SASS Wire Forum

HELL ON WHEELS,

Slowhand Bob, 24229

I guess the topic title pretty much says it all. What were your impressions on the new shows first night? Looked like a great set and everything looked good BUT some of the 'mentioned in passing' seemed somewhat dime novel and or pc. The scene in the church and the Indian attack were definite high points, a bit rougher than most TV fare. It left me wanting to see more, for sure.

I guess the topic title pretty much says it all. What were your impressions on the new shows first night? Looked like a great set and everything looked good BUT some of the 'mentioned in passing' seemed somewhat dime novel and or pc. The scene in the church and the Indian attack were definite high points, a bit rougher than most TV fare. It left me wanting to see more, for sure.

Being a deadwood fan, this is good stufff.

I enjoyed it. I assumed that the sergeant was the character played by Colm Meaney, "Thomas 'Doc' Durant" but that is because they seem to be setting him up as the main bad guy. I will continue to watch it. It fills the gap left by Deadwood.

I enjoyed it. I assumed that the sergeant was the character played by Colm Meaney, "Thomas 'Doc' Durant" but that is because they seem to be setting him up as the main bad guy. I will continue to watch it. It fills the gap left by Deadwood.

I kind of doubt it as this is set just after the war and Durant is obviously an established big wig and entrepreneur. Doubtful he would have been a lowly Sgt during the war. More likely a war profiteer.

I was happy to be watching a new western. I think it will get better. The pilot episode is laying the story plots and ground work for what's to come. I hope it turns out to be a good one.

I kind of doubt it as this is set just after the war and Durant is obviously an established big wig and entrepreneur. Doubtful he would have been a lowly Sgt during the war. More likely a war profiteer.

Excellent point

The locomotive looked highly suspect while in motion, almost computer-generated. The stills of it looked like a plywood mockup. But that's just my .02 worth as a hard-core railfan and half-assed HO modeler. Other than that, I was favorably impressed.

I liked it, dirty, gritty and historically correct firearms and clothing. A bit confusing at times but they're setting up the story. I'll watch it every week lookin forward to the next episode. Cool, a western series!B) Rye

The locomotive looked highly suspect while in motion, almost computer-generated. The stills of it looked like a plywood mockup. But that's just my .02 worth as a hard-core railfan and half-assed HO modeler. Other than that, I was favorably impressed.

Did you notice, BLANK number plates on smokebox doors, NO cabside numbers, NO U.P.R.R. on tender sides? Drive and connecting rods seem to be a bit thin. yours. Nota John

Did you notice, BLANK number plates on smokebox doors, NO cabside numbers, NO U.P.R.R. on tender sides? Drive and connecting rods seem to be a bit thin. yours. Nota John

===========================================================

Yup, noticed all that too. Real cheap and cheesey looking, like a good stiff wind could have blown the whole thing over on its side.

Shucks, when I saw the title "Hell on Wheels" I thought it was going to be a documentary on the Second Armored Division!

:lol:

I liked it, dirty, gritty and historically correct firearms and clothing.

Noticed that as well. Sort of like "Deadwood" but without the cussin'.

Noticed parallels to another defunct TV series as well: "Lonesome Dove, The Outlaw Years" where the protagonist was also a CSA officer who had lost his wife and home to the yankee invaders, and was (in at least a few episodes) looking to track down those responsible and exact his vengeance.

It appears to have merit, and will be interesting to see how the plot develops.

Shucks, when I saw the title "Hell on Wheels" I thought it was going to be a documentary on the Second Armored Division!

:lol:

Noticed that as well. Sort of like "Deadwood" but without the cussin'.

Noticed parallels to another defunct TV series as well: "Lonesome Dove, The Outlaw Years" where the protagonist was also a CSA officer who had lost his wife and home to the yankee invaders, and was (in at least a few episodes) looking to track down those responsible and exact his vengeance.

It appears to have merit, and will be interesting to see how the plot develops.

Lonesome Dove "The Outlaw Years" was a great show. I loved the girl that ran the gun shop with her dad at first then by herself. Rye

If we look to close there are bound to be short cuts, especially in those things that would be far to expensive to film on a weekly TV budget. I will say that AMC is really getting into some new territory for standard TV fare, as those who are following the Walking Dead series just found out. The old joke about shooting ones friend in the leg so as to occupy the bear while you escape, well that card was actually played on Walking Dead last week. One of the two top main characters actually sacrificed a friend, shooting him in the leg with the last bullet, so that he could escape the zombies that were upon them. Very gritty when the old guy grabbed him while begging for his life and he simply ripped him loose and ran.

