SASS Wire Forum

How to tell a boar from a sow?

Alpo

IN THE BOOK

They are hunting in Germany, and the jagermeister reminds them that only mature boar can be taken.

Mature should not really be a problem. Big.

But how do you tell a boar from a sow? You know, when they're running through the woods.

With deer, you can tell a buck from a doe by the antlers. And you can tell most game birds - cocks from hens - by the coloring.

But is there an easy way to sex a pig at a distance?

Just now, Alpo said:

But is there an easy way to sex a pig at a distance?

Kinky!

• Haha 1

The front shoulders & head of boars are a lot bigger than sows.  If you see them in a bunch there will be no doubt which is a "mature boar".

ETA:  Think of it like this... in a herd of polled Herefords or Blank Angus cattle you can tell which one is the bull.

Edited by Stump Water
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

The front shoulders & head of boars are a lot bigger than sows.  If you see them in a bunch there will be no doubt which is a "mature boar".

ETA:  Think of it like this... in a herd of polled Herefords or Blank Angus cattle you can tell which one is the bull.

He is on top....

Texas Lizard

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Choctaw Jack said:

....And if they're running away from you, there are a couple of distinct clues!

Is that what they call "them" in New Mexico?:lol: 

• Haha 2

Maybe if they are running uphill in the desert.

As a general rule, my eyes are much higher off the ground then a pig's dingleballs. So if I'm watching him run away, I would be seeing the top of his butt. And if there's any type of underbrush ...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

If it’s a sow, according to the fellow in Deliverance, you have to tell

it to “squeal louda “

The hick in Deliverance couldn't tell the difference between a Beatty and a sow no matter how loud either squealed.

9 hours ago, Tooky Slim said:

Is that what they call "them" in New Mexico?:lol: 

Well, family friendly forum, don'tcha know!

We call them lots of things in New Mexico, but that's a subject for another discussion!

• Like 1

Reminds me of something I saw recently regarding how to tell an alligator from a crocodile. It’s based on when you see them. Either later, or after a while. 

Seamus

• Haha 2

yup , turn them upside down after you shoot them , but in general boars have tusks for fighting as deer have antlers for that reason , ..............ive always wondered about rabbits ? or are they just so promiscuous that none of them care ? 

21 hours ago, watab kid said:

yup , turn them upside down after you shoot them , but in general boars have tusks for fighting as deer have antlers for that reason , ..............ive always wondered about rabbits ? or are they just so promiscuous that none of them care ? 

You never saw a Jackalope? :lol:

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

You never saw a Jackalope? :lol:

oh yes , there was a number of mounts ive seen over the years since back in the 50s , ive not had the opportunity to bag one yet but then i dont hunt rabbits anymore , i will tho when the grocery runs out of beef ......or it gets too expensive , then the rabbits and quills in the lawn are in trouble , or i should say in the pan ........................