SASS Wire Forum

Cutting ties.

If you do business with Bass Pro,  Buds Guns, Sportsmans Warehouse,  etc, you probably get on their email list. I've been covered over with emails. I was getting a half dozen from some places a day. I've gotten to the point I don't need anything from these companies.  So the last couple of days I've been unsubscribing from them.  It won't end them all but it'll cut them down considerably. 

• Like 1

That's exactly the reason that I never give my e-mail out unless it for something I ordered. Fox News wants your e-mail just to be able to read it. That way they can sell your e-mail to who knows who and you'll get bombarded with spam from Fox and who knows who else...screw them....there's lot's of places to read the news with out that.

• Like 4

That is why I set up a "spoof" email account.  If I need to give an email address to access something, I give them that one.  Problem solved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just cut off Cabela's.  

Another problem is spam phone calls, text messages and voice mail.  I have my phone set to only answer calls from my contact list. But that doesn't always work. I block numbers but that apparently doesn't work because they just call from a different number.  Then there is apparently no way to stop them from leaving a voice message. 

@Warden Callaway Great minds and all that. 

I just did the same thing. I did mine a bit differently. I have a Yahoo mail account but I use DuckDuckGo email via Yahoo so DDG removes all trackers. When I sign up for accounts I use (my email name)@Duck.com instead of (my email name)@Yahoo.com. 
Any emails I got from vendors to my Yahoo account have been Unsubscribed. 

If a vendor will not recognize the “Duck.com” address I will not subscribe to them. 

4 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Just cut off Cabela's.  

Another problem is spam phone calls, text messages and voice mail.  I have my phone set to only answer calls from my contact list. But that doesn't always work. I block numbers but that apparently doesn't work because they just call from a different number.  Then there is apparently no way to stop them from leaving a voice message. 

I just keep blocking them. Eventually they will give up. 

• Thanks 1

I'm sure it's from ordering online.  They need your email address to complete the transaction and give you notice of shipment,  etc. I do online business with MidwayUSA but they don't hound me with all the promotions.  

• Like 1

im in agreement , im about to do the same , its purchases over the last few years that got me on the lists , i hate it , everything from guns to cigas - ill buy when i want , i dont need daily reminders of their sales and such , i often wonder if they realize how anoying that is - i actually buy more from the places that send me less these days , but , their add department says they need to 

I never order online from Bass Pro/ Cabelas, there’s one 30 minutes from here but their prices are usually higher than the local gun shops around here. I have no use for Cabelas/Bass Pro. 
I’ve checked out Sportmans warehouse online but never ordered from them. 

18 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

@Warden Callaway Great minds and all that. 

I just did the same thing. I did mine a bit differently. I have a Yahoo mail account but I use DuckDuckGo email via Yahoo so DDG removes all trackers. When I sign up for accounts I use (my email name)@Duck.com instead of (my email name)@Yahoo.com. 
Any emails I got from vendors to my Yahoo account have been Unsubscribed. 

If a vendor will not recognize the “Duck.com” address I will not subscribe to them. 

I just keep blocking them. Eventually they will give up. 

I’ve always liked their search engine, this is good info, thanks. I already use multiple email accounts for different purposes. 
I have one private/encrypted email account I use for things I deem important, that I actually pay for, and Google and yahoo for the spammers 

Sometimes the trackers can save you money. Quite a few times when I have been comparison shopping I will go to multiple sites and put items in my shopping cart. Many times within a day or sometimes hours I will get the “you forget to check out email” . Many times that email includes a discount code or “free shipping code” . Brownells regularly sends me a 10% off code if I put something in a shopping cart and leave it there for a day. Not allot but sometimes it can make a difference. Even if it only saves me a few bucks it feels better in my pocket than theirs 

I usually spend a few minutes every day, unsubscribing from unwanted emails and or blocking emails that I don’t want to see!

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I never order online from Bass Pro/ Cabelas, there’s one 30 minutes from here but their prices are usually higher than the local gun shops around here. I have no use for Cabelas/Bass Pro. 
I’ve checked out Sportmans warehouse online but never ordered from them. 

I've bought a lot of ammo from Bass. I bought one rifle. I've bought one optic and a couple of knives. I have bought a lot of their Red Head house brand casual clothes, which fit me well. Their store here is about 15 minutes away; convenient.

I have had no problems with them.

Zoom is another service one cannot delete... just like AOL used to be.

I got my bank to put a stop to them charging my account, and that was like puling teeth.

The junk emails are down a lot.  Still get some by ebay. I look at something and they'll come back and invite me to take another look.  I got one from Taylor and Company.  I'll leave that one. I like the pictures.  And I like the ladies that run the place. 

ive moved some to spam and that gets them going to that dump site but i also periodically unsubscribe , to many sites require your daa to buy from them , once on the list ................