SASS Wire Forum

What equipment would you recommend for someone starting in CAS?

Marshal May

Greetings all,

Just joined SASS as I'm interested in getting involved in CAS. At my local gun club the next CAS match won't happen until spring time. I have been trying to learn as much as I can from members here and all the great sites and videos on the Internet. So thought I'd ask you fine folks here the wide open question of;

What equipment would you recommend for someone starting in CAS and why?

revolvers?

lever rifle?

caliber?

shotgun?

holster rig?

gun cart?

If I may guide the responses... Focus on ease and value for a beginner to get the most fun out of just participating.

Cheers,

Darrell

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshal -

One size does not fit all.

Suggest you save yer gold dust til you've had a chance to try out several of the choices.

Check out the links below for some good info.

Getting Started in CAS from Cap'n Baylors Ranger Camp

Marauder's Cowboy Page

SASS Handbooks

Grizz

I was in the same position that you were about a year ago. The correct answer is going to be to go to a match first before buying anything. While this is great advice, I didn't follow it. I did luck into some good decisions (i.e. not my first choice, but turned out for the best). If you can't wait, here are some safe choices:

revolvers? Ruger Vaqueros, 4 5/8" barrels

lever rifle? Uberti '73 or a Marlin (although new ones made by Remington seem to have issues)

caliber? .38 is cheaper, .45LC can also be used for Wild Bunch if you plan to do that. Matching calibers is most convenient.

shotgun? Stoeger or Baikal for a double. Both will need slicking up. A '97 can also be used in Wild Bunch.

holster rig? Don't skimp on holsters. Here is what my wife uses: http://www.knightsleatherproducts.com/StarterRig.html

It has everything that you need, and nothing that you don't. They call it their starter rig, but they are very nice! Everyone has been impressed with the rig.

gun cart? Build your own if you are handy. If not buy one of those folding nylon contraptions.

Most of the guns will have to be slicked up to really be usable in this sport. If you are handy, you can do the work youself. In some cases though, it is cheaper buying the guns online already slicked up than buying locally and doing the work yourself. You forgot reloading gear on your list. If you don't already reload, you will eventually end up with a Dillon and a Mec to support your habbit. Welcome and good luck.

Greetings all,

Just joined SASS as I'm interested in getting involved in CAS. At my local gun club the next CAS match won't happen until spring time. I have been trying to learn as much as I can from members here and all the great sites and videos on the Internet. So thought I'd ask you fine folks here the wide open question of;

revolvers? Colt clones, Uberti

lever rifle? 1866

caliber? 45 Colt

shotgun? TNT hammered SxS

holster rig? Leather (sorry couldn't resist) Black Hills

gun cart? Red with yellow pin striping and confederate flag

If I may guide the responses... Focus on ease and value for a beginner to get the most fun out of just participating.

Cheers,

Darrell

Since it will be some time before you can go to a match, study as much about it as you can find the info.

Use the time to locate good used leather, guns, guncart, clothing, etc. If you do not get impatient, you could have most of your gear assembled, cart built, etc.

I would shoot only .38 to start unless you really want to shoot classic cowboy or wild bunch which require bigger bullets. I would also only load one round for pistol and rifle that works well in both.

To make it more affordable, get ready to reload. Cartridges first, but shotshells can also be added later on.

The wife really enjoys the 105 gr. .38 bullet from Dillon (S&S Casting, I think) and are fairly inexpensive.

Have fun, be safe.

Marshall May,

By all means get to a couple of matches and chew the fat.

While you are jawing ask to see what the shooters have.

Most everybody here has an opinion as to what you should use.

BUT only you can tell what you like the most.

Many pards will let you try their guns.... At least handle.

Good luck and welcome to the fire.

