SASS Wire Forum

New words

11 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When I saw Primate City I thought Planet of the Apes but it refers to a city that is significantly larger than all others.

I thought it meant something else. Something that would truly p*** off the PC and others. :rolleyes:

Back in 2003 I started using a word that meant “go back into the cab” of a rail car. The word was “Recab”. I used it because all these train operators were coming up with stupid words for train controls that only they knew the meaning of. 
We had a staff meeting and that crap ended. 
Anyway, 5 years ago I am in our rail yard in LA and I heard a Controller tell an Operator to “Recab and try resetting the breaker for the…blah, blah, blah.” I didn’t hear what was said toward end because I was laughing so hard that my stupid word got legs. I would hear it occasionally. It always made me laugh. 

Thank God I no longer have to deal with that crap any more. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Berserk. …. I knew the word but not it’s source

In the Old Norse written corpus, berserkers (Old Norse: berserkir) were those who were said to have fought in a trance-like fury, a characteristic which later gave rise to the modern English word berserk (meaning "furiously violent or out of control"). Berserkers are attested to in numerous Old Norse sources. It is proposed by some authors that the northern warrior tradition originated from hunting magic. Three main animal cults appeared: the cult of the bear, the wolf, and the wild boar. 

• Like 1

Speaking of origins of words.

"After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane."

On 5/29/2024 at 2:01 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Berserk. …. I knew the word but not it’s source

In the Old Norse written corpus, berserkers (Old Norse: berserkir) were those who were said to have fought in a trance-like fury, a characteristic which later gave rise to the modern English word berserk (meaning "furiously violent or out of control"). Berserkers are attested to in numerous Old Norse sources. It is proposed by some authors that the northern warrior tradition originated from hunting magic. Three main animal cults appeared: the cult of the bear, the wolf, and the wild boar. 

I read, many many years back, that berserker was Old Norse for werebear.

Unlike the werewolf, who was supposed to change during a full moon, the berserker would change in battle. He would change into a bear which would make him pretty much unbeatable in a hand to hand fight.

• 3 weeks later...

Found this list…

Alaskans refer to long-time residents as "sourdoughs."

"Welcome to Cackalacky!" might sound like a line straight out of Alice in Wonderland, but in North Carolina, it’s actually a playful nickname for the Tar Heel State. While some have claimed it is a derivative of a Cherokee word -as it often happens- its exact origin is unknown. In any case, it has long been embraced in music and popular culture, and it symbolizes local pride.

Driving in New Jersey, you might encounter "jughandles," which are road configurations designed to make left turns by turning right first - seen from above as forming a shape akin to the handle of a jug. This peculiar traffic feature is ubiquitous in the Garden State but, for some reason, rare elsewhere.

A multipurpose exclamation of Scandinavian origin, "Uff da" is used in North Dakota to express surprise, exhaustion, or dismay.

In New Mexico, ordering food often involves the question, "Red or green?" However, there's a third possible answer: "Christmas." This refers to the type of chile sauce you prefer: red, green, or both (Christmas). Considered by many as the "official state question," the answer can even reveal whether you are from the northern or southern part of the state.

Residents of northern Nevada might warn you about "pogonip," a dangerously thick and icy fog. If you were thinking of dismissing the warning of locals and braving this legendary - but very real - weather phenomenon, just know that the word comes from the Shoshone language and literally means "white death." We are not taking any chances, but you do you.

In Tennessee, a "meat and three" is a beloved meal consisting of one meat and three side dishes. 

Oklahomans might ask, "J'eet?" when they want to know if you’ve eaten. 

Contrary to what it suggests, in Rhode Island, the term "awful awful" refers to a delicious milkshake. The term is derived from "awful big and awful good," emphasizing the drink’s rich, creamy appeal. 

If something is askew or out of order in South Dakota, it’s "kattywampus" (or alternatively "cattywampus"). This whimsical word can describe anything from a crooked picture frame to a disorganized room. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, this bizarre word is actually a variant of "catawampus," another slang word that traces back to the 19th century and can refer to an "imaginary fierce wild animal."

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Isogram, a word in which each letter occurs the same number of times.

imponderably, uncopyrightable and subdermatoglyphic are first order isograms. Deed, Vivienne, Caucasus, and intestines are second order isograms.

Okay, now you're just showing off.:wacko:

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Isogram, a word in which each letter occurs the same number of times.

imponderably, uncopyrightable and subdermatoglyphic are first order isograms. Deed, Vivienne, Caucasus, and intestines are second order isograms.

Does it have to be a long word?

How about that. Every word in that sentence fit.

Also, go, to, two, cat, dog, rat, goldfish.

Seems like there are a whole lot of isograms out there.

21 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Does it have to be a long word?

How about that. Every word in that sentence fit.

Also, go, to, two, cat, dog, rat, goldfish.

Seems like there are a whole lot of isograms out there.

Not hard to find short words, so easy a caveman could do it. It’s finding long words that’s the challenge. And second order isograms….

Around here, if you say something hinky or wonky, the response is likely to be "that's so special." Also a nice way of saying "you're an idiot."

Yes, let's see... Unhoused. Undocumented. Happy holidays. Government investment. Redeploy. Revenue enhancement. Resource reallocation.

I'll probably think of more.

15 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Yes, let's see... Unhoused. Undocumented.

If I understood the definition correctly there is the same amount of each letter in the word.

Unhoused - 2 u, 1 each n h o s e d. Doesn't fit.

Undocumented - 2 u, 2n, 2d, 2 e, but 1 o, c, m, t. Again, doesn't fit.

On 6/25/2024 at 2:45 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

In New Mexico, ordering food often involves the question, "Red or green?"

I thought that was Colorado.

One of these days I'm going to have to try some green chili. I've seen variations of this question, often. And of course I have heard of salsa verde. Ain't never had any. I don't think they do that in Florida.