SASS Wire Forum

Titewad for cowboy 12 ga.?

Howdy Fellers,

Since we all are still having to make do with powders that we can find, I was wondering if any of our cowpokes are using Hodgdon's Titewad for their 12 ga. loads? Specifically in Rem.STS or Win. AA hulls? If you're willing to get really finite, what MEC powder bushing are you using for 7/8th loads?

Rev. Chase

Low recoil Titewad loads. 

Winchester AA or STS hulls 

Winchester WAA12L or Claybuster 7/8 oz gray wad 

7/8 oz of shot 

14.2 gr of Hodgdon Titewad powder 

Use #20 Mec bushing

#209 Shotshell primer of choice 

Edited by Sandhills Slim, SASS #22998
  • Like 1

Hey Rev,

HMmmm,  “your mileage may vary” so weigh yer loads carefully. Note that TITEWad is really fine, so you may experience some “snowing” 

Here’s what I have in my log book and all pattered about the same out of my Stoeger at 30’

Win AA HS hull, Cheddite 209’s in claybuster CBO178-12 wads.

mec Sizemaster press

Hogdon TITEWad powder using new MEC branded bushings and bars purchased in the last year.

#21 12.8gr

#22 13.6gr

#23 14.3-4gr

#24 14.8gr

#25 15.2gr

weighed on an FA platinum series digital scale.

for 7/8oz I like 14.3gr and For 1 1/8oz I load 15.2gr. Just ‘cause the recoil doesn’t bother me and I want to make sure everything goes down range.

Edited by Tall John

Howdy Fellas,

That's real helpful. I think it gets me close to where I need to be.

Hey OLG, don't have any Unique, In fact, all I have is American Select (for .45 Colt & .38), dwindling Clays (Shotshell) and 4198 (45/70 & 30/30 plus others. Never used Unique, but I know that it's popular.

Rev. Chase

• Like 1

I've been using Titewad ever since I discovered that it was a whole lot less expensive than the Clays and 700-x I was using for shotgun loads. I don't remember the bushing size, but I'm loading 13 grains of Titewad in AA hulls using Claybuster 7/8 ounce gray wads and whatever 209 primers I have on hand. Relatively light recoil in my hammer double and never fails to tip the knockdowns over unless I have a brain fart and forget what that shiny round thing on the end of the shotgun barrels is for... :D

• Like 1

I ran out of Clays and found a 4 lb jug of Titewad. I load 12 ga AA or STS with about 14 gr, CB0175 wad and 3/4oz of shot. Works great and light recoil. Sorry, but I’m not close to the reloading bench and don’t have the exact formula, but as you can see I’m in the ballpark with the rest.

Sam Sackett 

8 hours ago, Assassin said:

I've used Titewad for years it's a good powder. Much cheaper than many other powders.

Tite Group has gone through the roof! I was selling it 6 months ago for less than what it COSTS me now! Tite Wad is SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive that Tite Group and others. Midway had it in stock on Friday. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've used Titewad for years as well and it works great.  I load light recoiling 3/4 oz loads in Win AA hulls with 209 primers and Claybuster CB0175-12 pink wads.  I love shooting the shells and so does 110-lb Bullion Rose and they are more than adequate for every KD we've shot at.  I'll check the MEC bushing in my 9000GN tomorrow for you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

I've used Titewad for years as well and it works great.  I load light recoiling 3/4 oz loads in Win AA hulls with 209 primers and Claybuster CB0175-12 pink wads.  I love shooting the shells and so does 110-lb Bullion Rose and they are more than adequate for every KD we've shot at.  I'll check the MEC bushing in my 9000GN tomorrow for you.

Weigh it if you have a chance,please. Might work for Ellie.

OK, for my light cowboy action loads, I am using charge bar 502-34 in my 9000GN press to drop 3/4 oz of #8 lead shot, with powder bushing #20 which drops about 14.4 gr of Titewad under Claybuster CB0175-12 pink wads.  I use Federal 209A primers, not 209 as previously mentioned, though I doubt that matters at all.  Great cowboy action shell.

