SASS Wire Forum

Why are some so Abusive

Colorado Coffinmaker

Why is it, when someone asks a question about a different use of a bullet, or cartridge, someone or several someone's reply condescendingly, "why do you want to do that, why don't you do this", rather than helping out with the original question???? Some folk just might have a real good reason to try something just a little different.

Coffinmaker

Why is it, when someone asks a question about a different use of a bullet, or cartridge, someone or several someone's reply condescendingly, "why do you want to do that, why don't you do this", rather than helping out with the original question???? Some folk just might have a real good reason to try something just a little different.

Coffinmaker

People don't always read the post properly.

Input is input. It might spur you to think of something you might not have. Don't take it personally.

Fillmore

The written word has no inflection or body language. It's easy to misinterpret someone's demeanor on line. There fore an apparent condescending reply may not be one at all. I've seen many misunderstandings occur over the years because of this.

Of course when they resort to name calling, it's a little easier. ;)

Advise on a forum can be worth what you pay for it, more or less.

Many folks think what they use is best so they recommend it.

Sometimes the OP is really in left field and folks are just trying to help get him straight.

Sometimes the OP is badly asking his question so folks don't understand it.

Why would any of these be abusive?

Folks that post a question that is loaded with hidden agendas/issues or dead horses should have a thick skin.

I usually try to answer the question as posted. However, if the person is a newbie and asking for information on something that doesn't work well for CAS I will ask why occasionally or suggest an alternative.

Coffinmaker

Why do you call it "abusive" to show another "path"?

Many times it's a learning curve, and the poster might have gone down the same path as the OP at one point and found a better/smarter way ;)

LG

Greetins CC. Hope your doing well.

I normally view most conversations (questions and replies) as lunch table jawin amongst friends.

My good Pards might ask: 'what would happen if I ....."?

and I would sit across the lunch table and say, "What in the world you want to do that for". And my crazy reply would be with good intentions to help me understand what he really wants to know.

Anyhow, in all aspects, the Wire is entertaining and every now and then, some intelligent post pops up..... :lol:

..........Widder

The written word has no inflection or body language. It's easy to misinterpret someone's demeanor on line. There fore an apparent condescending reply may not be one at all. I've seen many misunderstandings occur over the years because of this.

Exactly my response. UB just beat me to it.

Reminds me of this:

Taken from "Things Women Need To Know About Men" (or something very similar):

"If what we say can be taken two ways, and one of them is bad, we meant the other one."

The internet is like that, because you can't see facial expressions, hear vocal inflections, read body language or any other visual/aural clues. Emoticons help, but only so much. If you start out looking/expecting to be offended by someone's reply, you will be. If you start out with an open mind and "give the shooter the benefit of the doubt", you will have a more harmonious outcome on the internet. :)

Hey Bama how is the knee?

As far the post people being abusive. In part is due to people taking a response personally, way to personally.

UB stated a good point also.

Some people just use the the Internet to be rude. They think thier humor or wit is funny. It probally would be in person. They think constant sarcasism is funny. They never stop to think for a second or reconsider the post before they hit the send button.

Why is it, when someone asks a question about a different use of a bullet, or cartridge, someone or several someone's reply condescendingly,
Coffin maker, do you have a couple of examples where one would reply condescendingly?

For the most part, there are many different responses from those giving an answer based on their likes and dislikes ... many gained for years of shooting and some just a SWAG. The SWAG's beg for a condescending reply. The opposites normally get the +1 ... +2's

One also has to remember, millions of lines of data are at the finger tips of an OP on the Internet. So why is it folks don't use their browser before jumping on the Wire asking a question without having done at least some primarily determine of their question?

And there should be a Flash Banner on the Wire ... DON'T ASK BECAUSE THERE IS NO BEST XYZ?

John Boy,

I'm not pointing specific fingers at specific people. Just would like to see people think about their reply to someone before they hit the enter key.

Coffinmaker

There is a reason teaching is a profession. Not everybody knows how to share valuable information without pi**ing off his audience.

The other day a couple of friends and I were talking about the service club of which we are long time members. One of the guys had an interesting observation. The three of us have been officers and board members long enough to be the guys we used to complain about when we were new, you know those guys who say, "we tried this (or we did that) and it doesn't work" without explaining why. It is very easy to give new members sage advice reflecting real and valuable experience in a way that sounds condescending. I am sure those guys my friends and I complained about 20 years ago were trying to be helpful, just like the three of us are today. Na--they were condescending know it alls, who were full of it. :rolleyes:

TKD, I'm doing all right, for the shape I'm in!

Gonna try to make the March shoot, but will not be shooting, I don't think. I won't have the new knee put in until sometime in March and it is almost impossible for me to get around with out a wheelchair until I get that knee. See ya then!

As is the fine art of not double tapping

CR

CR....you crack me up. Coffinmaker.....I too wish people would re read what they are posting to see if it conveys what they want. In responding to posts as well as pms when I don't know the person I'm careful to proofread....if they know me it's stream of thought.... they expect me to be a bit weird.

KK

And just WHAT do you mean by that? :D

I can't count the times I have seen folks tie up on the Wire, both sides arguing adamantly, and all the while I'm reading what they're saying and thinking, "They are agreeing. They just think they're disagreeing." :D

It could be that some folks will write things on a forum that would get their nose broken if they were to say those things face to face. There are a few rude folks out there in every forum. A poorly asked or misunderstood question is no excuse for rude or abusive answers. How much nicer would it be to ask the original poster to clarify his question? Why would anyone use sarcasm with someone they don’t know and have never met? Why not err on the side of politeness? Some things to ponder!

CR....you crack me up. Coffinmaker.....I too wish people would re read what they are posting to see if it conveys what they want. In responding to posts as well as pms when I don't know the person I'm careful to proofread....if they know me it's stream of thought.... they expect me to be a bit weird.

KK

It's worse since you quit drinkin'

Hey Rick,

it actually started to get worse when the Geisha twins moved back to TN..... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

When do I get to meet these vixens?

I agree with you 100%. Many times I do not make replys to e-Mails or I'll spend a great amount of time responding because "The written word has no inflection or body language. It's easy to misinterpret someone's demeanor on line." So true, so true.

It's worse since you quit drinkin'

The stop drinkin is a past tense.....I quit for a year along with stoppin the cigar thing. At my checkup in November I told my doctor that I hadn't had a drink or cigar for over a year....she replied that she had never told me to quit drinkin...just to scale back a bit, but she definitely told me to stop smokin.

The cabin is still stocked with booze....some scotch and bourbon.....do I get an amen.....

KK

• 3 weeks later...

Why are some so Abusive??? Because they're back shooters.

DD-MDA

Amen Dick...Amen!

The stop drinkin is a past tense.....I quit for a year along with stoppin the cigar thing. At my checkup in November I told my doctor that I hadn't had a drink or cigar for over a year....she replied that she had never told me to quit drinkin...just to scale back a bit, but she definitely told me to stop smokin.

The cabin is still stocked with booze....some scotch and bourbon.....do I get an amen.....

KK

Amen...Are we all invited? <(;-})>

Coffinmaker

Because they think they're better and smarter than anyone else. There's another name for them too but it would get deleted from this post.:)

Rye

Amen...Are we all invited? <(;-})>

Tell ya what....sign up for the black powder shoot/smokeless http://www.korruptkarl.com/ and I'll be sure to share....I always do.

KK

Archived