Hacker

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy Marshal, welcome to the wire, ask a few of your shooting business are using, pair of Rugers in 38caliper, marlin 1894cb in 38 also, reproduction 97, if you want to start slow shoot in the working cowboy class, only one pistol and one rifle no shotgun. Check out the classifies to see what the guys are selling or put out a WTB on the saloon. Good luck start slow and just have a great time. Pick out a persona look into it then start building your wardrobe and check the classifies again, then you'll need leather spend a little more for a good rig and holsters. Also check www.sportsmensguild.com or www.gunbroker.com, when I dress up I go back to the 1885 in the IA,SD,NE territories as a texas ranger looking for bailjumpers and felon's

Maybe santa will bring you some new toys for christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and you family,

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy Marshal, welcome to the wire, ask a few of your shooting business are using, pair of Rugers in 38caliper, marlin 1894cb in 38 also, reproduction 97, if you want to start slow shoot in the working cowboy class, only one pistol and one rifle no shotgun. Check out the classifies to see what the guys are selling or put out a WTB on the saloon. Good luck start slow and just have a great time. Pick out a persona look into it then start building your wardrobe and check the classifies again, then you'll need leather spend a little more for a good rig and holsters. Also check www.sportsmensguild.com or www.gunbroker.com, when I dress up I go back to the 1885 in the IA,SD,NE territories as a texas ranger looking for bailjumpers and felon's

Maybe santa will bring you some new toys for christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and you family,

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Greetings all,

revolvers?

lever rifle?

caliber?

shotgun?

holster rig?

gun cart?

Cheers,

Darrell

First off Welcome to SASS.

Revolvers, Ruger very tough and easy to maintain.

Rifle depends on Category you plan to shoot. B-Western I'd go with a Marlin but not a newer Remington made one. A Widdermatic or a Spur would serve you well if you can find one.

Any other Category I'd get a '73 slicked and ready to go from one of the Cowboy Smiths. I have one from Cody Conager that is real nice.

Cody's Cowboy Shop

There are several others that have them as well, stay with a Uberti Made, don't try to go cheap and get a Chapparel.

Caliber again depends on Category, Classic Cowboy, .45 Colt any other I'd go .38 special (economy).

Shotgun stay with 12 ga., TTN if you go with Classic Cowboy, Hammerless if any other Category. I shoot a Stoger, SKB or BSS are the best if you can afford them.

Leather, don't go cheap there are plenty of good Leathersmiths in SASS.

Papa Dave Gun Cart, light, stable, easy to travel with.

DAB Manufacturing

These are just my opinions and if any way possible I'd recommend you go somewhere and talk to Cowboys and try out their equipment before you start buying. Or just do like the rest of us and keep buying and sometimes selling till you figure out what you want.

revolvers? Ruger Vaquero (tremendous warranty)

lever rifle? Older Marlin if you can find one, new ones have issues

caliber? whatever works for you, I like 45 Colt

shotgun? CZ

holster rig? El Paso Saddlery

gun cart? Make one with character

Don't fergit the Dillon Press!

Welcome MM, do you have a budget? And how have you approached otherhobbies with a lofty startup cost, dive in for the best or buy a starter kit and ditch it 6 months down the road? Are you looking to be competitive or just have fun? Any experience with other shooting sports?

Best

Brimstone

Welcome Marshal May!

I love hearing we have new folks joining us.

The Websites in Grizz's post will be helpful.

I recommend deciding what shooting style and category interest you most (see the SASS Shooter's Handbook for details). Different categories have different requirements. You can shoot any legal gun, propellant, or style (except gunfighter) in an age based category.

I've just fallen in love with Wild Bunch Action Shooting, so it is good I've always used a model '97 SG. My main match guns are .38s. So, I use a different rifle in .45 as required for WB. Hubby shot Classic Cowboy for a while, so we already had a '73 and a Marlin in .45.

Take your time, ask questions and you should be ready by spring.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Comfortable shoes are a must, especially for ranges with gravel.

In addition to what has been said before I would reccomend contacting some of pards in your local club. Some may be doing dry fire practice and might let you join them. That will give you a chance to test drive their guns and leather in a more comfortable situation, away from the crowd. If you can contact a couple then you can get some ideas as to which category you would like to shoot and which style of holster (double strong, busquadero, cross draw). With that information you will get closer to what you want the first time you purchase. (We all know the first time isn't the last)

Ultimately, get what you want and like. Don't get something "now" and think you'll get something "better" later.

