SASS Wire Forum

Wanted to say 'HOWDY' to everyone and introduce myself ---from Arizona

Dr. Zook

I wanted to say HELLO and introduce myself to you all ---took a minute to get myself signed up on here... I would like to thank personally for pointing me in the right direction, is Mr. Cowtown Scout --- THANK YOU Sir!!!

I'm from the west side of the metro Phoenix area, usually can be found out at Ben Avery on weekdays and every once in a while, at Cowtown.  I do not have an SASS # yet, so I listed myself as a Guest-Green Horn (which isn't far from the truth).  I would greatly appreciate help, tips, tricks etc, to help me learn CAS shooting.  I did pick up Evil Roy's 4 DVD video set to watch and also Captain Baylor’s Big Bad Book of Cowboy Action Shooting to read.  Have an OV Ruger 45 colt Vaquero, Rossi 92 in 45 Colt and a Colt G series Peace Maker 22lr/22wm.  Going to make it out to EOT tomorrow and try to absorb all the information that I can from everyone,,,,

If you see some middle aged guy wandering like a kid in a toy store...possibly me...LoL

respectfully,

Steve

{aka Dr. Zook}

• Like 8

Next Saturday would be a good day to watch CAS.  Hang out with CS’s posse if you can.  You will learn more by watching than reading this Wire.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971
  • Like 4

When you come out to EOT, PLEASE stop by my booth and get a big fat welcome and hug (if you’re a hugger)! This game is the most fun ever!! You’re in a great place to really enjoy yourself!

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 7

Dr. Zook, Welcome to the best game and folks goin!

Do get out to some matches and meet some folks, you will be amazed! Be sure to bring eye & ear protection and get ready to hang in for the addiction.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

• Like 4

Dr Zook; Welcome aboard and start having great times and meeting great folks.

See yah around the ranges from EOT, Cow Town and ACSA.

Need help or questions just ask pilgrim because you'll have lots of folks that will bend your way if needed.

See yah on the range somewhere in time.

Jackrabbit Joe & Sly Puppy

• Like 2

Welcome to the game. Read Captain Baylors book all the way through at least once, if you dont like making unneccessary purchases. you are in a great location for CAS.

Imis

• Like 5

Dr. Zook, cool alias, now spend time before spending money, at Cowtown, ACSA, and Rio Salado watching and talking to CAS shooters.

You will learn more info that will be more helpful than surfing the internet.   You will meet folks who have been there and are now there and can help you get into CAS.   Just show up and be friendly and there will be folks who might even after a match take you over, give you guns and ammo, and walk you thru a stage.

Welcome to Arizona's most fun shooting sport.

• Like 3

Welcome to the place, great bunch here!

20 hours ago, Scarlett said:

When you come out to EOT, PLEASE stop by my booth and get a big fat welcome and hug (if you’re a hugger)! This game is the most fun ever!! You’re in a great place to really enjoy yourself!

Hugs!

Scarlett

Scarlett, you gonna be at Ambush at Cavern Cove?

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 12:30 AM, Scarlett said:

Hugs!

Scarlett

I can wholeheartedly endorse Scarlett's invitation!  Great bullets, great hugger, and great cowgal!!    SB

• Like 2

On 2/24/2024 at 6:38 PM, DeaconKC said:

Welcome to the place, great bunch here!

Scarlett, you gonna be at Ambush at Cavern Cove?

Absolutely! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 7:39 AM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome to the game. Read Captain Baylors book all the way through at least once, if you dont like making unneccessary purchases. you are in a great location for CAS.

Imis

I have autographed copies of Captain Baylor’s Book at my tent! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

I recommend talking to some of the longtime shooters about technique (especially with the revolvers) and then practicing that technique with dry fire at home (always check that its unloaded first and then practice shooting at something you don't mind destroying anyways). Especially since you said you have Vaqueros it's fine to dryfire them, but you might consider finding some snap caps anyways. I would do the same with the rifle and shotguns (get some dummy round and practice loading and firing the shotguns).

