SASS Wire Forum

Form Square!

https://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/52008733740/riot-control-this-unusual-photograph-shows-us

Riot Control This unusual photograph shows US troops demonstrating a company strength hollow square formation to be used to combat unrest in urban areas. The infantry square had long been a defensive formation for infantry under attack from cavalry,...

The men in the photograph are members of the 11th Coastal Artillery Corps, they’ve deployed in a New York Street to meet an attacking force, on one side of the square they have arrayed 4 Lewis Gun teams while the rest of the square remains 2 ranks deep.  These machine gun teams would be able to concentrate their fire on any attackers being funneled towards them by the narrow street.   Supported by rifle fire the machine gunners would be able to quickly fall back into the square if the rioters/enemy got too close.

Note the second rank of the square’s flanks, they’re facing inwards covering the windows of the tenements either side of the square.  Here their overlapping fire would be able to engage any enfilading fire from the buildings windows if the troops were ambushed.  Inside the square officers and NCOs direct fire and regulate the square’s movement as while the square is a defensive formation it is one which can be maneuvered especially if the troops forming it are disciplined.    

The above taken from an article about the Infantry Square.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

About 1900?

This photograph is an interesting footnote to the history of the infantry square, it shows US troops demonstrating a company strength hollow square formation to be used to combat unrest in urban areas, c.1918.

From the article:

”Unrest in American cities was not a rare occurrence, race riots and industrial strikes were frequent.  Just a year after this photograph was taken the Seattle General Strike would see some 65,000 workers march for better pay while the decline in race relations caused by the migration of black Americans from the South to work in the factories of the North saw resentment grow when demobilised troops returned home to find their jobs taken by Black workers.  

This discontent led to the ’Red Summer’ in which major riots and race attacks occurred in a dozen American cities.  In July 1919 the Chicago Race Riot saw the 11th Illinois Infantry Regt. and its machine gun company deployed to keep the peace when vicious attacks and fighting broke out between Whites & African-Americans, 38 people were killed during the rioting.  With the police heavily outnumbered during these riots and strikes it was expected that the military might have to step in.  And as such tactics and training to combat massed violent riots in America’s cities began.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That whole article must be a lie. Everyone knows that American troops will not fire on Americans. You hear that all the time. When the orders come down to do THIS to the civilian population and do THAT to the stadium population, and if the civilian population does not let you do it, shoot them - everybody knows that the American troops will refuse to shoot.

Everybody knows that. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Alpo said:

That whole article must be a lie. Everyone knows that American troops will not fire on Americans. You hear that all the time. When the orders come down to do THIS to the civilian population and do THAT to the stadium population, and if the civilian population does not let you do it, shoot them - everybody knows that the American troops will refuse to shoot.

Hmm . . .

Police today -- National Guard tomorrow? 

States Push Bills to Allow Illegal Aliens to Become Police Officers

Edited by Ozark Huckleberry
  • Like 1

Wonder if Antifa and BLM have anything to worry about come November and their tantrums start?

• Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 1:08 PM, Alpo said:

Bet the Kent State students decades ago thought so too! I don't think our military would even hesitate to mow us down if ordered. It would be self preservation. :unsure: I know you were speaking tongue in cheek!:rolleyes:

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Typo

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Bet the Penn State students decades ago thought so too! I don't think our military would even hesitate to mow us down if ordered. It would be self preservation. :unsure: I know you were speaking tongue in cheek!:rolleyes:

Kent State?

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Kent State?

I knew Penn State didn't quite sound like the right place, but it sounded close. And I was too lazy to look it up. I'm glad somebody did though.

15 hours ago, Alpo said:

I knew Penn State didn't quite sound like the right place, but it sounded close. And I was too lazy to look it up. I'm glad somebody did though.

Didn't have to look it up, I remembered the student dead in the street with the bullet hole in his head (who didn't have anything to do with the riot) and the girl kneeling down next to him. I'll never forget the look on her face. His name was Jeff and her name was Mary...I think. And I remember the song.

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 1

It seems to me that a circle would do better than a square. If someone is killed in a circle, you just close ranks and the circle gets a little tighter. But if someone is killed in a square, and you close ranks, your square starts to become a trapezoid.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

It seems to me that a circle would do better than a square. If someone is killed in a circle, you just close ranks and the circle gets a little tighter. But if someone is killed in a square, and you close ranks, your square starts to become a trapezoid.

Look up history and tactics.  Have you ever watched the Wizard of Oz?  Character resonance.

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

A circle doesn't present a solid front,  but a single point to attack.   You want that wall of bayonets to break up a cavalry charge.   

It's also easier to form and control a square than a circle.  You always know your place in a square,  how far from the next guy,  which way to face no matter the size.  Other than "out" you don't know just how to face in a circle,  and how you face changes with the size.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 12:08 PM, Alpo said:

Yep it would never happen

NOT

WWI Veterans marched on Washington for promised payment in 1932

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

If you're ever up this way, visit and tour Old Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario.

During the summer months, the Fort Henry Guard demonstrates the Square, Platoon Fire and other maneuvers of the time, using single shot Martini rifles, bayonet drill and muzzle loading cannon fire from the great guns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a show about Napoleon’s campaign in Egypt. Nappy’s 10,000 faced the Mamluk’s 30,000. He formed five squares and defeated the Turks. Casualties were 10000 to about 300.  The divisional squares were termed an innovation.  Battle of the pyramids.

• Thanks 2

may need this soon on a campus near you , it seems the paid and professional instigators/protestors have returned to our schools of higher education , i hated them in the VN era and i hate them more now - back then they were giving aid and comfort to our enemies today the support terrorism , time for deportation to the place of their choice or Guantanamo , time to break the terrorists - eliminate them where they stand ,  we have no need of them in this world 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1