You'll just wind up spending a lot more money that you didn't want to spend.

I won't make any specific gun/caliber recommendations, as that is very much a subjective area. What one pard would think would be great, somone else might have no interest in.

With that in mind however, I'll make a few generic recommendations...

Rifles: Winchester 73 and 92 are very popular, and are good choices. Pre "lawyer safety" Rossi repros of the 92 are also not bad. Avoid the ASM 92's, as their out of the box action is horrid and will require redoing. If the Colt Lightning is of interest to you, go for an AWA. They have a smooth action, and actually work. The Uberti made repoduction Henry's are excellent guns, but the Henry is not a gun for a newbie, in my opinion. There are other guns that are usable for main match rifles, but I am limiting my comments to ones that I actually own. I'll leave the commenting on other makes/models to folks who own/use them.

For revolvers, I am partial to Colts. Just don't care for Ruger. It's an excellent gun by all accounts, but it does not appeal to me personally. I have several Colts in various calibers, 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations, and have never had any issues with any of them. The only Colt clone I have is an ASM that I got used for 250 bucks, and I feel like I stole it. It's a nice pistol. No experience here with other clones.

The Uberti Scofield replica is also a well made gun, very interesting, but not as "fast" as a Colt.

The Uberti made 58 Remmington's are also excellent guns, and they work well with conversion cylinders.

You can't go wrong in any of those areas, so they best thing to do, as others have said, is try 'em all and see what you like.

Shotgun: Win 97 pump, Win 87 lever or SxS? This is very much a matter of personal preference. And while you can't go wrong with any type, you really should go with what you like in this area as one of them might not be specifically right for you. If you wanna go for a double, well... There are a lot out there, new and used. This os one area where I will make a recommendation. Save your pennies, and buy a Parker. Best double ever made, bar none. Just make sure it doesn't have damascus barrels.

For a gun cart, get one that can carry 5 guns. That way, if and when you get to big shoot with side matches, you can carry all of your stuff at the same time. It should also have storage compartments for ammo, gear, and empty brass.

For gun leather: to many variables for me to say other that get what you like.

Finally, you need reloading equipment. I recommend you get both revovlers and your rifle in the same caliber. Makes it simpler, and less expensive to get started. Generically, cartridges with strait wall cases such as .38 Special, .44 Special, and .45 Colt are simpler reload and bottlenecked cases like .32-20, .38-40 and .44-40 are a little more complicated, requireing case lubrication and just a tad more care in the process.

Lee dies are genrally less expensive than RCBS, but not of any less quality as far as I can see, and the powder through the expander die really speeds up the process if you are not using a press that drops the powder for you.

A digital scale that dispenses powder to a preset amount is also a great time saver over trying to measure it out with a traditional mechancial one.

MEC makes several great presses for shotshell loading, and reloading plastic AA hulls is a lot less work than all brass ones.

Finally, I recommend getting a caliber that you can easily obtain factory ammo for at your local gunshop. Now, shooting factory loads for this sport is probibitively expensive, but have a box or two of them gives you two things. 1. A source of quality brass to reload. 2. something to compare your handloads to. It may not be "scientific" but as long as your reloads have lesser or equal recoil to factory Cowboy loads, you know you have not developed a load that is too hot.

Take it with a grain of salt, good luck, and happy shooting.

I bought 2 Uberti Cattleman 38's for $250 a piece from Gunbroker.com. They are still selling them for that. Great guns.

Howdy,

this has come up once or twice.

My short answer is two sa ruger revolvers and one marlin 94 in 357 and a double barrel 12 gauge.

If possible get a marlin what has a quality action job OR one that is not worked on.

the not worked one should have an action job by the best gunsmith you can afford.

These will probably serve you well and if/when the day comes that you want

something else these can be backups to your new favorites.

If you decide you want something completely different these will probably

have resale value of more than 75 percent.

Good luck and dont fergit yer canteen.

