SASS Wire Forum

Are landing craft "boats"?

Alpo

The Navy mostly has ships. PT boats are boats. Submarines are boats. Are landing craft boats? I think they are but don't know.

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Any craft that can be transported on or in a ship is a boat. Landing craft were deployed from a ship, so yes.

Sometimes we used to p!ss off the Old Chiefs by referring the ship we were on as a boat. 

What he said ^^^^

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

The Navy mostly has ships. PT boats are boats. Submarines are boats. Are landing craft boats? I think they are but don't know.

YES

OK , a boat can fit in a ship ,  ill buy that , but still begs the question in the end , im an inland water guy and i use boat but i know im wrong in some cases by the words of my deceased FIL who was a submariner and knew his boats and ships larger than my boat 

4 hours ago, watab kid said:

OK , a boat can fit in a ship ,  ill buy that , but still begs the question in the end , im an inland water guy and i use boat but i know im wrong in some cases by the words of my deceased FIL who was a submariner and knew his boats and ships larger than my boat 

Originally submarines were smaller, conducted shallow-water/littoral ops, and were only manned when underway (e.g., Bushnell's Turtle, CSS Hunley, et al.)-- hence, they were called boats. Even after submarines became deep-water, permanently manned ships, the term 'boats' stuck.

ETA: The U.S. Navy. Sometimes it's centuries of tradition unimpaired by progress.

Edited by Ozark Huckleberry

Subs were also transported on ships when they were very small.

Kind of funny this post reminds me of a time when we traded in our 36ft Bayliner in for a 48ft Carver.  In initial encounter with the salesman we told him we were interested in a boat that would handle our interest in island hoping, Bahama's, Jamaica, Bermuda, etc. He faced us both and said they don't sell boats, they sell Yatchs but would take our boat in for a trade.

• Haha 2

Back in the old days, when Rye sailed with the Vikings, this was used.

Technically speaking, a boat becomes classified as a ship when the LOA (Length Over All) is equal or greater than 60 meters (197 feet). An adage we always had was; “you can put a boat on a ship, but never a ship on a boat”.

If I remember correctly, boats are less than 120 ft long and ships greater than 120. 

A second item is that ships roll outboard when making a turn. A boat leans to the inside. 

Those are from the cobwebs of my mind. Retired 30 years and counting. 

BS

14 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Originally submarines were smaller, conducted shallow-water/littoral ops, and were only manned when underway (e.g., Bushnell's Turtle, CSS Hunley, et al.)-- hence, they were called boats. Even after submarines became deep-water, permanently manned ships, the term 'boats' stuck.

ETA: The U.S. Navy. Sometimes it's centuries of tradition unimpaired by progress.

yes , my FIL explained some of that as well , he was a lifer , first crew of the nautilus 

Subs, especially SSBN "Boomers" and current attack subs are ships. But, they are referred to by their crews as "boats".  The senior petty officer on a sub is referred to as "Chief of the boat."  I think even the WWII fleet subs were ships, but referred to by submariners as "the boat".

• Like 1