SASS Wire Forum

Does anyone know the shelf life of Sterno?

Alpo

I was thinking of putting together a little emergency kit in my truck. One of those little coghlan stoves that use canned heat, and a couple of cans of Sterno.

https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-9957-Folding-Stove/dp/B0007L8108?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I've got a set of speckleware. So I can stick in a frying pan and a coffee pot and a plate and a cup.

So if I was stuck somewhere where there wasn't any food, and I happened to have some food in the truck, then I could warm it up. Maybe make some coffee.

• Like 2

That’s a good question and a good idea. 

I remember seeing rusty cans of Sterno on a shelf in a friend’s garage and he claimed they worked. He said they were old but he didn’t know how old. I would have guessed by their appearance they were 10-15 years old. 

I found these - I think you’re good to go. 

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx3OX1IL2VA78VY

https://www.faqsclear.com/how-long-can-sternos-last/

https://www.survivalistboards.com/threads/shelf-life-of-canned-heat.968446/

3 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I read "canned heat" and immediately started having flashbacks. B)

‘Cause of the band or ‘cause of a bag??  :o :lol:

DON’T ANSWER THAT!!!  <_<

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

You weren't drinking it were you? That ought to give you some interesting flashbacks.

Not hardly! ;)

click the link

• Thanks 3

Just a note, Kiwi Shoe Polish in the flat tins also burns, so you can use it in an emergency.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I used to keep a couple of cans of Sterno and a mess kit with some dehydrated food, a rolled up down mummy bag as well etc. in the car during the winter:

Just in case. (Hey, I'm from the Northern Alberta)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Just a note, Kiwi Shoe Polish in the flat tins also burns, so you can use it in an emergency.

humor crayon.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

humor crayon.jpg

If you leave a 24 pack of Crayons in your vehicle in the Florida summer, you'll have a pack of multicolored "Sterno" by day and one big multicolored Crayon by night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My wife and I used to keep tall glass prayer candles on hand in case of emergencies. 
image.jpeg.fb2354fbf535a8931e905bc5ae99b296.jpeg

I have used them to heat food but I am sure Sterno would be faster. Candles like these will burn for days once light and left alone. Some ads say 7 days. Maybe the ones I got at the 99¢ Store were inferior. They only burned 4-5 days. 
The ones I bought at the 99¢ Store had pictures of saints on them. Some could be removed (plastic sleeve) and some couldn’t, but for a buck each, who cares. 

Also, do not store them in a hot garage lying on their side. :blink:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

. Can you protect the can so that it does not rust?

I've heard of survivalists painting cans so they don't rust. Buy brand new gallon paint cans at the paint store, put your emergency supplies in a ziplock and hammer the lid down. Rice, beans, matches, whatever. And a coat of paint helps protect that shiny new steel can.

Maybe that would work with the Sterno cans also.

Put five test cans on the shelf, date them with a sharpie and come back every ten years to check on them . After 50 years report back to us on your progress in the test. Thank you

Imis

• Haha 1

Yowza, when I see something I never thought of before, I check A**z** and sure enough they got ‘em, gallons, quarts, pints in metal and gallons in plastic.

Then again, could always do what the army does and check them every year or what the navy does and paint them every week.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I've heard of survivalists painting cans so they don't rust. Buy brand new gallon paint cans at the paint store, put your emergency supplies in a ziplock and hammer the lid down. Rice, beans, matches, whatever. And a coat of paint helps protect that shiny new steel can.

Maybe that would work with the Sterno cans also.

Check out Lowe’s or Home Depot for 5 gallon snap on lids with a center that unscrews called a “Gamma Seal”. Amazon has them too. 
We used them for dry goods - rice, beans, flour, sugar, pasta, dehydrated camp food, and things we wanted preserved, like; matches, seasonings, etc.

If you get the brand “Gamma Seal” you can keep dry good foods in them for a few years. I know because we did. 
For long term storage put a chunk of dry ice in first. Fill the bucket with you rice, beans, etc then let it sit a while as the ice melts a bit and fills the voids in the bucket with CO2. Give it a few minutes then seal the bucket. DO THIS OUTSIDE.

You could do the same with liquid nitrogen, but that’s harder to get.

image.thumb.jpeg.8d1051d7687de205191b7869cb19c866.jpeg

• Like 1

Solves rusting issues. 

Snip-it_1706621324596.thumb.jpg.a6932c4125eb10a4f2effb346123d2ca.jpg

@Pat Riot beat me by 3 minutes. :o

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yowza, when I see something I never thought of before, I check A**z** and sure enough they got ‘em, gallons, quarts, pints in metal and gallons in plastic.

Then again, could always do what the army does and check them every year or what the navy does and paint them every week.

Or do like the Air Force and hire a subcontractor.

10 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Well, Alpo is talking about going “on the road again”….:)

I thought he might be thinking about"Going up country" .

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Check out Lowe’s or Home Depot for 5 gallon snap on lids with a center that unscrews called a “Gamma Seal”. Amazon has them too. 
We used them for dry goods - rice, beans, flour, sugar, pasta, dehydrated camp food, and things we wanted preserved, like; matches, seasonings, etc.

If you get the brand “Gamma Seal” you can keep dry good foods in them for a few years. I know because we did. 
For long term storage put a chunk of dry ice in first. Fill the bucket with you rice, beans, etc then let it sit a while as the ice melts a bit and fills the voids in the bucket with CO2. Give it a few minutes then seal the bucket. DO THIS OUTSIDE.

You could do the same with liquid nitrogen, but that’s harder to get.

image.thumb.jpeg.8d1051d7687de205191b7869cb19c866.jpeg

Open a gloved size hardware and put it in the bucket seal it up.

The hardware uses the available o2 in the bucket and becomes inert. Leaving only the nitrogen.

Trioxane tablets also work great and never go bad but I am not sure if you can get them any longer, used them in the Army back in the 80s

• Like 1

After perusing about two dozen sites the consensus seems to be 2 years, or 12 years, or indefinite.  The one thing that all seem to agree on is that once you open the can shelf life goes down to a couple of months.

As an alternative you could get a few boxes of tea lights.   Several of them under a pot can heat it enough to cook with and boil water.   Even bake bread if you have about 6 hours.

Also can heat a small room.   Put a couple between some bricks and put a red clay flower pot upside down on the bricks.  

They also make great fire starters.  Lay your materials over a tea light, and maybe put one upside down higher in the stack so it will melt down over the fuel and tinder.  That will help those catch fire.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Handwarmer?

Yup, that could be it with damned otto!