SASS Wire Forum

deer hunting

evil dogooder

Topic says it all. Do you use a sass legal gun or something more modern.

Also what would be a better deer gun marlin or 92? With the stipulation that ya have to use iron sights

The deep evergreen forest of western Washington are perfect for a Rossi 92' in .44 magnum,

I've had shots as close as 35' in deep timber :)

.357mag isn't legal for deer here, even if some blacktail are kinda' small :mellow:

I live in a shotgun zone but normally use a revolver which is legal here started with 44 mag then went to a 357 now I use a 45. All in new black hawks. This year my father and I are going up north to rifle zone. He has a model 70 that has only been fired 28 times... a wedding present from my mom 33 years ago. ..so he's good I have a nagant that I will be using but my brother needs something and we haven't decided what to get yet. If I get a rifle for cas in time that's probably what he'll use, but I would lovee to hear what you guys use/think

Each year I carry my Henry Big Boy in .45 Colt, and have my OMV on my hip for shorter shots. My son uses his Blackhawk in .357

BSD

I live and hunt in the west and as such, longrange shooting is necessary. My main deer/antelope gun is my old standby Ruger M77 (early model with tang safety) in 25-06. A Leupold 4x14 VX III is mounted on this tac driver. I have taken over 50 deer and 30 antelope with it. I bought it new in 1977 and it has never failed me, use it every year.

I do own an apple orchard here in Colorado and a couple of times I have used my SASS gun, a 73 in .45 LC to take a nice fat doe. I used my normal BP load that I shoot in matches. Both times they were head/neck shots at less than 30 yards.

I am too old to run up and down the hills anymore, but when I did, my favorite and only available rifle was my .06 with a 3 x 9 scope.

Given where I live now, and the type of hunting that I would be doing, I would probably opt for a .270 WSM or the .30-06, or perhaps a .300 Mag.

The ballistics on the .270 WSM are impressive but they are much more limited in bullet selection than the other two.

That said, a wide range of bullets in a single barrel and rifling is not always a better thing.

My best Kentucky deer was taken with a Remington Model 8 chambered for the .32 Remington.

Most of the time I alternate between a Winchester 670A in .243 and a sporterized Smith-Corona 03A3 in 30/06.

I have a Marlin in .41 Magnum which I may take hunting this fall.

Recurve or longbow.... I've never killed a big game animal with a gun. 16 Elk, 8 whitetails, 3 mule deer, 4 moose, 6 turkeys, 3 sheep.... does that count? No bears... since you can't legally carry a gun during bow season the bears and I have a simple agreement: They don't eat me and I don't eat them. :)

Same exact set up as Big Sage Ruger 25-06 with a Leupold. I've used it on everthing from Praire dogs to Elk. I've also used my match Blackhawks, Rossi 92 in 357 and Marlin in 45 Colt. For birds and such usually my match 97's. When the Warden is sneaking around I switch to a 1300 for steel shot.

I use a Parker Stealth set at 67 pounds with 65% let-off, Spot-hog sight, drop away rest, Cabelas release, Carbon Express arrows, and Assassin mechanical broad heads,

EC

My favorite deer rifle now is my 22 inch barrel Ruger M77 tang safety model in .308 cal. The 165 grain Nosler partition bullets and Federal match primers give me sub-MOA groups at 100 yards.

I've hunted w/ a Buffalo Bill Winchester Commemorative fitted w/ a marbles tang sight sight, stoked w/ Federal 170 soft point ammo.

To this date, I have taken 4 elk, 3 mulies and countless varmits.

I have also taken a 4x5 Bull Elk @ 185 yards w/ my Marlin 336 Cowboy with a Bushnell 1.5 - 5 power scope& federal ammo....

I am looking forward to successfully using my Marlin 336's in Cowboy and SLR w/ the Hornady Lever Revolution ammo!!!

CBA

First off, before I am labled a heretic, I have used lever guns, bolt guns, and revolvers (single nd double action) from .243 to .338 and .357 to .500SW. The all did fine when I did fine,

About all I use now is and AR. I have a RRA and will use the .223 with heavy for caliber bullets (65 to 75 gr.) for shots out to about 150 yards and it is wonderful. I change out the upper and I have a 6.8 Rem that handles 300 yars shots. I also have a .243 upper and it covers maybe 50 to 100 yds more. I use the same lower, and dedicated scopes for each upper, and it works for me. Only one trigger pull to learn is a nice feature.

