SASS Wire Forum

What's the Call

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

Hi Folks,

First, let me warn you, I'm not going to give all the details in the first question.

There were two targets to engage, alternating for 10. The shooter engaged one dumping 10.

What is the call?

Regards,

Allie Mo

Here we go

OK, I'll bite. If the directions were to alternate between two targets and he didn't then it's a "P". OK, what's the catch? One target fell down? :)

Okay,

I will tell you what happened as the only potential answers have been given.

A certain old blonde wasn't paying attention when the scenario was read, only saw one target, and dumped 10 on it. After, being told she got a P, she asked what did I do wrong. They told her she only engaged one target. :blush:

She asked, where is the second target and they pointed to it.

You'd have to have been there to get the real picture. The target she (okay, it was me) didn't engage was a piece of angle iron, about 2 inches on each angle, painted black at a "gazillion" yards. This was Chabot.

Just posted this to try to illustrate that sometimes you have to be there and know more than is stated...

Regards,

Allie "The old blonde" Mo

I'll see that and raise the following...

Scanrio is read stating alternate between R1 (the big close one) and R2 (the small far away one) for ten rounds.

1) Shooter dumps ten rounds on R1, says nothing

2) Shooter shoots R1 twice, says "aw crap" and then dumps the remianing 8 on R1 as well

3) Shooter shoots R1 twice, pauses slightly but says nothing and then dumps 8 more on R1

4) Shooter shoots R1 once, misses R2, dumps 8 on R1

5) Shooter shoots R1 - R2 - R1 - R1 then does a quick dump of the other 6 on R1

6) Shooter shoots R1 - R2 - R1 - R2 - R1 - R1 - then does a quick dump of the other 4 on R1 and says nothing

7) Shooter shoots R1 - R2 - R1 - R2 - R1 - R1 - then does a quick dump of the other 4 on R1 and jokes with the TO "I already had the P figured I might as well make up some time"

8) Shooter dumps 10 on R1 and when given a P says "I didn't even know there was another target"

Howdy:

OK, I'll bite - it is either a "p" or 5 misses. I would give him/her a "p" - cause I'm easy.

STL Suomi

Pard,

The five miss call would be appropriate if a "different type" target was engaged. For example, shooter engages pistol targets with rifle. BTDT too. :blush:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Believe it or not, common sense must rule.

First, we can not determine intent.

Second, it does not matter if the shooter is a slow shooter, middle of the pack shooter or fast shooter.

Third the stage calles for alternating between the two targets.

Here's where the common sense comes in.

If the shooter didn't know where the second target was, the shooter should have asked.

If the shooter shot only the "large" target it is a P and a Spirit of the Game.

Now some will ask how can a 10 second procedural be "gaining a competitive advantage" well just look:

1. The shooter did not have to take the time to swing from one target to the next.

2. The shooter did not have to take the time to aim at the little, far away target.

Thus gaining a competitive advantage.

It does not take a "gamer" to do this. The one SOG I called on a guy for dumping into targets after receiving a P was a middle of the pack shooter.

If the target selection and placement is not what you like, you can:

1. Not shoot the stage and get a DNF

2. Complain loudly and leave the match

or

Accept the stage and volunteer to write the next months match.

Seriously - unfair advantage was gained by the shooter even if it was unintentional. Other shooters had up to 5 misses on the tiny little target + the time to swing back & forth. Under the circumstances & explination a "P" sounds appropriate -- except--- what about everyone else who listned & shot it correctly ?

Sorry Ramrod,

You jumped in without reading my subsequent post. Folks who've shot Chabot would understand how this could happen. BTW, one does not complain at Chabot nor offer to write scenarios. One merely giggles at oneself when doing something stupid.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Seems like he was easy. Since r 2 was not hit 5 misses failure to engage procedural. Total 35 seconds. And saw post bout a s o g earlier in wire. Real hard a... might had added as well. I got p for not alternating on tombstones for same reason I didn't listen.