My wife and I actually thought it was pretty good and are looking forward to seeing more.Oh,I am sure,Hollywood,being the way they are,we can find fault with any television program on the screen that they want to throw at us just so they can accomplish their main goal to brainwash us with all their commercials.We old cowboys need more westerns on television and less ugly zombie movies and reality shows.AMC does a pretty good job in trying to bring us movies that are worth watching while stations like Si-Fi want to have us think that their are enough ghosts in the world to have a run on them just about every night.Really? I say bring it on AMC,give us all the westerns that you can muster up.

Oh,and I don't think they are going to let us know who the Sargent is right away.That would be to easy.I do have suspicions that it is the big guy that owns the rail road operation but then we'll see.

Greg,

You'd probably be critical of my Burlington Route E5. It looks like an E6 to which corregated siding has been added, and the engine room windows are wrong for an E5 but right for an E6...'cause that's what it is! (Just couldn't bring myself to start carving on the E6 body that much. Had to move the number boards further forward as it is.) :P

I think that since that fire down to Old Tucson, there haven't been too many period-correct hogs left to photograph. I suspect that Knott's Berry Farm's steamer is either too recognizable or too expensive to rent the whole place.

Boaaard!

You are assuming "the sergeant" was a sergeant in the Civil War and not the Mexican War, right?

I like the show.. I'm also, glad to see a western series back on TV..

I noticed the 2 brothers showing the slides in the tent.. The slides are in color.. :wacko:

thought... Now why'd they put them in color instead of black and white..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' yeah... I'll still watch it :)

The butler did it in the pantry with a candle stick :)

I like the show.. I'm also, glad to see a western series back on TV..

I noticed the 2 brothers showing the slides in the tent.. The slides are in color.. :wacko:

thought... Now why'd they put them in color instead of black and white..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' yeah... I'll still watch it :)

The butler did it in the pantry with a candle stick :)

The slides very well could have been hand-tinted in that era. If so, a very nice touch for the production staff.

You can rarely judge a show by its pilot. They are are often trying to get too much foundation laid to be very good. Having said that, I didn't think much of the look. I have not seen the 2nd one yet (its on too late for me to watch first run). But in general, folks looked like they were in "costumes' rather than clothes. Also, it looks like "props" rather than a lived in world (as opposed to a show like Deadwood). It reminds me of watching cowboy shows from the 50s and 60s. A very thin, tidied up set with folks that are too clean and not comfortable in their clothes. The one I have seen I would give a C+/B-. But hey, it could get better. Its nice that people are starting to think in terms of the western again. I wish it well.

The second segment was awesome. I really like this show. Wish it was a full length movie and that's my only beef!

We should all email AMC and thank 'em fer going "western". I'm going to. Rye B)

I have cable television with 150 channels.AMC is one of the three channels that I enjoy.I am glad television is starting to come around to my way of thinking.Now we just have to convince all the others.Good luck with that.

I enjoyed the second show also.One hour just isn't long enough though and to wait a whole week is just to torturing.

Didn't care much for the pilot episode. Similar to Deadwood where they used cusswords for shock value and stuck them in where they didn't belong making the dialog sound silly (Didn't watch Deadwood after the first episode.) HOW used gore the same way. HOWEVER watched the 2nd episode last night, it was very good. and now I'm hooked.

The O'Meara Himself

Overall I like it. My wife isn't quite sold on it yet, but we both agreed that last night's episode was better than the pilot. The jury's still out on whether I'll own it when it hits Blu-Ray, but we'll see (Need to see a few more episodes before that decision can be made). I do like the line up of Walking Dead and Hell on Wheels - makes fora good Sunday night! B)

Anyone know how many episodes will be in this season of Hell on Wheels? Hopefully it's not 6 like they did with the first season of The Walking Dead.

BTW - what was the revolver Thomas Durant (Colm Meaney) laid out on his desk in last night's episode? No bbl... just a cylinder. Doesn't look like it would be very accurate beyond a couple of yards.

Overall I like it. My wife isn't quite sold on it yet, but we both agreed that last night's episode was better than the pilot. The jury's still out on whether I'll own it when it hits Blu-Ray, but we'll see (Need to see a few more episodes before that decision can be made). I do like the line up of Walking Dead and Hell on Wheels - makes fora good Sunday night! B)

Anyone know how many episodes will be in this season of Hell on Wheels? Hopefully it's not 6 like they did with the first season of The Walking Dead.

BTW - what was the revolver Thomas Durant (Colm Meaney) laid out on his desk in last night's episode? No bbl... just a cylinder. Doesn't look like it would be very accurate beyond a couple of yards.

It was called a "pepperbox" at one time popular on the various frontiers.

Archived