Went deer hunting last fall for the first time...Gunstock built me a Contender Carbine in 7-30 Waters with a Burris scope. ~90 yards....2 shots...2 bucks. :)

Miss Cubbie

I used to hunt with a Spencer, but only killed hogs with it. During our primitive weapons season, I use a trapdoor in .45-70. During regular gun season, I use my Marlin in .45 stoked with leverevolution rounds. The few chances I get to hunt bean fields, I use a Rem 700 in .300WSM

125 Thunderhead attached to a 2216 Easton arrow propelled by a 83# draw PSE Edge Limited, for Whitetails. Remington 700 in 308 for antelope, only because I have not had the time to bow hunt. Although, this year I'm going to take an antelope with my Super Blackhawk if at all possible.

LL'

Except for a few taken with a .54 ML Hawken I built from parts in the late 60s; I have used my Grandfathers 1886 Winchester in 45-70(it has a round barrel marked nitro steel so I would guess it dates from the 1900 to 1915 time frame but a crescent butt-plate) for every Whitetail I have taken since

A real, 138 year old Springfield TrapDoor, 45-70 wif "Holy Black" powder.

Military sights dat was on dat rifle.

I had the opportunity to take my grandfathers Model 92 out of my safe several years ago and I shot a nice whitetail doe with it. The 38/40 caliber in my opinion is a little on the light side for deer so it is back in the safe only to emerge once a season for a little exercise at a sass shoot.

My hunting rifle if I carry a rifle is a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70, loaded with 350 grain soft points. If I’m feeling lazy which is most of the time since I’m not a serious hunter any more I tote a Ruger Black Hawk in 41 mag.

Pennsylvania’s muzzle loading season is for primitive weapons only. Just flintlocks and primitive loads, no inlines or sabot loads allowed. For that I carry a true Pa. long rifle that I built from scratch.

Due to what I hope are temporary physical problems my Howard Hill Tembo longbow and PSE Fireflight compound are on the shelf

HTH

A club and a flint knife.

sprterized 03-A3 Springfield topped off with a Leuopold 3x9, or a Ruger M77 in 300 Win Mag depending on where it is I'm huntin

Yer gonna cut yore eye out with that flint knife, kid.

My wife dosen't allow me to play with sharp things, something about blood on her new carpets.

A group actually tried a couple of years ago to make atlatls legal for deer with a special season for their use, didn't get far thank goodness

Yer gonna cut yore eye out with that flint knife, kid.

It's safer than the obsidian one I used to use. :lol:

http://[/media]My PSE WITH 100 GRAIN BROADHEADS ....IF i DON'T GET ANYTHING i USE MY 1885 HI-WALL IN 38-55 WITH 40. GRAINS OF bp. Took a nice 4x4 Mulie at 183 yards with open sights, hunting on the south end of the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming.

Stevens (not Savage) 110E in .30-'06 using 165gr Federals (if they group as well or better than I can shoot, why reload for it?) or my .45 Colt '94 Trapper loaded up with Corbon's 300gr huntin' loads for close range work.

I had the opportunity to take my grandfathers Model 92 out of my safe several years ago and I shot a nice whitetail doe with it. The 38/40 caliber in my opinion is a little on the light side for deer so it is back in the safe only to emerge once a season for a little exercise at a sass shoot.

My hunting rifle if I carry a rifle is a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70, loaded with 350 grain soft points. If I’m feeling lazy which is most of the time since I’m not a serious hunter any more I tote a Ruger Black Hawk in 41 mag.

Pennsylvania’s muzzle loading season is for primitive weapons only. Just flintlocks and primitive loads, no inlines or sabot loads allowed. For that I carry a true Pa. long rifle that I built from scratch.

Due to what I hope are temporary physical problems my Howard Hill Tembo longbow and PSE Fireflight compound are on the shelf

HTH

HTH, The flintlock ONLY season is usually after Christmas going into January.

In early muzzleloader season (October) you can use inlines or percussions...

54 cal Hawken, roundball and 80 gr of fffg or (no rifle allowed) ancient Remington Model 58

IL requires a published energy at the muzzle of 500 ft/pds or better...leaves out my Colt SAA 44-40 and 38-40, much to my dismay.

I've carried my 357 Python, but no deer with it yet. Next fall I'll have a Contender in 357 Maximum.

Topic says it all. Do you use a sass legal gun or something more modern.

Also what would be a better deer gun marlin or 92? With the stipulation that ya have to use iron sights

Don't go in the woods too much anymore at Deer season; too many guys who've had a six pack and a Slim Jim for breakfast.

When I did go in - I used a .44 Mag '94 or a .45 Colt '92, using heavy loads.

Carried a Ruger Blackhawk in matching caliber.

In the western parts of Washington - a 50 yd shot is a pure fluke, mostly you're lucky to see 20 yds clear.

Eastern Wa. you could justify a real rifle - say a .308.

The '92 can load hot - they chamber it in .454 Casull, so unless the Marlin can match that we know which gun can go heavy . . . .

Shadow Catcher

Archived