Best

CR

Everyone else has pretty much said it.But I want to stress....WAIT...try before you buy.Go to a few shoots.Let them all know you're new and are trying to get into this fun game.Then try every brand,type and style of pistols,rifles and shotguns that you can.You won't go wrong with Rugers for durability.But,they might not feel as good in YOUR hands as another one will.Buy what feels best to you.Same goes for rifles.Most in this game use 66's or 73's.But the older pre Remigton built Marlins are good too.92's if worked on will last a long time but aren't as fast running as a slicked up 66 or 73.Plus the 66 and 73 is a much simpler design.It's a push straight back,lift straight up and push straight in chambering process.The others use a (for loss of a better term) ramp style chambering process.Sometimes those can be overall bullet length sensitive.Shotguns are another gun you'll want to try as many types as possible.97's work well and are also used in Wild Bunch.SxS's are probably the most reliable.Stoeger,Baikal,SKB,BSS etc are probably the most used in this.87 lever shotguns are gaining popularity but can be tempermental.Leather is a personal choice and what catagory you pick might influence what you get there.So,try everything you can before you buy anything.Then once you figure it all out start thinking about reloading.You're gonna go through a BUNCH of ammo.Calibers are another personal choice.I shoot mostly 38's(cheapest to reload) and also shoot 44-40.I reload for both and shotgun.Welcome to the most fun you'll have with clothes on.

:unsure: Canada.....? What are you allowed to own whwere you live?

Go to matches and most time(s), someone will offer different firearms to try.... YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.

Cody, Jimmy Spurs, Jim Bowie, Long Hunter..... etc., etc. Don't rush in..... be patient and weigh the options that are available to you in Canada.

RUGERS are hard to beat as are the older Marlins. '73's are the 'class' of the sport today as are SKB and Winchester '97's.

Leather is a personal option as well and JUST as important as proper fitting firearms..... then there is the ammo issue. Ya gots ta have it to compete. I recommend DILLON. Guncarts are easily made, and I also recommend keeping it simple. Clothes are a part as well and many time good will stores have quality duds iffin' you look for them. Wildwest Merch. (AZ) as well as many other dealers will fix you up..... then there is hats.... :blush:

Welcome to the sport.

Howdy, lotta good advice. FWIW, before you spend one dime on guns and gear start going to as many local matches as you can. Contact the MD, introduce yerself, most of us are more than willing to let you try out our guns and gear. Most of the time the MD can set you up with enough stuff to shoot the match. One bit of advice on rifle caliber, if you want large caliber stick with the 44/40, much better than .45, especially if you ever plan to shoot BP. Good Luck, and Welcome :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

ps; #1 mistake by new shooters is buying guns before they get a chance to try out all the dlfferent types.

#2 is building a gaint gun cart that weighs as much as a tank. :D

Here's a link to the Uberti Hombre revolvers that sell for $250 each on Gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265762011 This auction is for the .357 but they are available in .45 Colt also. Keep in mind that .38 is cheaper to feed. This is a great deal on a new revolver that will work out of the box. You can get a pair of revolvers for the retail price of a single gun.

I would buy a decent gunbelt and holsters. The starter set shown in the prior reply seems like a good bet; it has shotgun shell loops so you don't have to buy a separate shotshell belt.

I wouldn't buy long guns yet. Go to a match and see what people have, and try a few before buying.

Although your local club may not have matches until Spring, I would contact the match director and see if he can put you in touch with some other cowboy shooters. You might get a chance to shoot a practice round.

Didn't read the other replies, but if ya have budget, get used QUALITY stuff and not new cheap stuff.

RUGER vaquero revolvers, period. I've campaigned mine relentlessly and with zero issues since '03, and never give em second thought.

Shotgun? Best bang for the buck in a SXS is a Baikal. A little work to make it open wide and yer there.

Rifle gets a little stickier. I used to be huge Marlin fan, and if ya run into a good one that has been well done by a CAS rifle smith, ya could be OK. BUT Having been there, done that AND run a '73, Id say today there are good, used, maybe not cosmetically perfect '73s out there, and I'd go with one if I knew then what I know now. Get it slicked and tricked, and don't look back.

