SASS Wire Forum

Fork or chopsticks?

Grizzly Dave

Met the extended family for lunch at a hibachi place, you know, where they make the food on a grill that is part of your table. So there are 11 of us sitting around this table, and I notice that everyone is using a fork, except me! Now I'll admit I went to a fork to clean up the last of the fried rice, but I used chopsticks on most of the meal.

So, when at a place that supplies chopsticks as well as silver ware, which do you use?

Grizz

I didn't learn to use chopsticks until I was in Germany... Now, I use 'em almost exclusively for Asian food...

Vaya con Dios

for asian food I cook my self I not only eat with the sticks but I have an extra long bamboo pair that I cook with as well (Touch the end to the heating oil in the wok and you can judge how hot the oil is by the stream of bubblies you get) some food just tastes better eaten with the sticks and I lile the way the flavors drip off the meat into the rice bowl held in my other hand as I carry the food to my mouth (also catches any fumbles) 30 or 40 years ago it was rare to see other westerners eating with the sticks in an asian eatery but today in large metropolitan areas it is now the other way around... in the northeast anyway.

Chop sticks, but I only eat food that is cooked. Someone else can eat the bait!

I tried Sushi and found that it takes two shots of Saki and four Kirin beers to get the taste of bait off my tongue!!!

Am using chopsticks if you prease. Thank you velly much.:D

My war trophy Cambodian chopsticks.

Ifin I'm not too keen on da food dey service, I'll use chopsticks..........................:unsure:

Ifin I'm hungery, den I'll use a fork, By God !! :FlagAm:

Chopsticks for Chinese food. If the chef meant you to taste metal, he'd have given you a nail to suck on.

Seriously though, when I went through the survival instructor's course, one of our assignments was to carve a set of eating utensils. While everyone else was busy carving a fork and spoon (knives were considered part of our everyday clothing and we all had a sheath and pocket knife), I quickly carved a pair of chopsticks. Found out later all meals from then on had to be eaten with our carved utensils. Most people lost weight during the course. I gained 4 pounds.

I didn't learn to use chopsticks until I was in Germany... Now, I use 'em almost exclusively for Asian food...

Vaya con Dios

Yeah, but you stick them in your nose and bark like a walrus.:wacko:

Yeah, but you stick them in your nose and bark like a walrus.:wacko:

You wouldn't believe what those German chopsticks look like! :blink:

Met the extended family for lunch at a hibachi place, you know, where they make the food on a grill that is part of your table. So there are 11 of us sitting around this table, and I notice that everyone is using a fork, except me! Now I'll admit I went to a fork to clean up the last of the fried rice, but I used chopsticks on most of the meal.

So, when at a place that supplies chopsticks as well as silver ware, which do you use?

Grizz

I can use them.. but I am not a graceful person and when i start talking I am better off using a fork.. lol... My thing is I do not care if you use a fork, spoon, fingers, or chopsticks at my home or at yours.. .. as long as you eat and laugh.. That is all that matters to me

Chop sticks, but I only eat food that is cooked. Someone else can eat the bait!

I tried Sushi and found that it takes two shots of Saki and four Kirin beers to get the taste of bait off my tongue!!!

Gosh, Ethan by them you are only mildly entertaining.. l;ol

I can use them.. but I am not a graceful person and when i start talking I am better off using a fork.. lol... My thing is I do not care if you use a fork, spoon, fingers, or chopsticks at my home or at yours.. .. as long as you eat and laugh.. That is all that matters to me

Good, I eat with my hands much of the time :D At least when eating pizza it's socially acceptable.

:D

Good, I eat with my hands much of the time :D At least when eating pizza it's socially acceptable.

Grizzes I have this awful habit of savoring my food by licking my fingers,. I don't eat a ton, but I love every bite I take.. I eat flavorful foods with a punch.. lol... No point in being a wimp.. lol

No offense to you chopstick users but what a terribly stupid invention that was!!! Wow, for a civilization that's as old as the Asians ya think they woulda came up with sumthin better than 2 sticks!!!!!:wacko: Never said I couldn't use 'em, I just never had a use for 'em!:lol: Rye

GIMME A FORK!

I'm usually half way thru the meal before the sticks and my brain get together.

I like using them.

But not with the mashed potatoes and gravy, Grizz. I keep telling you that it is a BIG social faux pas. Sometimes, you just can't take that boy anywhere.

I have severaI years of experience in Japan, Okinawa, and Vietnam, but don't see any reason to use chopsticks these days.

I gotta go with Lefty on this. He says he can't understand how a culture that came up with the wonderful ceramic spoon could also devise something as ridiculous as a blunt one-tined wooden fork.

Archived