SASS Wire Forum

FedEx theft?

sarcasmn

I purchased a new Marlin.  Sent it to Longhunter to be slicked up.  He finished what I am sure was great work and then mailed it back via fedex with a signature required.  The package was delayed in route and due today.  I just checked the tracking number and it states the package was delivered and signed for  

I have been home all day and no package was delivered.  Anyone have any experience with this?  What is my recourse?   I called fedex and the are starting an investigation immediately.  

• Sad 2

I would contact FEDEX that you did not receive your package and that it is a firearm.  Also inform FEDEX that you will be notifying your police depart and ATF of the incident.  They will eventually expedite their (FEDEX) investigation as to what happened, who delivered it and who is the driver.  There is a possible chance that the firearm will be found and returned to you.  The possible excuse by FEDEX is that they found the rifle and that it was not in the truck and the driver thought that for whatever safety reason that he (driver) thought to keep it for safety reason and that he could not just leave it at the front door so no one can steal it.  (Of course, that's a lot or malarky).  Good luck I hope you get it back.

Of course, informing FEDEX that law enforcement will be notified and involve scares the heck out of their staff.  IMO.  

Edited by I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321
  • Like 1

I've had that happen with Ebay and Amazon packages.  For some reason, they show they are delivered but don't show up till the next day.  Don't get too excited yet.  Give it 48 hours. 

Then panic.  

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, sarcasmn said:

I purchased a new Marlin.  Sent it to Longhunter to be slicked up.  He finished what I am sure was great work and then mailed it back via fedex with a signature required.  The package was delayed in route and due today.  I just checked the tracking number and it states the package was delivered and signed for  

I have been home all day and no package was delivered.  Anyone have any experience with this?  What is my recourse?   I called fedex and the are starting an investigation immediately.  

Fedex seems to have lost their minds lately. I sent a shotgun to Ken Griner for tuning. So for some reason it went from TX to NM via PA and IL. Not really sure how they figured that route out but it took over 2 weeks to get it to him.

TM

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

I would contact FEDEX that you did not receive your package and that it is a firearm.  Also inform FEDEX that you will be notifying your police depart and ATF of the incident.  They will eventually expedite their (FEDEX) investigation as to what happened, who delivered it and who is the driver.  There is a possible chance that the firearm will be found and returned to you.  The possible excuse by FEDEX is that they found the rifle and that it was not in the truck and the driver thought that for whatever safety reason that he (driver) thought to keep it for safety reason and that he could not just leave it at the front door so no one can steal it.  (Of course, that's a lot or malarky).  Good luck I hope you get it back.

Of course, informing FEDEX that law enforcement will be notified and involve scares the heck out of their staff.  IMO.  

This ^^^^

• Like 1

Make sure it wasn't delivered and signed for by the driver. It happened to me. I now have the driver's phone number and will make arrangements with him when I won't be home.

• Like 1

My experience with FedX plane sucks. My gunsmith down in NC called me and asked me how I wanted my pistols shipped back to me in PA. I told him I don't care who you use but overnite them because I need them for EOT that was in three days. So thats what he did. My wife called me at lunch time and told me that they had arrived, so I left work early to get home and shoot my pistols some before we left for EOT. Open up the box, pull out the hard pistol case, open it up and XXX! only 0ne ruger in the case. Some GDSOB from FedX open the box pulled out the case and stole one of my $1200 rugers. I have called my gunsmith 1st, the FedX shipping department in NC, called the ATF and trust me I made MANY phone calls. That was 3 yrs ago and I haven't heard a thing from FedX. I would never use them for anything, just sayn.

Cheers

JB Sledge

• Sad 4

So luckily I was not robbed.  I have a 900 foot long gravel driveway through the woods to my house.    There is a circular turnaround at my house plenty big enough for any box truck to use. 

The driver evidently did not want to come up to the house so he faked the signature and left the box next to my driveway down at the road.  

fedex does this all the time.  UPS, Amazon and the postal service have no problem coming to the house but fedex thinks it’s ok to leave packages on or near the driveway near the road. 

we have had dog food from Chewy left by the road overnight as we did not know it was delivered and critters chewed into the box and bag and ate some of the dog food.  I had a case of shotgun shells, unfortunately in a box marked Remington Ammunition disappear after it was supposedly delivered and left by the road.  The fedex driver consistently leaves our packages down by the road. Only FedEx does this.  

luckily the rifle was still down at the end of the driveway when I went down there.  The rifle is one of the new Ruger made Marlin 1894’s.  It was really nice when I got it. The action work done by Longhunter is amazing. Smooth as silk.  I would happily recommend his shop to anyone. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sarcasmn said:

So luckily I was not robbed.  I have a 900 foot long gravel driveway through the woods to my house.    There is a circular turnaround at my house plenty big enough for any box truck to use. 