GOOD LEATHER is a must. Fuggedabout cheap holsters. Name brand "gamer buckets" like Kirkpatrick or other purpose built CAS leather is the way to go. Add a dedicated shot shell belt while yer at it.

None of this stuff is cheap, but cheap will frustrate the heck out of you and hold back the development of your game.

Ya wanna save? Buy a $12 hat and make a gun cart out of a $20 hand cart, but guns and leather DO MATTER A WHOLE LOT.

Decide on the caliber (can't go wrong with 38/357) get some brass and bullets and learn to re-load. won't save you any money but you'll be able to shoot a lot more. sounds like you got plenty of time to accumulate gear and lots of spare time this winter to spend loading so you can shoot when it thaws out.

go to several matches in the spring and talk to the locals and I bet they won't stear you wrong.

Good guns retain value (Rugers and Marlins) and genaraly can be shot out of the box!

Ruger Vaqueros last and last. Ruger fixes them if not for free at a very low cost. If you send them to ruger with after market or modified parts, ruger removes and returns those parts with the gun that has been refitted with factory parts. Think it has to do with liability and they do not want to be involved with a failure of altered or after market parts.I find they work out of the box, some slick them. I figure your normal average kinda guy will probably wear them way slick, by the time a slick gun will actually make a difference in their time. Years ago they were close to the least expensive pistols to start with. Now they cost between 100 and 150 each more than some of the other reasonably good guns out there. They still are dirt cheap compared to real Colts.

Baikal shot guns are the least expensive and very rugged. They need to have their chambers polished to shuck shells. easy to do with something as simple as a dowel and some green scotchbright pad wrapped around it chucked up in an electric drill - If you have one a drill press works better. That way you can hold the barrels with both hands and work them up and down slowly. Another problem with the Baikal is the way they are built the default opening is only about 3/4 open. You need to force the barrels all the way open. Once there if you push loading lever to the left they will stay open. This issue can be fixed but is beyond my skill level and if I ever have it fixed I will pay someone good to do it. As Clint says "A Man has to know his limitations". Before I worked my chambers I had to pick the shells by hand and did not really notice the partial open thing, once I got it to shuck shells the partial open thing drove me nuts

The least expensive rifle is probably a Rossi 92. The newer ones are a lot smoother than the old. They are generally accurate and I find them reliable. They cannot be worked as fast as a 66 or 73, but are stronger and lighter. They too can be slicked at a cost, is it necessary not unless you are really into speed and will not work as fast as the 66-73s. They can be kinda sensitive to cartridge length. Mine will feed 44 mags just fine. If I try the 200 grain roundnose flat point in a 44 special case when I rack open the lever vigorously (which is necessary) the round on the carrier flys out the top of the rifle. I find they feed better with round nose flat points and need a decent crimp to keep the square edge of the case from dragging on the top edge of the chamber. I can get them to chamber semi wad cutter but my rifle does not like them and they are more difficult to chamber so I dont use them. Others may find they work just fine.

Leather is another question entirely there are plenty of folks out there that make good leather, some of it very reasonable, some is very expensive. Kinda depends on what you want. B Western is all about glitz so the fancy tooled and tricked out rigs get expensive. Talk to people about the gear, where they got it, problems with maker etc.

Welcome to the in-sanity !!!!

Have Fun and If ya want to talk PM me yer Phone # and I'll call you on my dime ...

Just tell me what time will work ...

Again Welcome and have fun ...

Jabez Cowboy

I wrote a blog post a few months back in this vary subject. I've been shooting almost a year and I've chronicled all my incarnations. You're welcome to log on, read and add your own observations.

Welcome to the party!

-Pico Pistolero

blog.picopistolero.com

\

there is a lot of good advice on here,......here's my two pesos

first thing to consider is what class you want to shoot in, that can determine what caliber

rifle and pistol to choose.

Ruger Vaqueros are hard to beat ! out of the box, they work, they wont let you down.

