SASS Wire Forum

Can A GunFighter really compete?

Marshal Max Henry

Im new to the sport and as far as I am concerned there is no other way to have fun than with shootin GF but I notice the traditional guys win overal the overwhelming majority of the time. Has there ever been a GF overall winner? Should I strive for this or is it just not possible?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you choose your category you will find several categories are just slower for many reasons. But remember it was your choice and no one made you choose it. There are some very fast cowboys shooting gunfighter. Look at scores from EOT and WR to see some of them by name. Just watch some video of great guys like Lassiter.

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

If the only way you'll enjoy SASS is as the overall champion of the world, your time with us will be short.

GF can win a match anytime as could even a FCD if conditions, skill, and luck align. The GF certainly seems to have a better shot than any BP shooter.

I'm certainly not going to challenge Easy Rider to a contest. I'm sure he'd beat me easily with my own C&Bs.

Joe

I think it was in 2008 at the Montana State Match a shooter named "Paladin" took first place shooting gunfighter.

I shot very well with either hand and didn't have to take time to change handguns.

Sage Creek Gus

At comin at cha this year, the top four were as follows

Cowboy

Duelist

Frontier Cartridge

Gunfighter

I'd say yes gunfighters can compete, as can the others.

Yep.

Top 4 overall was a good mix. Not sure which was bigger.

Nuttin taking 2nd as a Duelist. Spur 3rd shooting black. And then Possum right there as GFer.

Of course TRO taking the top spot. (which I called by the way) :blush:

A good GFer can be right in the mix. Possum has won overall at many places shooting GFer.

Same with Nuttin as a Duelist.

But if you are going to get to the top in any category. You better plan to really work at it.

If the only way you'll enjoy SASS is as the overall champion of the world, your time with us will be short.

GF can win a match anytime as could even a FCD if conditions, skill, and luck align. The GF certainly seems to have a better shot than any BP shooter.

I'm certainly not going to challenge Easy Rider to a contest. I'm sure he'd beat me easily with my own C&Bs.

Joe

Dont missunderstand me I really do not care about being world Champ I was just curious if it was Possible

Can a Gunfighter really compete?

I believe that two handed supported is slightly faster.

But it is always going to depend on the Gunfighter and who ever else is at the same match.

Local matches are won regularly by Gunfighters...

Overall state championships have been won by Gunfighters...

Now for a Gunfighter to win the big ones (EOT or WR) - it is going to take a superior performance from a superior Gunfighter.

But, if the moon and stars line up correctly and the right shooter is shooting Gunfighter...

Yes - a Gunfighter can really compete.

As a Gunfighter...

I win or place highly at my local matches pretty regularly...

I have won my category state championship a couple of years in a row...

I was the 2nd highest placed Nevada resident at the state championships this year...

I may never win my category at WR or EOT...

But, it never hurts to strive.

I think it was in 2008 at the Montana State Match a shooter named "Paladin" took first place shooting gunfighter.

I shot very well with either hand and didn't have to take time to change handguns.

Sage Creek Gus

Gus.....at the 2008 state shoot Chisler Wood won the overall out of 94 shooters.Fastest Gunfighter was Whiskey Schmidt and he came in 44th overall.The 2009 was again Chisler Wood in 1st ...AGAIN.....fastest Gunfighter was actually a SGF and he came in 19th out of 107 shooters.Paladin won 1st at the 2006 state shoot out of 74 shooters.So yes it is possible for a gunfighter to win a big match.That was the only year he shot with us going back to 2001.

:blush::lol::lol::lol::D

I recollect the KS Championship had GF's at 3rd, 5th, 8th, 9th ??

I was way down the list 'cause I ain't shot or practiced all year. :D

MG

Anyone who thinks gunfighter is a little slower than 2 handed has never seen Possum Skinner or Badlands Ben shoot. I have. Aint NOTHIN slower about either!

I have seen some of the fastest Gunfighters in the world shoot and they are amazing, but ...

When comparing equally skilled shooters - two handed supported is generally faster.

If this was untrue - then the big events would have been won by an unsupported shooter at least one time.

Which is why I said..

If it were ever to happen - it would require a superior performance by a superior Gunfighter.

Equally skilled is not going to do it.

I have seen some of the fastest Gunfighters in the world shoot and they are amazing, but ...

