SASS Wire Forum

New words

On NCIS, whenever something did not seem right to Abby, she called it hinky.

So one episode she said something was hinky and apparently McGee had enough.

"Why do you keep saying that word? Hinky. It's not even a real word - it's a made up word!"

And she gives him that look, that says that he's the world's biggest idiot, and says, "All words are made up words McGee".

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

"Why do you keep saying that word? Hinky. It's not even a real word - it's a made up word!"

And she gives him that look, that says that he's the world's biggest idiot, and says, "All words are made up words McGee".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hinky

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

I’ve known that word since my early misspent yout. Hinky is indeed a situation or object that is not “right” as in suspect or just plain hinky! :wacko:

CJ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My apologies.

I misunderstood.

When I read "Made Up Words" my first thought was the verbalized phonemes that resulted in my running my bare toes into the leg of the coffee table I'd just banged my shin bone on, while trying to navigate in the dark so as not to wake the wife.

Firecracker Mel is a very perceptive soul.

In other moments, when I was able to hold my tongue, she told me that was the most profane silence she'd ever heard.

This time -- when I held not my words -- she inquired in which language I was vigorously blaspheming the furniture, for she heard my shin bone hit it, followed by language she did not understand, and she was satisfied was not included in the Funk and Wagnall's!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Unhoused -  to describe two homeless men. 

I come across invented words almost every day.  Often it seems an attempt at political correctness.  Other times just trying to be clever. 

clever i can accept , political correctness implies we are politically incorrect if we speak as we always have - freely , in the words of or forefathers and openly frank , i for one am becoming more and more politically incorrect every day , saying whats on my mind in the words i grew up understanding to be english as in the dictionary , 

all the rebranding , rephrasing , redefining BS is like tearing down a statue to claim it was not really what happened  , 

my grandfather was a good american of southern raising , he regularly used the N-word , as a teen i saw what was happening and why , i dont use the word because ill admit my grandfather used it derogatorily [albeit to a minority of blacks that were less than decent people] never aboutt anyone that was law abiding and decent citizens , still a fine line as those changes in society occurred

today the censorship is intended to limit free speech on one side - im still calling an illegal invader just that - but if they come under our system to become a citizen ill accept them like all the other legitimate imarants to this country like my grandfathers father ,

i guess a long way of saying - ill say what i please , i dont make up words , and if you look to limit my free speech you can kiss my redneck A$$ ,

homeless are homeless , squatters are squatters , helping those in need is different than free handouts to ilegales - never happened before - dont need to happen now , , 

there are organizations helping the homeless vets and others deserving help - i support them , our government doesnt need to be sticking their nose into that ...with our tax money , that isnt theirs to spend on anything but what the constitution says they can , like protecting our boarders from inversion , 

oh and by the way - put back my confederate statues , clean and neat , in locations of prominence and with some reverance -  after all they were Americans that simply thought different that you politically , my heritage no hate intended  

Edited by watab kid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Over used words.  I get into a short exchange of words with neighbor up the road about once a week. He'll say "awesome" often. Like you would nod or otherwise acknowledge your statement.  I get distracted.  Another  is "yummy".  It's used often in social media when there are much better words could be used. 

On 3/30/2024 at 2:07 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I've heard it on Cop shows since the '70s

Well, my misspent yout began in the 50's and continued into the early 60's.

I won't admit how old I am, but I'm sure I'm not alone in that demographic.

Fancy word, huh? :D

CJ

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Well, my misspent yout began in the 50's and continued into the early 60's.

I won't admit how old I am, but I'm sure I'm not alone in that demographic.

Fancy word, huh? :D

CJ

Did you say "yout"?:P

Edited by Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Saltation — it’s a word that describes how sands move,

also it’s a word that describes how kangaroos, some other mammals and even insects move.

So when you say greetings and saltation, you're welcoming the kangaroos?