45 long colt and 44.40 are a blast to shoot, and are the calibers you normally think of when you think "cowboy shooting". .38 special is more economical, with less recoil.

Marlin Cowboy rifles are hard to beat for a entry level rifle that you wont outgrow in a couple years.

a Stoeger double barrel is a good economical choice , as is a late production norinco model '97. both of these shotguns will benefit from quality action work by a gunsmith.

as far as leather, there are lots of choices out there. El Paso Saddlery makes top quality stuff, as well as Kirkpatrick. Old West Reproductions makes simply beautiful works of art. but there are many more. again, deciding what class to shoot in will help determine the type of holster you need.

a gun cart can be a ready made "rugged cart" or one that you build yourself. the rugged cart is a good gun

cart, well made and sturdy. making your own, I think, makes it more personal, and you can build it exactly

the way you need it. there are many gun cart plans online to start from.

eventually , you will want/need to reload your own ammo,........if you dont already. my personal choice is a

Dillon 550, to load my cartridges, and a MEC sizemaster to load shotgun shells.

someone earlier mentioned comfortable boots, and I whole-heartedly agree ! its hard to shoot straight when your dogs are barkin !

my best advice is , talk to as many folks as you can at the matches you visit, they're all good people and are quick to tell you what they know, and let you handle their equipment,......then make an informed decision.

Enjoy

Greetings all,

revolvers? Ruger SASS Vaqueros-ready off the shelf to compete

lever rifle? Marlin or if you can afford it a 73 or 66, nothing else

caliber? 357/38, by far the most popular and cheapest to shoot by far

shotgun? Stoeger or if you can afford it a used SKB or BSS

holster rig? Kirkpatrick, if you buy cheap leather you will be replacing it shortly

gun cart? make your own-lots of ideas from really really cheap-golf bag and cart from Good Will or equivalent is absolute cheapest.

Cheers,

Darrell

I started CAS in 2006 with the least expensive pistols, rifle, shotgun and leather I could quickly find.

Bad mistake, pistols were unreliable and rusted even with a heavy coat of oil, rifle would not feed reliably, shotgun was a SxS 20 ga and difficult to load and shuck. Stopped shooting CAS to take up off shore fishing.

Returned to CAS in 2011 and decided to go the high road on equipment. Long Hunter was the source for Ruger Vaquero Bisley 38s and Uberti 1873 357 rifle. Best deal I have ever made. Roughneck Rod provided the SKB 100 in 12 ga, again an excellent gunsmith and pardner. Kirkpatrick Leather provided the leather, fast delivery and quality product. Total for all was twice the initial purchased equipment and worth every cent.

Don't repeat my mistake on the initial purchase. Take the time to try out others recommended gear and buy the best you can. Belive me when I say quality gear will make this CAS sport more fun than any shooting sport you have tried. Lets you concentrate on improving your shooting skills and the great folks in your posse, rather than cussing the gear.

Amarillo Rattler.

Ease and Value. Buy used. Everything. The gun cart and such will be broken in, the guns will have (probably) been tuned, and everything will be cheaper than if new.

Thanks for all the great replies. Most appreciated. Waiting is hard but I hear the advice.

Someone mentioned just get revolvers first. What do you think about starting with a Ruger Single Six .22 for target practice at the indoor range over winter before buying the big caliber guns?

For budget I do not wish to go cheapest or most expensive. Best value is what I'm looking for. Participation is the goal, not competition at least to start.

I appreciate good leather as I have horses, saddles and tack. I've been considering Kirkpatrick and Mernickle. The link to Knights Leasther starter rigs was one I had not stumbled on before. Looks like a very good for the price rig.

As I live in Canada we do not have the extensive firearm shopping opportunity that you have in the US. I'd love to order slicked up guns from some of the mentioned CAS gunsmiths but your US export laws dont make this an easy undertaking. So I am limited to what the dealers in Canada are ordering in this spring. Not a lot of stock currently. Really have to place a backorder and wait until spring deliveries occur.