On 2/23/2024 at 9:03 PM, Dr. Zook said:

I wanted to say HELLO and introduce myself to you all ---took a minute to get myself signed up on here... I would like to thank personally for pointing me in the right direction, is Mr. Cowtown Scout --- THANK YOU Sir!!!

I'm from the west side of the metro Phoenix area, usually can be found out at Ben Avery on weekdays and every once in a while, at Cowtown.  I do not have an SASS # yet, so I listed myself as a Guest-Green Horn (which isn't far from the truth).  I would greatly appreciate help, tips, tricks etc, to help me learn CAS shooting.  I did pick up Evil Roy's 4 DVD video set to watch and also Captain Baylor’s Big Bad Book of Cowboy Action Shooting to read.  Have an OV Ruger 45 colt Vaquero, Rossi 92 in 45 Colt and a Colt G series Peace Maker 22lr/22wm.  Going to make it out to EOT tomorrow and try to absorb all the information that I can from everyone,,,,

If you see some middle aged guy wandering like a kid in a toy store...possibly me...LoL

respectfully,

Steve

{aka Dr. Zook}

Hey Dr. Zook

You need to make it out there on Saturday, watch some shooting, visit vendors, talk to folks, try some fast draw if that is set up again this year.  Hope you were able to get your wife to go with you.  Let us know how it went for you.

Scout

Welcome to the dance !

Cap your Nipples & Lube your Balls .

The dance is about to begin. 

Screenshot_20240218_192322_Photos.thumb.jpg.70dfbfc15fa04e20969c7e64f2f68519.jpg

Thank you All for the Welcome !!!!!

My Wife and I made it out to EOT yesterday afternoon -- much appreciated for the ride from and back to our truck by the folks running the shuttle... Got to meet Scarlett and some other fine folks who were in her shop when we arrived --- absolutely great Hugs given...Thank you -- the Mrs. got some great gun advice from one of the ladies in the tent... 

Walked around the vendor's shops, met Brad w/ Taylor & Co --- incredibly large display & learned somethings about pistol grips both from Brad and another gentleman who was looking a Bisley type pistols.  I didn't know that on some pistols there's a flat behind the hammer while other's have rounded frames at that location nor the differences in grips/finger positions between regular, birds head and gunfighter for those of us with larger hands.

Watched some of the quick draw participants on the far west side of the area --- the depth/attention to detail that shooters & spouses went to, to participate in character was amazing --- Next year we'll have to get tickets to the EOT dinner, observe the costume/in-character contest & get to interact more with the other attendees. Have to pick out some new attire for us both so that we can travel back to the old west for a spell...

above all --- Thank You to all who made us feel welcome!!!!

Dr. & Mrs. Zook 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Zook said:

Thank you All for the Welcome !!!!!

My Wife and I made it out to EOT yesterday afternoon -- much appreciated for the ride from and back to our truck by the folks running the shuttle... Got to meet Scarlett and some other fine folks who were in her shop when we arrived --- absolutely great Hugs given...Thank you -- the Mrs. got some great gun advice from one of the ladies in the tent... 

Walked around the vendor's shops, met Brad w/ Taylor & Co --- incredibly large display & learned somethings about pistol grips both from Brad and another gentleman who was looking a Bisley type pistols.  I didn't know that on some pistols there's a flat behind the hammer while other's have rounded frames at that location nor the differences in grips/finger positions between regular, birds head and gunfighter for those of us with larger hands.

Watched some of the quick draw participants on the far west side of the area --- the depth/attention to detail that shooters & spouses went to, to participate in character was amazing --- Next year we'll have to get tickets to the EOT dinner, observe the costume/in-character contest & get to interact more with the other attendees. Have to pick out some new attire for us both so that we can travel back to the old west for a spell...

above all --- Thank You to all who made us feel welcome!!!!

Dr. & Mrs. Zook 

Outstanding, glad you both made it out and sounds like you had a good time!   Well the hook it now set. :)

Edited by Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L