearing a basebal cap would make that 50% of the shooters. Percentage is used by polls, yet do not show all, just a part, which can be used to make an individual point. For me, seeing over the last month in travel, 8 shooters, with baseball caps, tennis shoes, and T-shirts. Oh, temperature started out in the 60s, and ended in the low 80s. You be the judge. MT

If there were no adverse weather conditions, then those individual shooters should have been admonished by those running the shoots. What we are talking about is adverse weather, 60s to 80s doesn't fit that description. What is nice about this sport is that if a club continues to allow folks to shoot in attire like you describe and there is no adverse weather, then you can do what most of us do and vote with our feet. If this is your local club, then act, you are the TG.

Marshal Troop I haven't seen very many shooters who didn't at least wear long sleeved shirts and jeans along with boots and hats. Every once in a while there is a new shooter who dresses "casually". There are also some clubs in my area (Central Florida) that allow short sleeved shirts and sometimes shorts in the summer, but those are not a common now as they once were.

I've also talked to people who wanted to "try" CAS but were turned off by a continual barrage from people telling them they couldn't shoot without the full uniform (which is true but they didn't want to be continually reminded.) It's my opinion that there should be a certain amount of latitude given to new shooters, at least for a while until they can see whether they want to spend the money for the proper gear.

Since we shoot at many of the same clubs, I was wondering in which areas you noticed the problem?

If there were no adverse weather conditions, then those individual shooters should have been admonished by those running the shoots. What we are talking about is adverse weather, 60s to 80s doesn't fit that description. What is nice about this sport is that if a club continues to allow folks to shoot in attire like you describe and there is no adverse weather, then you can do what most of us do and vote with our feet. If this is your local club, then act, you are the TG.

I asked, they said it would get hot. This happened at 3 clubs, none were in Georgia, were my home club is, nor Florida.

The main concern, or posting is that its going on in no adverse weather conditions. I'm seeing it more, and some clubs are allowing it for whatever reasoning, maybe to keep shooters. Thanks for the reply, and also concern when these things are happening and weather is not the factor. MT

I asked, they said it would get hot. This happened at 3 clubs, none were in Georgia, were my home club is, nor Florida.

The main concern, or posting is that its going on in no adverse weather conditions. I'm seeing it more, and some clubs are allowing it for whatever reasoning, maybe to keep shooters. Thanks for the reply, and also concern when these things are happening and weather is not the factor. MT

If weather is not an issue, then shooters should meet the minimum SASS dress (which is actually pretty minimal). Except for CC and BW, there are no specific requirements, only a couple prohibited items. Example, there is no rule requirement for a hat or boots even tho some continue to insist there are. Certainly the vast majority of shooters wear a hat and some form of boots but I have seen shooters chastised by other shooters/match officials for not wearing a hat stating firmly a hat is required by the rules. Must be a local rule or something.

I've shot in winter and summer in Arizona and Nebraska. everything from snow falling to 100+ heat (both dry and wet heat). I have not seen anyone not dress the part. In the winter the shooters put on more layers and pull out those cool looking long dusters that we don't get to where to often. There might be some modern gloves off the firing line. In the summer the felt hats give way to palm leaf and straw. the coats and vests come off, and some folks may change into more modern clothes right after the shooting to put away targets and the drive home. If a new shooter wants to try and doesn't dress the part, that is fine by me at a local shoot. Let em shoot explain what the minimum usually is and tell em how much fun that part of the game can be. But let em shoot. But experienced cowboys have no excuse.

MT,

I can't speak for any other parts of the country/world/universe, but around here it isn't an issue. In the 8 years I've been shooting, I've only been to one match at one club that at one time had relaxed dress requirements and they did announce it ahead of time.

For what it's worth. I've never found long sleeves to be cooler than short sleeves. More pretective, yes. Cooler, no.

I dunno, I've seen a whole lot of gum flapping here on the wire, but have not seen that it is a problem at matches. YMMV

I think you need to get out a little more (yes I know you get out some) and you would see what some of these guys are talking about.

Right here in my local area we have the same problem. Everything from shooting in beach wear, to guys shooting C.C. or B-Western in shoes.

You can bring it up to the club boards all you want , but they really just don't care. Oh they have every excuse in the book for why they allow it, but that's all it is....just excuse's!!

