SASS Wire Forum

And y'all think I'm strange

Alpo

There's a fanfiction on Superman. This is the blurb describing the story, by the author.

This takes place in Smallville. Clark Kent is an adult and married with kids before his powers kick in. He has to cope with new powers and his exsiting life. *I have received criticism that certain aspects of this story are unrealistic. It is a story based on a comic book...non of it is realistic.

"Certain aspects of the story are unrealistic". Damn.

• Haha 1

I wish these people would leave these stories alone already! They should make up their own stories but they have no creativity at all so they alter the old stories !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I wish these people would leave these stories alone already! They should make up their own stories but they have no creativity at all so they alter the old stories !

Have you heard disney's latest idea? "Pirates of the Caribbean", with a female, black Captain, and no Jack Sparrow.

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Have you heard disney's latest idea? "Pirates of the Caribbean", with a female, black Captain, and no Jack Sparrow.

Unbelievable!! Disney keeps getting more woke! :angry:

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Well, ain't that just wonderfully politically correct of them.

I haven't wasted a nickel on Disney in years.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Meanwhile, Walt spins in his grave like a turbine engine.:(

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Alternate Earths or the Multiverse allows for multiple iterations of the Superman ethos.

Some variants and even some "fanfiction" is very well written and explores possibilities that were not considered at a characters inception.

There is a faction that (rightfully) says that rehashing an existing character is (or can be) lazy and writers need to "create" new characters; but almost all fictional characters gather elements from those preceding.

Superman was "created" or at minimum inspired by "Doc Savage - Man of Bronze".

Batman is a updated version of Zorro (as is the fictional Lone Ranger as well).

Using an existing character allows for creative placement of a known commodity without the tedium of rehashing origin stories (afterall - how often do we need to see Bruce Wayne lose his parents?).

This is the same device used for James Bond - we don't explain timelines or how he changes from a balding scotsman to a blonde over the course of half a century.

We simply bypass all that and start with something exploding.

I've had a Superman story partially written for a number of years that questions why Superman looks like he does; if Superman derives his strength from our yellow sun - why does he look like a body builder?

Muscularity is derived from effort, resistance and repetitive actions - unneccessary for him to have this appearance - how much easier would his schlubby Clark Kent persona be if he simply looked like any common person?

In some version of the DC universe - there is a skinny Superman that looks more like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory than Mr. Universe.

If the writing is well done and creates a broadened universe - I have no issues with a black Spiderman, a Superman who's power manifest with adulthood or a Batman that grows up poor.

If the writing is poor - I'm not interested in a rehash - I won't be interested in an original character either.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I've had a Superman story partially written for a number of years that questions why Superman looks like he does; if Superman derives his strength from our yellow sun - why does he look like a body builder

This is the Superman from the 1948 serial.

9418728962_5bfa77c5db_b.jpg

Their theory was the same. Superman gets his powers magically, from the yellow sun. He doesn't need muscles.

I'll put something in the picture for scale. Everyone knows how big Noel Neal is, right? She was the original Lois. Longer hair. But you can use her to see how big Superman is not.

Superman+3.JPG?format=1500w

• Thanks 1

Actually, ALPO!!  We KNOW  you’re strange!!  <_< :lol:

(nothing here to change that)

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Superman was "created" or at minimum inspired by "Doc Savage - Man of Bronze".

Doc Savage? I read one novel in that series. I should say I read a quarter of a Doc Savage novel. Pretty sure the author was hot for Doc, if you know what I mean. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

This is the Superman from the 1948 serial.

9418728962_5bfa77c5db_b.jpg

Their theory was the same. Superman gets his powers magically, from the yellow sun. He doesn't need muscles.

I'll put something in the picture for scale. Everyone knows how big Noel Neal is, right? She was the original Lois. Longer hair. But you can use her to see how big Superman is not.

Superman+3.JPG?format=1500w

But we still have an in shape objectively good looking guy with good hair who is likely 6 footish.

Im talking a Woody Allen type - the challenges of being a hero who doesn't look heroic.