Wildman

Sorry Ramrod,

You jumped in without reading my subsequent post. Folks who've shot Chabot would understand how this could happen. BTW, one does not complain at Chabot nor offer to write scenarios. One merely giggles at oneself when doing something stupid.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I have shot at chabot but never at one of those matches, my understanding is it is a blast to shoot there

The only two choices here are;

1 whether to give Allie a P for not providing all the necessary information

2. to give a SOG for not engaging the other target.

So from my side of the saddle;

P to Allie! on the wire

P for the shooter. at the match.

Appears that according to post #11 Allie the shooter didn't see the 2nd target.

But wait the stage instructions said alternate which implies 2 targets.

You'd have to have been there to get the real picture. The target she (okay, it was me) didn't engage was a piece of angle iron, about 2 inches on each angle, painted black at a "gazillion" yards. This was Chabot.

Just posted this to try to illustrate that sometimes you have to be there and know more than is stated...

Regards,

Allie "The old blonde" Mo

So, what was the call?

(considering that Chabot operates under "modified" SASS rules...e.g. 10-seconds per miss; a "P" for each shooting string; T/O's ruling is final;...&tc...at least for their annual match)

:wub:

My thoughts..

Failure to engage all the targets gave an unfair advantage to the shooter.. or penalized the rest of the shooters for shooting it properly...

Allie.. did you really do this? :blush:

I'd probably feel that a SOTG should be awarded.. but I guess I wouldn't argue with the RO if he said no... just a "P" she didn't know there were 2 targets..but.. that's also the shooters responsibility...

The comment, earlier on this thread, was made that many times a shooter (if the last of the pack) is still at the unloading table when the next stage scenario is being read.. Well then they have what 8-15 shooters to watch to see how the stage is done...

I guess I'm in the SOTG camp..

Sorry Miss Allie

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I'd sure hate to call it on you :blush:

What did they do? Hang ya with a new rope? :lol::lol:

What was the call?

Hi Folks,

First, let me warn you, I'm not going to give all the details in the first question.

There were two targets to engage, alternating for 10. The shooter engaged one dumping 10.

What is the call?

Regards,

Allie Mo

oh for get it, I was gunna say

SOG, just fer funn

hear we go a again :o

Thanks for posting, Pards!

Yes Rance, I really did this. BTW, didn't you hear that I (and two others) engaged the pistol targets with our rifles at the US Open? :rolleyes::blush: Hey! I was the only blonde. I wonder what their excuses were. :unsure:;):lol:

I got a P at Chabot. The only other possibility was a P + a SOG. Luckily the dumb look on my face and my question assured them it wasn't willful. IIRC this was a monthly match.

Sigh! I must restate, sometimes you just had to be there. :)

Regards,

Allie Mo

The SASS shooters handbook clearly spells out this rule:

Page 127 Section 2 paragraph 3:

If the shooter is a cute blonde cowchick making pretty eyes, then all SOG rules are suspended. No re-shoot unless she felt unduly pressured or had other things on her mind at the time of the infraction. :wub:

When these "You Make the Call" threads come up someone always states a Spirit of the Game penalty should be awarded. Not trying to hijack the thread, but it does seem the answer has been found, just how many of you in SASS Wire land have actually seen a SOTG penalty been given?

I've been a SASS member since 1991 and started shooting in 1993 and I've NEVER seen one given. Heck, I've never been to a match where one was given. What gives with this rush to hand out SOTG penalties?

I know it is in the rules, but I'm just curious.

Dan, I don't think anyone is in a hurry to hand out an SOG penalty. I came up in one thread and got people thinking about it, and that brings up other questions and comments.

The SASS shooters handbook clearly spells out this rule:

Page 127 Section 2 paragraph 3:

If the shooter is a cute blonde cowchick making pretty eyes, then all SOG rules are suspended. No re-shoot unless she felt unduly pressured or had other things on her mind at the time of the infraction. :wub:

:rolleyes::lol:

My only question is who was you yaking with when you should have been listening and was the chat about shooting or your first new pair of high heels in 7 years? :rolleyes:

PS: I have a feeling I am going to catch hell over this post at that match Saturday :unsure:

Archived