The driver evidently did not want to come up to the house so he faked the signature and left the box next to my driveway down at the road.  

fedex does this all the time.  UPS, Amazon and the postal service have no problem coming to the house but fedex thinks it’s ok to leave packages on or near the driveway near the road. 

we have had dog food from Chewy left by the road overnight as we did not know it was delivered and critters chewed into the box and bag and ate some of the dog food.  I had a case of shotgun shells, unfortunately in a box marked Remington Ammunition disappear after it was supposedly delivered and left by the road.  The fedex driver consistently leaves our packages down by the road. Only FedEx does this.  

luckily the rifle was still down at the end of the driveway when I went down there.  The rifle is one of the new Ruger made Marlin 1894’s.  It was really nice when I got it. The action work done by Longhunter is amazing. Smooth as silk.  I would happily recommend his shop to anyone. 

Had it happen with FedEx a bunch of years ago.  I think the driver was let go after my complaints.  My driveway is good and a little more than a third of a mile, it has been all good for more than a decade.  Some neighbors with longer, not so good driveways have big chests chained to a post.  Not the best thing, but better than nothing.

Edited by Rip Snorter
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, sarcasmn said:

You need to call the local FedEx and get the driver's and manager's phone numbers. I called the local folks and read them the riot act after leaving a gun at our community job box five miles from my house after I had sat at home all day waiting for it. If I am not going to be home and I have a signature-required shipment, I call the driver and tell him where to leave the box and to sign for me. The manager also knows this for when my driver is on vacation.

We have a great FedEx driver! He always braves our driveway and leaves treats for the Rottweiler!!

• Like 1

I was in Norfolk, Virginia a year or two ago eating lunch after touring the USS Wisconsin. My Daddy served on her. Anyway, get a text from FedEx that 120# of smokeless powder had been delivered and signed for by E. Tipton (me). I live smack in the middle of the city less than a block from the Courthouse and I’m several hours away - there’s two huge packages labeled EXPLOSIVE/HAZARDOUS on my stoop. I was furious. Called ShootersWorld, they RAISED all kinds of hell with FedEx. Powder was there when I got home.                      

During Covid, drivers were allowed to sign.

If it says signature required, it better be MY signature. If driver has permission to sign and something happens to package? No recourse. 

FWIW, I get to know my drivers, thank them, compliment them to their supervisors, and tip them generously at Christmas. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 3

FedEx is the absolute worst shipping out there. I never use them and always dread it when something has been shipped to me FedEx. There is no accountability for their actions.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sarcasmn said:

I completely agree with everyone that FedEx sucks and the driver (or anyone else that's not approved) should NEVER sign for a package.

However...

I do have to wonder why, knowing that they leave packages at the end of your driveway, didn't you just check the end of the driveway before assuming that the rifle was stolen? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I completely agree with everyone that FedEx sucks and the driver (or anyone else that's not approved) should NEVER sign for a package.

It ain’t just FedEx!!

Ive had packages from them, UPS, and USPS all left at the door, but not a single one even bothered to KNOCK!!

• Like 1

Just now, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

It ain’t just FedEx!!

Ive had packages from them, UPS, and USPS all left at the door, but not a single one even bothered to KNOCK!!

I don't like any of them with UPS being on the top of my list by far, followed by FedEx and then USPS.

• Like 1

We have shipped with UPS, USPS and FedEx over the last 25 years. I've determined it completely depends on the local distribution center or individual driver at your location. For now, we have less overall trouble with FedEx here. But that doesn't mean it's best in your area. When we ship, we have no idea what's good at your location. All I know, is they can all be bad, good or great. In a lot of cases, individual responsibility isn't something people take seriously these days. Some individuals just don't give a rip....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good drivers (UPS / FedEx)in a rural area are make or break.  When they deliver and there are fresh brownies or cookies they get some.  The best get a prepaid store credit card at Christmas.  We have been more lucky than not down a good many years.  We have a great little post office and Post Mistress, but the service as a whole has declined.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Actually I did check the end of my driveway.  I just did not walk all the way down to the end of my driveway and look across the street to see if the box was laying on the ground next to my mailbox. 

plus I never thought the driver would ignore the signature required or in this case sign for it himself.  

Edited by sarcasmn
Add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know about any of the other carriers, but FedEx contract a lot of their routes under FedEx name.

My last boss almost bought 5 truck routes from FedEx.

Read the side of those delivery vans most are going to have a contractors name on it. It's like buying into a franchise