SASS Wire Forum

how old is old enough for a pocket knife?

Trigger Mike

one of mine wants a pocket knife and he does not know I already bought him a Bear Grills (Man Verses Wild) pocket knife, but I want to wait til he is old enough and responsible enough. What is a general good age so I can add a year or two to it?

one of mine wants a pocket knife and he does not know I already bought him a Bear Grills (Man Verses Wild) pocket knife, but I want to wait til he is old enough and responsible enough. What is a general good age so I can add a year or two to it?

I doan think thre is a set age. Everyone matures at a differ'nt rate. Some 6year olds act more responsibly than some nine year olds.

Heck, Just Charming tries to sharp objects away from me an' Ah'm 30+ :blink: ....or so.

R3B

When they have developed some sense of:

* respect for other people's property

* the ability to hang onto their own stuff without loosing it every night in their own bedroom

* awareness of the injuries that a "grown-up" tool can inflict if used wrong

* the guts to say no to their friends who have worse ideas than they do

* understanding of the rules of where they might not be able to take a pocketknife

From 30 years of working with youth in Hunter Safety and Boy Scouts, the occasional boy at 10 is able to do this. More than half are able to do this by 14. Some never learn all those important precursor steps.

They can learn how to use it fairly safely in about 10 minutes. Learning how to own and carry one can take a lot longer.

Good luck, GJ

My nine year old grandson is safer with a knife than I am. I allway cut myself.

yep ... I tend to agree with the " it varies as some mature at different ages" I think i was old enought at 5 but i dont think my dad did, i was at the store and back then they never questioned what ya bought and i bought a pocket nife, of course my dad saw me with it and took it away... then about a week or so later i bought another one.... took it too, dont think he let me keep one tell i was 8 or 9, then when i was 10 or 11 i got my first bb gun (Co2 even) then got my first real gun at 13 Winchester model 94 30-30 IT was sweeeeeet!

My dad gave me a VERY dull one when I was quiet youung (6 or 7). I would beg for him to sharpen it for me and I always got the same answer. When you are old enough to sharpen it you will be old enough to have a sharp knife. I basically had a butter knife till I was 11 or 12.

Depends on the kid. I think around fifth grade or so, along with appropriate education of course!

:blink: :blink: :blink: By the fifth grade I was already shooting my .22 and .410 for a year. You're a hard man... ;)

I highly recommend reading Pat McManus's First Knife, from his book "The Grasshopper Trap." :rolleyes: Warning: Don't be drinkin' hot coffee while readin' it! :lol:

I qoute excerpts from this story when conducting "Wood Tools" training for Boy Scout leaders.

Speaking of which, most kids come in to Boy Scouts (usually from Cubs) at about age 12... most already have had a pocket knife for a couple of years. But they're not allowed to carry then on Scout outings until they earn their "Totin' Chip," a card they're awarded after instruction and passing a very basic skill and safety test.

If you like, you can download a copy here: Totin' Chip

Have fun~! ^_^

I was given my first pocket knife when I was 7, managed to lose it in the orchard an hour lat=er, never found it. Bought another one at Boy Scout camp when I was 8, and have had one ever since. We were taught in Boy Scouts how to sharpen them when we were 9, and my dad gave my brother and I bowie knives when we were 9 and 10. My brother managed to cut himself good shortly after that, but except for that we have never hurt our selves with them. I gave my son a small swiss army knife this year and he is 8, and he has been fine with it. Just told him he can NEVER take it to school, bunch of PC types running that place, don' t want him to get expelled for nothing. They found an EMPTY .223 shell casing onthe lawn of teh school. BIg deal, As we were leaving that day I was messing with the principal and mentioned that I heard about the shell, She knows I shoot, so she gave my son a hard look and said to me " I don't suppose you know anything about that shell?" I said couldn't be my son, he never carries anything smalle than a .308, and I walked away. She sure had a funny look on her face, it was priceless!

:blink: :blink: :blink: By the fifth grade I was already shooting my .22 and .410 for a year. You're a hard man... ;)

that's because when you were that young right after the Civil War you still had to hunt for food :D:lol: :lol:

A BIG +1 for GJ's post. Age is irrelevant, it is maturity and responsibility that decide when it is "right" to do so. I am alomost 50, and there are people in my genrtation that I still wouldn't hand a blade to.

My son got his first Old timer stockman at age 7, my stepson at age 9, but they both grew up with me on their arses living farm life around tools and weapons everyday. others' milage will vary.

Bodine

I think I had my first (and second, and third) in third grade. I didn't get cut up and my folks didn't take it away from me, so I must have been mature enough. By 5th grade I could put a nice point on a pencil with it about as fast as the regular pencil sharpener could.

As others have said, it all depends on the person.

You have a Good Point Bodine, I know people in there 40's and 50's i wouldnt hand one to

My wife for one

I don't remember whenI didn't carry aknife.

