SASS Wire Forum

New words

11 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When I saw Primate City I thought Planet of the Apes but it refers to a city that is significantly larger than all others.

I thought it meant something else. Something that would truly p*** off the PC and others. :rolleyes:

Back in 2003 I started using a word that meant “go back into the cab” of a rail car. The word was “Recab”. I used it because all these train operators were coming up with stupid words for train controls that only they knew the meaning of. 
We had a staff meeting and that crap ended. 
Anyway, 5 years ago I am in our rail yard in LA and I heard a Controller tell an Operator to “Recab and try resetting the breaker for the…blah, blah, blah.” I didn’t hear what was said toward end because I was laughing so hard that my stupid word got legs. I would hear it occasionally. It always made me laugh. 

Thank God I no longer have to deal with that crap any more. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Berserk. …. I knew the word but not it’s source

In the Old Norse written corpus, berserkers (Old Norse: berserkir) were those who were said to have fought in a trance-like fury, a characteristic which later gave rise to the modern English word berserk (meaning "furiously violent or out of control"). Berserkers are attested to in numerous Old Norse sources. It is proposed by some authors that the northern warrior tradition originated from hunting magic. Three main animal cults appeared: the cult of the bear, the wolf, and the wild boar. 

• Like 1

Speaking of origins of words.

"After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane."

On 5/29/2024 at 2:01 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Berserk. …. I knew the word but not it’s source

In the Old Norse written corpus, berserkers (Old Norse: berserkir) were those who were said to have fought in a trance-like fury, a characteristic which later gave rise to the modern English word berserk (meaning "furiously violent or out of control"). Berserkers are attested to in numerous Old Norse sources. It is proposed by some authors that the northern warrior tradition originated from hunting magic. Three main animal cults appeared: the cult of the bear, the wolf, and the wild boar. 

I read, many many years back, that berserker was Old Norse for werebear.

Unlike the werewolf, who was supposed to change during a full moon, the berserker would change in battle. He would change into a bear which would make him pretty much unbeatable in a hand to hand fight.