On 3/31/2024 at 7:06 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Over used words.  I get into a short exchange of words with neighbor up the road about once a week. He'll say "awesome" often. Like you would nod or otherwise acknowledge your statement.  I get distracted.  Another  is "yummy".  It's used often in social media when there are much better words could be used. 

i hear that sort of thing as well , i realize that some "buzz" words get a lot of use when in vogue but once "old" get scoffed at , i also get distracted when i hear them , i live in a world of a lot of high school kids - not talking to me so much ads overhearing them , i forgot how that age group picked up on the 'words of the day' over the years , 

now i remember some like "groovy" and "groty" that i never really used and would never consider using these days , but in reflection i think they were more mood  descriptive back then - it seemed less political , but then i was far less politically aware then , maybe i just didnt get it , maybe i still dont but today all these changed words are very obviously political - "immigrants" come legally , the "invaders" are coming illegally even if our federal government is facilitating it , just my 2 bits but thats words im not confused about ...............

the "awesome" thing has always bugged me - it often seems dismissive, as if the listener has not heard or cant hear , or woint hear the thought that has been expressed and just wants it to go away with a seemingly positive response , i have very seldom used that word and when i did it was because something extremely big impressed me - ilke seeing the northern lights on a remote canadian lake in full display - that was awesome , other things are pretty cool or interesting in comparison , but them i doubt most that use that word regularly have seen the northern lights on a remote canadian lake , 

as far as "yummy" goes - they better be talkin of good food or im looking at them with a cocked eyebrow and keeping my distance , there are trust issues coming up with that one , OH and im armed , just so there is no question on where i stand on that BS , the closet is by the front door if you missed it 

18 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I don't normally speak that way. I was just quoting from one of my favorite movies, "My Cousin Vinny". Though I have used 'Hinky' long before NCIS had Abi using it.

CJ

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

24 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

I don't normally speak that way. I was just quoting from one of my favorite movies, "My Cousin Vinny". Though I have used 'Hinky' long before NCIS had Abi using it.

CJ

Yeah, I figured he was quoting Vinny. The correct term is "younker".

Years back we attened a farm show in Springfield, Missouri. It covered the fairgrounds inside and out.  Walk was at a snail's pace. We walked past a booth of high-school kids selling snow cones or something.  I listened as a girl was relating a story.  Most words were "like totally" and "duh". She augmented her story with gestures and facial expressions.  I caught nothing intelligible in her speech. Suppose she's a speech therapist now?

• Haha 2

New word for ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS,,,,,,

Newcomers:angry:

This administration came up with that one!

• Sad 3

That would be nice.

Back in the late 80s there was a television show called Alien Nation. A spaceship crashed in the Mojave desert. It had, as they phrased it, "250,000 souls aboard". These aliens were eventually dubbed "newcomers", and they pretty much all stayed in the Los Angeles area.

Wouldn't it be nice if we only had 250,000 illegal aliens, and they all stayed in the Los Angeles area. B)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 5 weeks later...

A Fendersmith is a person employed to clean and repair the metal fenders before fireplaces in mansions, fine estates, or castles. The person is usually also responsible for lighting and keeping the fire contained within the fireplace. Few fendersmiths exist today but can be found in places like Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace.

• Thanks 1

WHEELWRIGHT is a person who makes or repairs wheels!  You seldom find what was a classic wheelwright these days, except in historical craft settings or among the Amish.

For several years, while my parents lived among the Menonites in southern central Kentucky, I would go up to my dad’s welding shop and repair the wagon wheels used on those horse drawn wagons and carriages.

So I’m adding WHEELWRIGHT  to my resume!!

A few decades ago I was looking up a definition and word origin in the Oxford English Dictionary.  I don't recall what I was looking up, but in doing so I came across "fridgify," meaning to make cold.  Earliest citation 1597.  Just barely within the SCA period.  Yes, I brought our Compact OED to SCA events.  A useful tool for the heralds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

During a brief spell with security and investigation, a partner referred to an unsavory group circumnavigating a local hospital as "Oyeas."

At my raised eyebrow, he explained the question would be asked of their kind, "Hey, man, wanna be in da gang?"

The enthusiastic reply?

"Oyea!"

Thus ... Oyeas!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 6:35 PM, Alpo said:

So when you say greetings and saltation,

salutations.  Sorry - English major.

Edited by MizPete
  • Thanks 1

All words are invented.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

A Fendersmith is a person employed to clean and repair the metal fenders before fireplaces in mansions, fine estates, or castles. The person is usually also responsible for lighting and keeping the fire contained within the fireplace. Few fendersmiths exist today but can be found in places like Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace.

I always thought a Fendersmith was a guitar repairperson

• Haha 1