SASS Wire Forum

Anyone else think John Wick movies are pure fantastical bull stuff?

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Just funnin’ with ya Pat. I don’t care for those movies either.

Another action movie series I think is ridiculous is “The Expendables”.  

I kind of figured. :lol:

Yeah, The Expendables is special :rolleyes:

I did get to shoot an “Expendables” .45 Colt once. That was fun. Fairly useless but fun. I wouldn’t buy one. It wasn’t a thousand bucks “fun”.
https://www.impactguns.com/Revolvers/Uberti-Sylvester-Stallone-Limited-Edition-45-Colt-3-5-Barrel-037084999890-345492/

Uberti Sylvester Stallone The Expendables Limited Edition 45 Colt, 3.5" Barrel, Tuned for Action

Uberti Sylvester Stallone The Expendables Limited Edition 45 Colt, 3.5" Barrel, Tuned for Action

17 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

CSPAN?  Whzthat?

It's actually  a non partisan channel that has senate and congressional hearings and anything related to government.

I think he may have meant CNN

https://www.c-span.org/networks/

29 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's actually  a non partisan channel that has senate and congressional hearings and anything related to government.

I think he may have meant CNN

https://www.c-span.org/networks/

Ahhh, consider me to be a hermit, I don’t watch alleged news.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ahhh, consider me to be a hermit, I don’t watch alleged news.

Samey-same for me. 

Can't hardly watch them after the first one.

#1 was over the top and kind of ridicules. Got worse with each one.

#4 I didn't even make it all the way through.    

• Like 1

Most of these shoot'em up movies aren't reality.
I tend to lean more toward historical themed movies.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

It just dawned on me that John Wick movies are the stuff of Comic Books. Think about it. Many movies today are derived from the comic books that many of us read as kids. If John Wick had been a comic book then I could see the entertainment value of it, but John Wick was not a comic book character. 
Even though this character wasn’t a comic book these movies come across as the type of thing of the comic book era. 
Many adult males in today’s society are teenagers, mentally. I see men walking around wearing comic book hero tee shirts. Driving cars with comic book hero decals or decals relating to comic books. Home decor with comic book hero themes. Etcetera, etcetera, etc.

I think this is ONE of the reasons these movies are popular.

They’re basically Comic Book material without ever having been a comic book. 

Please note that I did not say anything about the star of these movies or his off screen abilities and past times. My comment here is not about the Star. 

EDIT:

Well Holy Coincidence Batman!

It turns out that John Wick WAS a Comic Book. This explains a lot! 
I guess I should have done a search before writing this post. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wick_(comics)

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Kit. 

Now that I know John Wick is a comic book things about the movies make a little more…I won’t say “sense”. Perhaps “clarity”. A little more clarity. 

Will I watch them? Probably not. 

We finally got a 4K big tv so we are enjoying all our favorite movies in 4K.  I have been collecting them over the last two years as they go on firesale.

A movie has to be beyond awful for me to pass it by.  Woke movies fit this description.  And movies choked full of homosexual crap.  This includes nearly everything coming out today.

The 4K Casablanca, Some Like It Hot, etc are first class transfers.

Edited by bgavin

On 3/31/2024 at 4:16 PM, Pat Riot said:

I watched John Wick 1 and was mildly amused at how some scrawny guy could take a serious pounding and keep right on going without so much as an ibuprofen tablet to help ease pain. 
Then I started John Wick 2. I got about half way in and shut it off. 
I just can’t watch the impossible, improbable, fantastical bull s***!

It reminded me of that scene in a movie years ago where Antonio Banderas kills all these guys flipping his guns around, shooting under his legs, flipping through the air and hitting every bad guy with an instant kill shot. 
Yeah, I shut that movie off at that point as well. 

My wife was kind of teasing me. She said “You can watch Star Trek, The Expanse, all these Sci-Fi movies and shows and that doesn’t irk you but John Wick killing 30 bad guys with a pistol and you get agitated?”

I said “Yes”

You should like John Wick 4 then cuz he gets killed. LOL   My star of the show was the GSD.  You need to watch it to find out what nuts means. LOL

TM

Edited by Texas Maverick
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

My star of the show was the GSD.

What or who is GSD?

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

What or who is GSD?

German Shepherd Dog. I have a WGSD. White German Shepherd Dog.

TM

Edited by Texas Maverick
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

German Shepherd dog.

Just now, Texas Maverick said:

German Shepherd Dog

TM

Thanks. :)

• Like 2

I liked the first movie and for an action movie I was ok with it. His gun handling was pretty smooth and he actually reloads and runs out of ammo. The sequels always seem to go overboard and kill whatever credibility there might be. I am curious though: one coin gets rid of one dead body, or a night in a hotel, or a drink in the bar. The economics confused me more than the fighting. And Keanu is a real martial arts guy. For what that’s worth. 

• Like 1

I am not a real religious guy, but the first thing I thought of when I discovered John Wick was yet another comic book character brought to life on the big screen was this: 

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1 Corinthians 13:11

I just rewatched Open Range. A movie I dearly love. But before you all pick on Keanu, who reloads fast and with style each time he runs out and runs out after 15-17 shots firearm dependent and even looks at his magazines to see how many left, think of Kevin Costner. Costner has made enough westerns to know better but he fires about 20 rounds out of one Colt SAA and for just one cowboy. Movies are, as someone said, make believe.  

really ? you dont think the wick series is not real and possible ? 

repeat after me ....................its only a movie 

came back to say - i do enjoy them as entertainment tho 

Edited by watab kid

8 hours ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

I just rewatched Open Range. A movie I dearly love. But before you all pick on Keanu, who reloads fast and with style each time he runs out and runs out after 15-17 shots firearm dependent and even looks at his magazines to see how many left, think of Kevin Costner. Costner has made enough westerns to know better but he fires about 20 rounds out of one Colt SAA and for just one cowboy. Movies are, as someone said, make believe.  

I read an account somewhere that when the action was recorded, Costner had another pistol tucked under his belt behind his back, but the bit where he drew it was edited. That being said, he still fanned about nine shots out of his six-shooter in the gunfight.

As far as the John Wick action sequences, I think they found the original screenwriter

image.jpeg.5ce0bb311999be50982fa273e72d7e88.jpeg

Edited for Otto.

Edited by Ozark Huckleberry
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

As far as the John Wick action sequences, I think they found the original screenwriter

The plot on John Wick wasn’t bad, as action films go to me. But I grew up with Chuck Norris, Stallone and Schwarzenegger so I’m pretty warped in the head. I just think some of the gun handling and reloads are pretty cool. I watched a video of him training and he was pretty serious about getting it right. I’m not defending the movie, the writer, the studio or the director. I just like Keanu. Apparently a really good decent guy without ego. Rarer than an empty gun in any of the above mentioned actors films. As for Costner, I believe what you said because he’d know better but the editor might not. And anyone capable of directing Dances With Wolves, getting it funded and keeping three hours of screen time has skill. Plus he rode and shot pretty good in Silverado. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 4:37 AM, Pat Riot said:

I am not a real religious guy, but the first thing I thought of when I discovered John Wick was yet another comic book character brought to life on the big screen was this: 

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1 Corinthians 13:11

That is a lot of peoples take on cowboy action shooters.

45 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

That is a lot of peoples take on cowboy action shooters.

Cowboy Action Shooters aren’t emulating comic book characters.