SASS Wire Forum

Just when I thought it was time to retire...

The enlisted need quality officers. You must be one of them since 1 star was offered to you. You didn't lobby for it!

IMHO, you will be able to enhance your service by staving off your retirement for a few more years.

The Army needs all the help it can get!

:-)

Semper Fidelis;

Mud Marine

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

The enlisted need quality officers. You must be one of them since 1 star was offered to you. You didn't lobby for it!

IMHO, you will be able to enhance your service by staving off your retirement for a few more years.

Semper Fidelis;

Mud Marine

Definitely not a star.  Brigades have been commanded by Colonels since WW2. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Definitely not a star.  Brigades have been commanded by Colonels since WW2. 

Kinda takes the meaning out of  "Brigadier. "

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused if this is a joke. I'm a lowly civilian and not knowledgeable in such things, but I would think you would receive something more than an e mail in such a thing.

JHC:blink: 

After re reading this thread a few times I think I stuck my foot in my mouth. Not the first time but I try not to make a habit of it. Congratulations Col. Cassidy!

Su amigo,

JHC

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Kinda takes the meaning out of  "Brigadier. "

They eliminated the “regiment” layer of bureaucracy and reorganized.  So a modern brigade is the same size as the old regiments used to be.  Regiments were commanded by colonels, so it’s the same span of control.  So the brigadier label has been relegated to history.

Edited by Cyrus Cassidy #45437
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

They eliminated the “regiment” layer of bureaucracy and reorganized.  So a modern brigade is the same size as the old regiments used to be.  Regiments were commanded by colonels, so it’s the same span of control.  So the brigadier label has been relegated to history.

So it's no longer

Army

Corps

Division

Brigade

Regiment

Battalion 

Company

(which I remember as All Cops Drive Big Red Bad Cars)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

So it's no longer

Army

Corps

Division

Brigade

Regiment

Battalion 

Company

(which I remember as All Cops Drive Big Red Bad Cars)

Pard, seriously, it hasn't been since shortly after WW2.  There are a few separate cavalry brigades that retain the name "regiment" as a historical marker, but they are brigades commanded by colonels.  Other than that, there is no such thing as a regiment and hasn't been since two generations before I was born!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Semper Fidelis;

Mud Marine

Oorah

39 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Pard, seriously, it hasn't been since shortly after WW2.  There are a few separate cavalry brigades that retain the name "regiment" as a historical marker, but they are brigades commanded by colonels.  Other than that, there is no such thing as a regiment and hasn't been since two generations before I was born!

Next you'll be trying to tell me that NCO chevron point up and this handbook is out of date!

:lol:

Again,  well done,  and well deserved.   The organizational skills you possess must be phenomenal. 

• Haha 2

With all due respect and a touch of whimsy, I shall now always think of our own CC as "Colonel Ump~!"  ^_^

That said, congratulations ~ to both you AND the Army.     61Kpt22-mmL._AC_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading between the lines…

Does “selected for brigade command..." mean “soon, when we have a brigade opening.”  In the reserves? Would you have to relocate?

chain of command for me was

USAREUR

7th Army

VII Corps

VII Corps Arty

35 Arty Gp

1bn / 36 Arty Regiment

Battery

The Regiment was just a paper organization, 2bn was on a different continent.

The group would have been the regiment/ brigade level organization, led by a colonel.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Reading between the lines…

Does “selected for brigade command..." mean “soon, when we have a brigade opening.”  In the reserves? Would you have to relocate?

chain of command for me was

USAREUR

7th Army

VII Corps

VII Corps Arty

35 Arty Gp

1bn / 36 Arty Regiment

Battery

The Regiment was just a paper organization, 2bn was on a different continent.

The group would have been the regiment/ brigade level organization, led by a colonel.

It wasn't even a paper organization by that time.  It was just a historical marker.  They still exist as historical markers.  Three battalions scattered across the army can all trace their lineage through the same regiment.  So 1-36, 2-36, and 3-36 all came from the 36th Artillery Regiment, but the regiment is no longer a thing.

Reserves:  We don't relocate for part-time (HA!) jobs.  We fly all the time. 

All.

The.

Time.

I'm currently a division G3/5/7 and work out of Fort Sill but live in Colorado.  Now I'll be flying to PA and NY instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

congrats ,that is an honor and i know from my deceased FILs conversations with me that it will do some good in your retirement that is well deserved , 

my roommate in college expanded my understanding of command a little but ill admit to knowing very little , his father was a colonel in charge in Stuttgart germany at the time , later in leavenworth i think , his two brothers , were SF in VN at the time ,  that sat with my wife and i at the table for his wedding were lieutenants at the time , they became the general of the army and surgeon general of the army later in life , 

On 3/3/2024 at 7:22 AM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

It wasn't even a paper organization by that time.  It was just a historical marker.  They still exist as historical markers.  Three battalions scattered across the army can all trace their lineage through the same regiment.  So 1-36, 2-36, and 3-36 all came from the 36th Artillery Regiment, but the regiment is no longer a thing.

Reserves:  We don't relocate for part-time (HA!) jobs.  We fly all the time. 

All.

The.

Time.

I'm currently a division G3/5/7 and work out of Fort Sill but live in Colorado.  Now I'll be flying to PA and NY instead.

Congrats On the assignment , Although I kind of liked Sill,   Lots of History there . When I came back in they had the old hospital where Geronimo died as our barracks  Sheridan house ect. Ironically that was also my last Army duty station . Better stop up at Meer's for a burger before you go .

• Like 1

Congratulations!