When comparing equally skilled shooters - two handed supported is generally faster.

If this was untrue - then the big events would have been won by an unsupported shooter at least one time.

Which is why I said..

If it were ever to happen - it would require a superior performance by a superior Gunfighter.

Equally skilled is not going to do it.

What this feller said! Also alot has got to do with tha STAGE WRITER, he can jerk tha bit back on a GF faster than you can whistle dixie.

RRR

Im new to the sport and as far as I am concerned there is no other way to have fun than with shootin GF but I notice the traditional guys win overal the overwhelming majority of the time. Has there ever been a GF overall winner? Should I strive for this or is it just not possible?

I have won my state championship twice ( NV overall)

once traditionial once gunfighter

I shoot both ways about the same RAW stage times

I have LESS misses shooting support handed

Hmmm....superior...not me...but I have shot with a few GFers that are (check out Lassiter, Possum Skinner, and Tall Drink of Water) and several more that beat me like a drum. If ya got yer sights on being the best gunfighter, ya got a few years ahead of you to get there. Best of luck!

Overall champ...not me and never gonna happen unless we compete for having fun. I might be in the mix on that one chutin GFer...yup...it does it for me.

Psst: That ole RRR can shoot just about any way he wants to including GFer.

Skill, skill and more skill. Then, talent and then more talent. The field is open for a GF win at EOT and WR. If and when it happens be prepared for LOTS of hollering about "leveling the playing field".

The potential for the GF and the BPGF shooters to win overall exists. It is the highest demand on discipline, talent and skill. But, when it all comes together it'll be unbeatable. I will bow to that shooter.

Work on it fellow GFs. I'll be cheering.

DD-DLoS

Red River Ray hit it on the head (as usual). If the stages don't have split pistols and stages that MUST be shot Duelist, a good Gunfighter might be able to win a big match. The World Record for a 10 shot pistol dump is held by a Gunfighter, but not by much!

Transitions can be a little slower for GF than Traditional and the target distance makes a big difference.

There will be some really good Gunfighters at The Last Stand so you can make your own judgment.

Gus.....at the 2008 state shoot Chisler Wood won the overall out of 94 shooters.Fastest Gunfighter was Whiskey Schmidt and he came in 44th overall.The 2009 was again Chisler Wood in 1st ...AGAIN.....fastest Gunfighter was actually a SGF and he came in 19th out of 107 shooters.Paladin won 1st at the 2006 state shoot out of 74 shooters.So yes it is possible for a gunfighter to win a big match.That was the only year he shot with us going back to 2001.

Boy, time flies when you're having fun!

I didn't realize it was that long ago.

Thanks for getting the date right. Paladin shot on my posse and he was a lot of fun to watch.

SCG

It would take world class spotters on the posse for a GF to take a national/world title. All you spotters start sharpening up your eyeballs, ok?

Good luck, GJ

It would take world class spotters on the posse for a GF to take a national/world title. All you spotters start sharpening up your eyeballs, ok?

Good luck, GJ

...... sharpening as we speak .....

Yes, a gunfighter can win, especially, on the local level. One of our best shooters shoots GF and he is in the top 1 or 2 each month. Then you have someone like Nuttn Gracefull who can win shooting duelist.

Then you have me, shooter duelist way way down and having a lot of fun. Just remember, I get to shoot 2 or 3 times as long as they do.

Shenny

It is WAY more about the shooter than the shooting style.

The best (and worst) gunfighters could shoot slightly faster in most situations using two hands on one gun. It might affect their overall placement in a match…slightly.

If you want to shoot gunfighter, then do it. I knew at my first match that I would end up doing so. My recommendation would be to start out shooting two-handed until you learned the ropes of the game and then transition into gunfighter.

Can a gunfighter really compete? A good gunfighter can.

Edit: I almost forgot, look under my SASS# to the left.

Guest Texas Jack Black

Decide if you want to compete within a category or if you want to be the Top Overall winner. I find category wins more competitive as you are shooting against your peers. In Top Overall you could be shooting against silver seniors men or woman, some shooters well into their seventies ,cap and ball shooters or even young kids.

T J B

Sure..........just don't shoot yer eye out.......

Can a gunfighter compete? Yes. Of course. If the gunfighter is a superior shooter and performs better than the other shooters at the match, yes a gunfighter can compete.

