SASS Wire Forum

Rope for resetting targets

High Cotton

Just wondering about what rope to get to replace old rope on some targets.  Sounds like a dumb question but not all ropes are equal.  Id just like to hear which type is best for function and durability.

Thanks!

10 - 15 feet of steel chain on the target end then whatever rope that is on sale.

• Like 8

We have about 2' of chain attached to the re-set arm of our shotgun targets, then with a clip attached to 25' 3/8" bradded rope. We have replaced maybe 3-4 ropes in 10 years of use. 

TB

IMG_6407.jpeg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

We have about 2' of chain attached to the re-set arm of our shotgun targets, then with a clip attached to 25' 3/8" bradded rope. We have replaced maybe 3-4 ropes in 10 years of use. 

TB

IMG_6407.jpeg

This, except we use braided rope of similar materials as water ski tow ropes. It gets rainy and really humid here. 

I buy the yellow 3/8 inch rope from Southern States and attach a dog chain with snap on the end.   I put about 2 to 3 feet of dog chain between the rope and the target snap.

These are weather resistant.  I take them off and store them in the dry between matches.  I have yet had to replace one.

I have found that if you put too long of a chain on the target, it can affect how the target goes down when hit.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

TB

IMG_6407.jpeg

ill second this as a guy thats reset a lot of targets with the rope , a little chain helps but too much restricts the knock downs and that stiff synthetic rope just doesnt respond well , - yes the cheapest , but not the best or the longest lifespan , 

• Like 1

The first few feet is chain, then we use Mule tape for the rest.. It only costs a nickel a foot if you buy a big spool, is super strong, very flexible and easy on the hands. 

• Like 3

We use abt. 10 feet of 1/8" cable between the target and rope. It all rolls up easily, but the cable does develop fish hooks after a few years and need replacing. 

Use 2-3 feet of braided steel cable, then rope. Rope is more comfortable if it is a larger diameter. Chain is heavier than cable and can get hung up on targets.

i will second the use of about 10-15' of 1/8 " braided steel cable.    It does not weigh the target down the way chain can, last for years and helps prevent "shooting the rope" off.   but be sure to wear appropriate gloves after it has seasoned for the said fish hooks.

I'm currently in charge of maintaining our club's KD and plate rack reset ropes.  My goal is to set things up so they last a very long time between required maintenance or replacement. 

Don't waste your time on cheap rope, the kind you can get at Home Depot in 100-foot rolls for $5 each -- it is false economy because the cheap stuff actually breaks down in UV (that is, sunlight).  At least here in in the Texas sun and heat, that stuff lasts less then two months before it disintegrates.  Get 3/8" or, better still, 1/2" solid braid marine grade rope that is designed to protect expensive floating toys for years under the worst outdoor conditions -- salt, sun, heat, wet.  Multi-strand wire rope works at first but as soon as it kinks or twists or loops, or if any single one of the strands breaks, wire rope becomes a problem.  Still, short lengths of wire rope are used at the targets because lead splatter will damage unprotected nylon rope.  Make a loop at both mating ends of the wire rope and the nylon rope and connect the loops with carabiners.

Also, there are some stages where using all nylon rope make more sense; wire rope simply won't smoothly ride the pulleys of our swinging target.  On that stage, the several feet of nylon rope that is exposed to lead splatter is protected with rope chafe guards (Kevlar or Dyneema sleeves sold by the foot, secured on the rope with nylon zip-ties).

• Like 3

I use yellow nylon rope with clips on each end. I have learned over the years that at my club we do not leave the ropes out to weather. Use to leave ropes out all year and constantly had to replace rope. Have not had to replace any ropes in about 10 years now.

We use rope made for pulling fiber optic lines. It lasts all season and doesn't fray and get those nasty stickers like nylon rope. We got a bunch free when they were installing line nearby, then bought some last year that was about $30 or $40 for 1,200 ft.

Edited by SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER
  • Like 1

The 2,500lb "Mule Tape" (a flat-woven nylon tape about an inch wide and 1/8" thick) used by utility companies to pull big conductors through conduit is great for target re-set pulls. 

It weathers well, even in bright, hot sun.  Bullet splatter and shot don't seem to affect it very much.  It knots easily, and is soft and easy on the hands.

Just attach it to chain at the target end with a "Cowboy Knot" (that's any knot that holds it).  I haven't tried tying it direct to targets, but I bet it would work OK. 

The 2500# size can be pricey to buy new, but utility companies only use it once, and they usually will give the used stuff away.

HC, I have a 7,500' roll.  I'll send you a bunch if you can't find it locally.   Just call, text or email. 

DDD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Flinthills Dawg said:

I use yellow nylon rope with clips on each end. I have learned over the years that at my club we do not leave the ropes out to weather. Use to leave ropes out all year and constantly had to replace rope. Have not had to replace any ropes in about 10 years now.

FD -- Are you sure the yellow stuff is nylon?  That is a very unusual color for nylon rope.  The most common yellow stuff is polypropylene and it indeed weathers, while good quality nylon lasts a very long time without significant weathering damage. 

I tip my hat to all the pards who really like having to bring in ropes after every match, and then having to set them out again before every next match!  Me, personally -- I'd rather use some ropes that are designed to live for years outside in full hot sun and all other conditions Mother Nature has to offer.  Marine grade braided nylon rope works great but that "mule tape" stuff sounds great, too!

Edited by Nostrum Damus SASS #110702

On 3/31/2024 at 10:03 AM, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

We have no ropes on are targets! we have to walk out and reset by hand all the lead dust covered targets! V.D. 

thats how SASS started at our club as well , it changed ;later when the club moved to a different range but i think the pull cords to be an improvement worth their weight and effort , the less down range time the better and i think it speeds up the match by both quicker resets as well as less wear on the posse ....im old i dont nee to walk down range so much , it might wear me out before the day is done [and these days the clubs are leaning to adding a stage to the first day .eating lunch on the move/ then getting done early the second day - all well and good but makes that first day less fun for me 

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

thats how SASS started at our club as well , it changed ;later when the club moved to a different range but i think the pull cords to be an improvement worth their weight and effort , the less down range time the better and i think it speeds up the match by both quicker resets as well as less wear on the posse ....im old i dont nee to walk down range so much , it might wear me out before the day is done [and these days the clubs are leaning to adding a stage to the first day .eating lunch on the move/ then getting done early the second day - all well and good but makes that first day less fun for me 

Well, my club didn't just start! my club is where Cowboy Action Shooting started, and it's not just the time it takes resetting the targets it's the lead dust all over them! That lead dust goes from your hands to your cloths, guns and everything else you touch!

On 3/31/2024 at 8:03 AM, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

We have no ropes on are targets! we have to walk out and reset by hand all the lead dust covered targets! V.D. 

Up hill.................................BOTH WAYS. :(

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

Well, my club didn't just start! my club is where Cowboy Action Shooting started, and it's not just the time it takes resetting the targets it's the lead dust all over them! That lead dust goes from your hands to your cloths, guns and everything else you touch!

huh , so ,i guess that the pull cords would be a good thing then ? right ? i like them , you like them , i guess we all should seek out that solution , i thought the thread might be better served by them , i like the supple ropes better than that cheap stiff stuff tho