As for caliber if I read and digested everything correctly only two calibers were mentioned .357/.38 and .45. The .38 is least expensive ammo, lowest recoil and might be the better choice for a beginner to participate and have fun. The .45 seems to be recommended as it gives the greatest overall class flexibility. Also would work in mounted shooting howeever currently there is no mounted shooting offered in Manitoba, Canada at the moment.

Should a new shooter go .45 or really do most people start .357/.38 and go .45 after they have some experience.

Same question for shotgun. Do most start with a SxS and then go to a 97 after they have some experience and gain the desire to be more faster/competive?

Someone asked what firearms we are allowed to own in Canada. Good question. Very briefly with the correct firearm safety training courses taken and passed and license application approved we can own everything required for CAS. No problems.

Howdy Pard,

Using .38/.357 is very practical unless you want to shoot Classic Cowboy, then a .45 is required. You can use .38s in Frontier Cartridge.

About recoil, it's all about the loads. I've shot Hubby's .45s without noticing the recoil.

I've primarily shot a '97 and love it. About which is most competitive, it or a SXS, I don't think it can be proven. It depends on the individual and practice. I have an '87 (lever SG) also and use it for the Plainsman Side Match or Frontier Cartridge. I've been known to use it due to physical issues too. I am not able to use a SXS due to the wrist movement it takes.

Most folks say a '73 with a short stroke is the most competitive rifle. Then there are the special folks who have won with Marlin '94s too.

As I am not a fast shooter, I can't say much with authority about competitive aspects.

Just like to chat with folks...

Happy Trails,

Allie Mo

I have seen more people moving away from the 97 shotgun to a SxS, at least in these parts.

A single six .22 is great fun. I have one and enjoy shooting it. It has a different feel than my Ruger New Vaqueros, but as far as practice for sight acquisition it would probably be helpful. Besides, it's just a fun gun to go shoot.

To help ya pass the time waiting, there are a bunch of CAS videos on youtube, includeing a bunch on my youtube channel

Thanks for all the great replies. Most appreciated. Waiting is hard but I hear the advice.

Someone mentioned just get revolvers first. What do you think about starting with a Ruger Single Six .22 for target practice at the indoor range over winter before buying the big caliber guns?

For budget I do not wish to go cheapest or most expensive. Best value is what I'm looking for. Participation is the goal, not competition at least to start.

I appreciate good leather as I have horses, saddles and tack. I've been considering Kirkpatrick and Mernickle. The link to Knights Leasther starter rigs was one I had not stumbled on before. Looks like a very good for the price rig.

As I live in Canada we do not have the extensive firearm shopping opportunity that you have in the US. I'd love to order slicked up guns from some of the mentioned CAS gunsmiths but your US export laws dont make this an easy undertaking. So I am limited to what the dealers in Canada are ordering in this spring. Not a lot of stock currently. Really have to place a backorder and wait until spring deliveries occur.

As for caliber if I read and digested everything correctly only two calibers were mentioned .357/.38 and .45. The .38 is least expensive ammo, lowest recoil and might be the better choice for a beginner to participate and have fun. The .45 seems to be recommended as it gives the greatest overall class flexibility. Also would work in mounted shooting howeever currently there is no mounted shooting offered in Manitoba, Canada at the moment.

Should a new shooter go .45 or really do most people start .357/.38 and go .45 after they have some experience.

Same question for shotgun. Do most start with a SxS and then go to a 97 after they have some experience and gain the desire to be more faster/competive?

Someone asked what firearms we are allowed to own in Canada. Good question. Very briefly with the correct firearm safety training courses taken and passed and license application approved we can own everything required for CAS. No problems.

If you do start shooting a 22 or whatever gun, make sure you start doing it correctly. There are numerous videos, even on the SASS page to members and books on how to properly hold, draw, reholster a single action pistol. It will save you a ton of time later trying to relearn bad habits. Many are never able to relearn bad habits and can just not compete in our sport. You can learn a whole lot by dry firing. When I started probably dry fired a thousand make believe rounds for every live round for a while.

Archived