In my travels around the country, I've only seen random, isolated instances of true, non-conforming attire. We all need to remember, that boots and hats are not a requirement, (except for CC & for B-W, just boots). As a visitor, unless asked, I'll keep my thoughs to myself. And remember that "hot" is defined differently than where we may be acclimatized. 102ºF w/99% humidity in FL feels a LOT hotter to me than 110ºF and 85% humidity in TX.

And even those that live is such areas, their daily schedule of leaving their air-conditioned house for their air-conditioned car, thence into an air-conditioned office and the reverse on a daily basis, a full day spent in 1880s garb could be torture. And, the older I get, the less ctitical I seem to get. When I have to quit halfway thru a 6-stage monthly match due to heat exhaustion, I can empathize.

Then again, I don't own any tennis shoes or shorts, except for swimmin'! :ph34r: :ph34r: And while I got a whole passel of hawaiian shirts, none are long-sleeved or suitable for CAS.

The veiw from my front porch is that we're all a bunch of wooses. We've (me included) are accustomed to central heat and A/C in our homes and businesses, & vehicles and some of us are spoiled rotten. Think about the real working cowboys, trainmen, bankers, lawmen, preachers, schoolmarms (profession makes no difference) who lived their daily lives in the freezing cold & blazing heat without fans or A/C. Heat was provided by fireplaces or pot belly stoves. Their houses were not insulated either. The house my grandparents lived in had no central heat. They put in a gas furnace about 1950 & a window A/C unit in 1957.

There were no short sleeve shirts until the 1920s. Men wore clothes made of cotton in the summer and wool in the winter. In much of the west those who spent a lot of time outside wore coats of buffalo or bear skins, if they could get them. If they were lucky enough to afford one, they travelled by sleigh in the winter covered by buffalo robes with heated rocks or footwarmers filled with hot coals at their feet to keep them warm. Many pulled the wheels from their farm wagons and replaced them with runners in the winter. The Amish still do this today.

People used to do this 24 hrs 365 days a year all their lives and we can't dress in long sleeves & britches for a few hours a few times a month. Shame on us!!

And remember that "hot" is defined differently than where we may be acclimatized. 102ºF w/99% humidity in FL feels a LOT hotter to me than 110ºF and 85% humidity in TX.

And even those that live is such areas, their daily schedule of leaving their air-conditioned house for their air-conditioned car, thence into an air-conditioned office and the reverse on a daily basis, a full day spent in 1880s garb could be torture. And, the older I get, the less ctitical I seem to get. When I have to quit halfway thru a 6-stage monthly match due to heat exhaustion, I can empathize.

+1

Florida is nasty hot in the summer months.

I don't see a lot of abuse of the dress code policy, but I know people who choose not to shoot in the summer and I can understand. During the summer months, I usually feel sick on Sunday afternoons after setting up the match on Saturday and shooting and cleaning up on Sunday. There is a difference between being uncomfortably hot, and getting physically sick due to the heat. While I don't want to see folks abandon cowboy attire, I wouldn't have a problem with a more lax dress code in the hottest months either.

We have a hard time getting a lot of people to show up in the summer months due to the heat. In August, we tried to beat the heat by having a "Magnum PI" themed match. I can honestly say that shooting in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt was much more comfortable than shooting in cowboy attire. Long sleeved shirts and pants do protect the skin from the sun, but so does sunblock and sunblock doesn't trap heat against the body.

I'm not even sure what point I'm arguing here as I agree with the OP. :lol:

Seems there is more being added to this post, then I originally wrote, and being added to. I know they hats, and boots are not required except in "B" and "CC".

I wrote there were shooters wearing baseball caps, tennis shoes, and T-shirts,and shorts none of which are sanctioned for CAS. They also were not "themed" matches, in which maybe they could have been worn.

I just addedthere are excuses for not wearing hats, boots, long sleeves shirts, which leads into why are tennis shoes, caps, and T-shirts worn? That was the main post about.

In other words, I should have added, what are the excuses for allowing these and diminishing the "C" in CAS.

Again, let me clarify again, or re-read my first post on what was mentioned, and what was not. MT

My question is this:

WHY IS THIS EVEN BEING DEBATED?