The difference is that the gunfighter will probably have to have a wider margin of superiority in terms of skill over his competitors than he might if shooting two-handed. Shooting gunfighter is more fun, and perhaps in order to keep the universe in balance, requires much more skill to compete on the same level as a shooter using two hands on one gun. Getting a steady sight picture not only with only one hand on the gun, not only using both your strong and weak hand, but also using both hands to shoot unsupported without being able to anchor the off-hand requires much more practice, patience, and skill. Thus a gunfighter would have to be comparatively more skilled to compete with a two-handed shooter.

Also, the stage writer will have a much larger influence on the gunfighter's ability to compete than he would between two-handed shooters. A stage with lots of running or small targets won't necessarily change the margin between two-handed shooters of equal skill, but would change the margin between those who can run well or shoot accurately. A match with many stages where the pistols are not back to back will increase the margin between a gunfighter and a two-handed shooter of similar skill levels.

(edited for clarification)

Shoot OUTLAW Style !!!!!!!! Then it don't matter..... Tell them that you refuse to take the penalty because your an Outlaw.... Now.... they are gonna write down your score with the penalty-- but who cares ---YOU had more fun than they did...... more folks are gonna stop to watch ya shoot and video tape Ya.... Go to Tn. Tombstones website he's got some good ideas and videos.... Sorry did not mean to Hijack the Gunfighters post BUT an OUTLAW shoots gunfighter style without using the sights... It's just fun..

I can compete anyware!!! :P Why, I've dunt beat mysef several times! :unsure: :

Cheyenne, who shoots his pistolas the coolest way thar iz, tho outlaw GF may be coolur, Culpepper :rolleyes:

Shoot OUTLAW Style !!!!!!!! Then it don't matter..... Tell them that you refuse to take the penalty because your an Outlaw.... Now.... they are gonna write down your score with the penalty-- but who cares ---YOU had more fun than they did...... more folks are gonna stop to watch ya shoot and video tape Ya.... Go to Tn. Tombstones website he's got some good ideas and videos.... Sorry did not mean to Hijack the Gunfighters post BUT an OUTLAW shoots gunfighter style without using the sights... It's just fun..

I get enough misses even when I am using my sights. :P

I do not see any way that not using them is going to help.

I would not say No as much as we have not seen it yet. It seems to be the fastest growing catagory and the tallent is amazing.

I saw a fellow Outlaw/Gunfighter run a 10+ second stage this weekend, the next fastest time was a 15+. Goes to show that if the Gunfighter is not handicaped by the stage we may see GF as the overall champ. Not me of course but there are a few out there that have the tallent.

I agree with T-Bone though, Gunfighter gets style points but to do it Outlaw add them faster

[quote name='Kid Ziggy SASS 76870' date='Nov 29 2010, 07:03 PM' post='2058784'

Psst: That ole RRR can shoot just about any way he wants to including GFer.

You're right about that Ziggy. Ray won the NC State Black Powder Championship last April shooting gunfighter.

FV

:P

What this feller said! Also alot has got to do with tha STAGE WRITER, he can jerk tha bit back on a GF faster than you can whistle dixie.

RRR

i definately agree. look at comin at cha, a very gunfighter friendly match (all ten stages to be exact) and when that takes place, a top shooter as a gunfighter, such as possum skinner has every chance to win it all. granted shooters like tator and tro are always going to be overly faster than even the best gunfighter (like tall drink a. water) but if tall drink or possum or some one of that caliber shoots an outstanding match, that is ten solid gunfighter friendly stages, and the top boys slip up. then yes a gunfighter can win it all.

btw.... t-bone dooley won two matches this past weekend shooting outlaw. shot the world famous mose spencer turkey shoot clean, while shooting outlaw gunfighter including shooting his shotgun from the hip and over his head. it was a thrill to watch.

p.s. gunfighter on some stages can be the fastest possible way to shoot a stage if done correctly, yet the disadvantage of having to shoot double duelist on split pistols is a killer. so yet another reason why b-western is the fastest most productive and shooter friendly class in our sport. shoot traditonal most of the time, but on a great gunfighter stage where u get to end with your pistols on something like a double tap sweep. jerk both them bad boys and go to work. YAY FOR B-WESTERN!!!!!!!!

MJ (A PROUD B-WESTERN SHOOTER) SPENCER

Archived