What would be required to be taken seriously?  The same challenges that "current" Clark Kent suffers with identity and appearance vs Superman (and don't give me the super hypnosis or projection glasses answer - I don't accept it).

Our nebbish Superman would have the same issues just in reverse; would we revere someone 5ft 1in 121lbs as a man-god?

Would he have to "costume" as a hulking beast to appear heroic or would he morph into a Batman as a creature of the night to avoid scrutiny?

How would the Lois - Superman - Clark love triangle be affected when Clark is so obviously not super? (was always hard to buy that the 6ft 4inch Clark was incapable of attracting female attention just because he wore glasses).

Having never been heroic (or viewed as such) would he be the reluctant hero or become the spurned villain?

Going off a little to the side here

I just looked this guy up to see if it possibly gave his physical stats - height weight. Didn't. But I found out that in the first Christopher Reeves Superman movie, Clark is running home from school, and he passes a train. There's a little girl on the train who sees him running past. This is young Lois Lane. She tries to tell her parents about this and they tell her to quit making stuff up. Her parents in this little Cameo shot were Kirk Alyn and Noel Neill - the original live action Superman and Lois Lane. I had recognized Noel as the little girl's mother, but didn't recognize her father. Probably because I've only seen the serial two or three times, and I've been watching the TV show most of my life.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I just looked this guy up to see if it possibly gave his physical stats - height weight. Didn't.

Kirk Alyn 6 ft 1 inch

Didn't find weight for him and as he doesn't look to be incredibly large.

I would venture about 170 - 180lbs.

My favorite part of superman was him having 38 bullets bouncing off him .

But ducking the gun being thrown at him lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

My favorite part of superman was him having 38 bullets bouncing off him .

But ducking the gun being thrown at him lol

I always wondered why they didn’t shoot him in the face! :lol:

52 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I always wondered why they didn’t shoot him in the face! :lol:

They did in an episode called The Face and The Voice. They took this thug - Boulder - and gave him plastic surgery and vocal lessons to make him look like and sound like Superman. And then he would walk into stores and say give me the money and people would give him the money. And he wears a bulletproof vest in case anyone shoots him. After the second robbery, and the guard did shoot him, he brought up the point that maybe somebody will shoot him in the face.

At the end of the episode, the real Superman has showed up but the criminal mastermind thinks that it is Boulder. He has decided to double cross everybody and keep the whole 2 million dollars for himself. And he pulls out his gun and says, "You've always been afraid someone's going to shoot you in that mug of yours, so here", and he shoots three or four shots and Sups just grins at him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They did in an episode called The Face and The Voice. They took this thug - Boulder - and gave him plastic surgery and vocal lessons to make him look like and sound like Superman. And then he would walk into stores and say give me the money and people would give him the money. And he wears a bulletproof vest in case anyone shoots him. After the second robbery, and the guard did shoot him, he brought up the point that maybe somebody will shoot him in the face.

At the end of the episode, the real Superman has showed up but the criminal mastermind thinks that it is Boulder. He has decided to double cross everybody and keep the whole 2 million dollars for himself. And he pulls out his gun and says, "You've always been afraid someone's going to shoot you in that mug of yours, so here", and he shoots three or four shots and Sups just grins at him.

Never saw that one. Was it the old Superman series?

Yes it was. There are clips of it on YouTube, but not the entire episode.

I have no idea why the title this this way. This is Boulder learning how to speak.

• Thanks 2

On 2/9/2024 at 4:11 PM, Alpo said:

There's a fanfiction on Superman. This is the blurb describing the story, by the author.

This takes place in Smallville. Clark Kent is an adult and married with kids before his powers kick in. He has to cope with new powers and his exsiting life. *I have received criticism that certain aspects of this story are unrealistic. It is a story based on a comic book...non of it is realistic.

"Certain aspects of the story are unrealistic". Damn.

My powers kicked in at PUBERTY :rolleyes:

If he can’t feel anything how could he……..
Never mind. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

i never said you were strange ..........and im not saying it now .................but im not following all this line of thinking , mostly the root of it , when i want my fix of this i watch a couple episodes of big bang theory ,