SASS Wire Forum

deer hunting

evil dogooder

I've used my Uberti 1866 in .45Colt to take a nice doe.

I also used my Uberti 1885 in .45-70 to take a buck a few years ago.

This was in a bush area around Calabogie in Ontario.

In one of the large open areas I now hunt, I use my scoped Tikka SS in .30-06.

This fall, I hope to try my new .45-70 Rolling Block in the bush area nearby.

Recurve or longbow.... I've never killed a big game animal with a gun. 16 Elk, 8 whitetails, 3 mule deer, 4 moose, 6 turkeys, 3 sheep.... does that count? No bears... since you can't legally carry a gun during bow season the bears and I have a simple agreement: They don't eat me and I don't eat them. :)

You can carry a gun here in my state, come on down where deer are a plaque in the two southern counties.

Used my M-1A, 7.62 on my first deer, (late starter on deer hunting) could have used my .17HMR, might consider it next time.

Give me a call BK if you interested, neat BOW Range stones throw away as well.

I use a 22 mag and shot them in the eye :rolleyes:

You sure you're not from Oklahoma? :rolleyes:

A Rem 700 in 25-06 has been my mainstay for many years but due to varying situations I alternate now with a Marlin 336rc in 35 Rem, a Marlin CB in 45-70, and a newly acquired 722 Rem in 300 Sav. Would like to start using my original RB in 44-77 this year.

Winchester 1895 Carbine in 30-40. Went caribou hunting on Adak while in the Navy with my Shiloh Sharps in 45-70, unfortunately didn't see any.

Back before my knees told me enough of this stuff;I used either a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 or a Remington 700 in 270.Both got the job done nicely,but I favor the 270.

A joke.....! The favored poachers rifle here in OK and I suspect elsewhere is a 22 Mag. Blind em with a spotlight and yep, shoot em in the eye.

I'm hoping to get a few that way or anyway when they open up Kingman and Harper County for bounty hunting. I hope they let us shoot instead of bringing in Goverment shooters to our infected counties...

Horton with 125 gr. 2-blade Rage broadheads in bow season, then switch to the Browning A-Bolt 25.06 when rifle comes in (unless hunting close quarters, in which I stick with the bow. Both have served me well.

For the other question, I would not have a problem at all using my Marlin to take a deer, if it is what I had. Luxuries are nice when available though.

Archived