Edited by Nostrum Damus SASS #110702
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I too am changing to Titewad for shotgun to save my remaining Clays for 38.   Is Titewad very temperature sensitive with the lower loads?   I had issues in the past with Clays in light loads in the cold weather

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Groundhog, 107692 said:

I too am changing to Titewad for shotgun to save my remaining Clays for 38.   Is Titewad very temperature sensitive with the lower loads?   I had issues in the past with Clays in light loads in the cold weather

I've never had any problem at any outdoor temperature I'm willing to go shooting in.

• Thanks 1

American Select is a great shotgun powder. I haven't bought it in years, but mention it since you said you had it. Try 13.4 gr. with 7/8 shot. I had another press at the time so I can't give you the bushing number. Remington hulls, Claybuster 7/8 wads, and any primer.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 9:16 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I've been using Titewad ever since I discovered that it was a whole lot less expensive than the Clays and 700-x I was using for shotgun loads. I don't remember the bushing size, but I'm loading 13 grains of Titewad in AA hulls using Claybuster 7/8 ounce gray wads and whatever 209 primers I have on hand. Relatively light recoil in my hammer double and never fails to tip the knockdowns over unless I have a brain fart and forget what that shiny round thing on the end of the shotgun barrels is for... :D

Are you using a filler to raise the stack so you get a good crimp.

Yeah well, NONE OF THE ABOVE.  Simple solution.  APP.  APP is a real simple solution.  Readily available with no concern for Nitrocellulose.  Easier clean-up than that heathen stuff.  Wunderfuller you betcha!!

9 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Are you using a filler to raise the stack so you get a good crimp.

I’m not using Titewad but I’m using Perfect Pattern with 11 gr. I’ve used the next smaller bushing to get a good crimp. 1oz bushing for 11/8oz load, 7/8oz bushing for 1oz load and 3/4oz bushing for 7/8oz load. Having really good results and get over 5000 shells with an 8lb jug.

Randy

SO:  Not that I'm much interested in the Fad Heathen Smokeless stuff.  Anybody loading TightWad in pistol Suppositories??  I usta load C45S with TightGroup but haven't bought/used any in a real long time.  Just curious if TightWad is a suitable substitute (Quote SEARS Xmas deliveries)???

56 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I’m not using Titewad but I’m using Perfect Pattern with 11 gr. I’ve used the next smaller bushing to get a good crimp. 1oz bushing for 11/8oz load, 7/8oz bushing for 1oz load and 3/4oz bushing for 7/8oz load. Having really good results and get over 5000 shells with an 8lb jug.

Randy

You lost me. With small powder charge my stack is short and the crimp is concave. I’d need a filler to make it tall enough to get a good crimp. Is there a longer wad than the gray claybuster?

2 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

You lost me. With small powder charge my stack is short and the crimp is concave. I’d need a filler to make it tall enough to get a good crimp. Is there a longer wad than the gray claybuster?

Yes in place of the Claybuster grey 7/8 wad I use the Claybuster pink 3/4 wad. By putting 7/8oz shot in a 3/4oz wad you get the equivalent of adding a filler or over shot card in a 7/8 wad.

Randy

2 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Here's the 3/4 wad.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Claybuster-CB017512-12ga-3_4oz-wad-bag_500/productinfo/030CB107512/

Randy

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Thanks Randy,

Looks like I’ll be ordering some wads. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Thanks Randy,

Looks like I’ll be ordering some wads. 

I use about 14.5 gr of titewad with 3/4oz shot using the pink 3/4 once wads. my crimps are fine. i can pick you up some wads and bring them to the next match if you want. i need to pick some more up anyway. 

23 minutes ago, The Surgeon said:

I use about 14.5 gr of titewad with 3/4oz shot using the pink 3/4 once wads. my crimps are fine. i can pick you up some wads and bring them to the next match if you want. i need to pick some more up anyway. 

You’re reading my mind. I was going to text you this morning. That would be great. Can you also see if they have Promo or Red Dot & prices?

43 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

You’re reading my mind. I was going to text you this morning. That would be great. Can you also see if they have Promo or Red Dot & prices?

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00137150603/alliant-red-dot-smokeless-shotshell-powder-8-lb

1 hour ago, Mister Badly said:

And right now they have free hazmat or free shipping, your choice. Midway also has free hazmat now but they are $10 higher on 8lb of Red Dot.

Randy

• Like 1