SASS rules ouline a dress code and clubs may make their own rules, up to a point, right?

So, if you are going to show up in short sleeves, a baseball cap and Nike's when it's hot and a ski jacket when it's cold, why not just bring out your glocks, your AR-15 and your semi-auto shotgun while you're at it?

Or else, go play golf, instead.

Eroding the intent of the sport, destroys the attraction for those other shooters around you who make the effort and the investment to follow the spirit and intent of the sport, not to mention the rules. These good folks are simply too polite to tell "baseball cap guy" to go home.

And, those club officials who think these deviations are acceptable and allow these people, who are not properly suited out, to compete? You probably should step down.

In my travels around the country, I've only seen random, isolated instances of true, non-conforming attire. We all need to remember, that boots and hats are not a requirement, (except for CC & for B-W, just boots). As a visitor, unless asked, I'll keep my thoughs to myself. And remember that "hot" is defined differently than where we may be acclimatized. 102ºF w/99% humidity in FL feels a LOT hotter to me than 110ºF and 85% humidity in TX.

Then again, I don't own any tennis shoes or shorts, except for swimmin'! :ph34r: :ph34r: And while I got a whole passel of hawaiian shirts, none are long-sleeved or suitable for CAS.

Here here, Griff!

Just the other day, I visited the beach to enjoy people, ambiance and the "scenery". What happens, among all of the women clad in bikini's and guys in shorts, there is someone dressed head to toe in cowboy gear. How dare that person wear something like that to the beach. I was so offended that I asked the person "Why are you wearing something like that to the beach"? The reply was "Well I'm new here and really didn't know what to wear so I wore something comfortable". So I said "It's a beach, what the hell do you think you should wear"? He said "Sorry to offend you, don't worry....I won't be back". Never saw him back again.....good riddance.

CS

Just the other day, I visited the beach to enjoy people, ambiance and the "scenery". What happens, among all of the women clad in bikini's and guys in shorts, there is someone dressed head to toe in cowboy gear. How dare that person wear something like that to the beach. I was so offended that I asked the person "Why are you wearing something like that to the beach"? The reply was "Well I'm new here and really didn't know what to wear so I wore something comfortable". So I said "It's a beach, what the hell do you think you should wear"? He said "Sorry to offend you, don't worry....I won't be back". Never saw him back again.....good riddance.

CS

And where do you find "The Rules" for beach wear?? :wacko:

MT

That's the part that I was addressing!

I should have clarified, which I did in previous post. We post about excuses for why shooters don't wear them,hats, boots, long sleeve shirts, etc. (but hats and boots are only required for "B" and "CC", and long sleeves can be rolled up). Yet I would like to know excuses for allowing tennis shoes, shorts, T-shirts, and baseball caps. That was my intent, thought it would be seen, but guess I needed to clarify. But thanks for printing this so I could clarify my post better. MT

MT,

I can't speak for any other parts of the country/world/universe, but around here it isn't an issue.

I agree. I've had the pleasure to shoot in seven different states so far and I just don't see it. Everywhere I've been folks still make an honest effort to play the game by the rules. We have a few locals that will not shoot in the heat of the summer, not because of the clothing requirement, but because it's just to hot for them. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

And where do you find "The Rules" for beach wear?? :wacko:

Perhaps you failed to see the irony of the post. IMO, new shooters should always be permitted "a certain leeway" when attending their first or second match.

And just for the record, the rules are posted on signs at the entrances to the beach. No dogs, glass containers, fireworks or cowboy clothing.

CS

Seems there is more being added to this post, then I originally wrote, and being added to. I know they hats, and boots are not required except in "B" and "CC".

I wrote there were shooters wearing baseball caps, tennis shoes, and T-shirts,and shorts none of which are sanctioned for CAS. They also were not "themed" matches, in which maybe they could have been worn.

I just addedthere are excuses for not wearing hats, boots, long sleeves shirts, which leads into why are tennis shoes, caps, and T-shirts worn? That was the main post about.

Again, let me clarify again, or re-read my first post on what was mentioned, and what was not. MT

Oh?
...but it seems that the "Cowboy" part is questionable to more and more members. Hats are to hot, boots, are to heavy or hot, long sleeve shirts are hot, etc. excuses...

My point was that "dressin' as cowboys" is not required. Dressin' within the rules is.