I gave my son one of his own when he turned 12. I gave my grandson one last Christmas just before he turned 10. I think he's old enough. My son thinks he's old enough. My DIL has it under lock and key until the boy turns 35.

My daughter got her first one, a Swiss Army Camper, from Santa Claus when we were camping in Death Valley one December. I think she was eight. She wondered how Santa knew she was in Death Valley and why he brought it the week before Christmas.

I told her that Santa wanted her to have it while she was camping.

yep ... I tend to agree with the " it varies as some mature at different ages" I think i was old enought at 5 but i dont think my dad did, i was at the store and back then they never questioned what ya bought and i bought a pocket nife, of course my dad saw me with it and took it away... then about a week or so later i bought another one.... took it too, dont think he let me keep one tell i was 8 or 9, then when i was 10 or 11 i got my first bb gun (Co2 even) then got my first real gun at 13 Winchester model 94 30-30 IT was sweeeeeet!

Don, your dad and my dad must have been separated at birth! :lol:

Seems I always had a "Boy Scout" folder in my pocket. Still have one made by Kabar in the 1950's, got when I was 7 or 8.

But like others have said, I know some 30 yo's that shouldn't play pointy-objects :lol:

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments about maturity. There are some individuals (kids and adults) that I wouldn't trust with a pointed stick.

My granddad gave me my first pocket knife when I was six, then showed me how to sharpen it when I was eight. (I cut my thumb the same day I learned how to sharpen the thing. Still remember standing there in my grandmother's kitchen while she bandaged me up.) I've had one in my pocket practically everyday since then...except when going through the airport. :angry:

I gave each of our four kids their first pocket knife when they were seven, but a lot of instruction went along with that first knife. As a result, it's kind of been a tradition in our family that when each of our grandkids turns seven, they get a pocket knife from Grandpa, along with my traditional lectures of instruction, care, and safety.

The knife they usually receive is a small Case knife, their choice of color. I don't think there is anything that that says, "I trust you," more than giving a kid a pocket knife. Just my two cents. So far, only one of the grandkids has made a mistake in using his knife. (If I remember, his dad caught him trying to stick it in the dirt.) As a result, his parents took it away for awhile until he could demonstrate he was responsible again.

I gave Brave Star one of those itty bitty Swiss Army knives, the ones you use for cleaning your finger nails (weapon my arse) when he was around 10. His mother didn't like it but she relented. He cut himself with it in the first hour he had it. We took it away for a while and he had no trouble after that. He wasn't fooling around with it. He just closed it on his finger. amazing how sharp those little buggers are.

Funny how older siblings can affect your own maturity. My dad gave my older brother a Colt New Frontier .22 when he turned 16. A couple years later I asked if I would get a pistol when I turned 16. My dad said I could get a pistol when I could buy my own. Same thing happened with cars. Seems my brother totalled 3 before his 18th birthday. Did the 4th before he was 20. Dad even threatened that I wouldn't be able to get my drivers license because he didn't want to go through the same thing with me. He didn't. The line I had to tow got real narrow because of my brother. The only way I had a knife as a kid is someone would snap one of the blades off and the knife became a cast off. It still had a blade so I'd use that one. Feel nekid without one now.

All of my grandsons have received a Buck Stockman engraved with their initials at birth.

It's up to their Momma and Daddy as to when they allow posession.

I got my first pocketknife when I was 6, and lost it soon after. I got my next one when I was 7, and have been carrying a pocketknife of one sort or other every day since then. I've lost several more over the years, but I have also found several that other folks have lost, so it's been a wash.

I'm sure many of the liberals out there will find this hard to believe, but as I mentioned earlier, I got my first pocket knife when I was six and carried one to school everyday thereafter (they weren't forbidden back then)....AND, believe it or not, I never stabbed anyone with it. Not even once. :)

I'm sure many of the liberals out there will find this hard to believe, but as I mentioned earlier, I got my first pocket knife when I was six and carried one to school everyday thereafter (they weren't forbidden back then)....AND, believe it or not, I never stabbed anyone with it. Not even once. :)

======================================================

I carried my knife to school every day too. Kids will have fights from time to time, and we were no exception, but using a knife on someone was just not done. We were raised better than that.

======================================================

I carried my knife to school every day too. Kids will have fights from time to time, and we were no exception, but using a knife on someone was just not done. We were raised better than that.

I think that you said it all, right there, Greg. My Grandfather gave me a cheap pocket knife when I

was six or seven. He also gave me a lecture on how to care for it and care of it's use. My father gave

his permission for me to carry it. I carried it to school, and just about every where I went. I was more

afraid of my Father's disapproval than I was of any kid on the play ground. He77, I was more afraid

of betraying his confidence than just about anything I can imagine.

A side note, I think the OLD TIMER in my pocket is just about worn out. The blades are getting very

thin. I use it just about every day. Wonder if I could get the factory to re blade it?

Archived