And sometimes the alternatives can be a little esoteric. That and the knowledge of how it can be done is a little harder to find also. What about w alkin' up and asking the first "Regulator" you see, "what's the deal?" as you point out the offenders. Yep, it's "tattlin'", but a sight more straight forward than slinkin' off to "the Wire" and essentially doin' the same behind their back. Doesn't the accused have the right to face their accusor? I probably shoulda done a "Utah Bob" and reconsidered my reply, but, I'm more offended by this thread than I am by those that're ignorin' the rules... but not more than by those that SHOULD be enforcin' 'em.

What Cat Brules said.

Other'n that, Marshall, I agree wid ya!

Perhaps you failed to see the irony of the post. IMO, new shooters should always be permitted "a certain leeway" when attending their first or second match.

And just for the record, the rules are posted on signs at the entrances to the beach. No dogs, glass containers, fireworks or cowboy clothing.

CS

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When I used to shoe horses for the Irvine Ranch rent stables on PCH south of Corona del Mar, CA, there wasn't any prohibition against cowboy attire! But, that was almost 40 years ago!

Weather here in SoCal is most certainly a condition in the summer months. This year it has been more severe than most years. This past weekend it was 104 on my front porch. Out on the flatlands where the Cowboys shoot in Norco that would translate easly to 120. We have had folks drop due to heat in past years and have had ambulance in need on at least one occasion. The cowboys have made concessions to this condition, including water avialble to all shooters, and all posse members are charged to watch their pards for symptoms of heat...they have even had a "Castaway Cowboys" shoot in the middle of summer where cowboys are allowed to show up in .....well hat and boots and anything in between is up for grabs, we have seen long johns and even a grass skirt and coconut shells (on a male shooter btw...) they try to keep shooting and make it thru the situation SAFELY!

as for my own self, I have a heart condition and progressive degenerative ostioarthritis (which turns into chronic pain) it appears that chronic pain has a side effect of excessive sweating..(and I used to sweat alot) so in these really hot times I am sweating bullets, and this is not a safe condition, I have never resorted to tennies and ball caps, but have left the usual wool vest and such behind. And even at that Old Top and I both have not shot this month due to the excessive heat (he has a diabetes condition...) as we feel that our health and the safety of others outweighs the need to shoot..ALTHO, I have to say we are really missing throwing lead down range and hope the heat breaks soon.

all in all what I am trying to say, is that we are a fun gruop, and contrary to some opinions do NOT have a costume police, so if folks stay somewhat within the cowboy realm we can still shoot and have fun. After all we are not a reinactor group that requires exact duplication of clothing, etc etc....

so on to the next topic..

curley

btw: I really don't want to see a ball cap at any time on the range, and don't let me see it on someones head sideways...I just might twist the head around to fit the hat...heheheheh

Oh?

My point was that "dressin' as cowboys" is not required. Dressin' within the rules is.

And sometimes the alternatives can be a little esoteric. That and the knowledge of how it can be done is a little harder to find also. What about w alkin' up and asking the first "Regulator" you see, "what's the deal?" as you point out the offenders. Yep, it's "tattlin'", but a sight more straight forward than slinkin' off to "the Wire" and essentially doin' the same behind their back. Doesn't the accused have the right to face their accusor? I probably shoulda done a "Utah Bob" and reconsidered my reply, but, I'm more offended by this thread than I am by those that're ignorin' the rules... but not more than by those that SHOULD be enforcin' 'em.

What Cat Brules said.

Other'n that, Marshall, I agree wid ya!

No problem. As I answered a PM on this. The weather at one range started in the 60s and got as high as lower 80s. I did bring it up why there were a couple shooters with baseball caps and tennis shoes on, I was told it gets hot before end of match and they want shooters to be comfortable.

I only brought it up, because its happening, maybe only at a few clubs which allow it, or turn their back to it. But it can happen more because I see "excuse" written on the wire, and were will it stop, or do we change. I guess before a controversial post, one must go through several pages of explanations, and complete rundown on the item being written about. But I didn't wait to bring this up only on the wire, I also brought it up at the 3 matches out of state, and they were only monthlies. Hope that further clarifies the issue of only posting on the wire. MT

I do commend you on your post, very well written. MT

Archived