SASS Wire Forum

Tite cylinder chambers

Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905

That's funny right there!

They usually come in pairs!  Don’t know as you can get just one…….. Something like Lays tater chips……..

Sam Sackett 

I'd do this with a chamber polishing flexi-hone.   Brownells has a "22 magnum" hone that if you wrap some tape around it to limit the travel into the chamber just far enough for .22 LR, would probably take the roughness out.  800 grit.  Get their "flexi-hone" oil, as if you use other oils it can soften the adhesive that holds the  abrasive balls together on the brush.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/paint-metal-prep/abrasives-polishing/rifle-polishing-system/

Go slow, follow their instructions, use the special oil.  I've used these on rough .38 special chambers, .45 colt, the mainspring housing bore of 1911 pistols, 12 gauge chambers and forcing cones.  They really polish up a chamber/bore!

Realize that the manufacturer states this is for a .22 magnum chamber.   So, you will want to use it very lightly, and in the fine grit (800) it should not make the .22 LR chambers too sloppy.   No guarantees that it will hold to a perfect .22 LR chamber, though.

An alternative would be to make up a honing tool yourself, perhaps a 0.200" diameter (or 3/16") brass rod that you split with a fine jewelers saw blade enough to hold one wrap of 400 grit sandpaper.   Turn very slow with a drill.  

Another alternative - if you want a strong guarantee - get a finish reamer for .22 LR.   It'll be $200 to buy, so look to (I believe) a company "4D" for a rental reamer.  You may want to be real careful so you do not ding it and incur a regrind/replacement charge.  If you have a local gunsmith who cuts barrels and chambers, you could have him rent one and do the work.   This will cut any part of the chamber clean which was not cut well at factory.  It will not remove "too-deep" gouges

Have you checked with Ruger to see if they will do this work as a warranty job?

good luck, GJ

I used a very fine grit lapping compound on a 22 cal mop. It dident take much to smooth the chambers out so you want to go slow and check for fit often

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Have you contacted Ruger? 

You can try a .25 cal bore mop in a drill motor, and toothpaste.

One of the better toothpaste I have tried with good results for polishing is the

'Charcoal' type toothpaste.   But, one word of warning..... don't try to clean it up with

cleaning oils or cleaning solutions.   It don't seem to wash away easy with oil.   BUT,

if you clean it out with water, it cleans up easy.

Some of the best advice on this thread was posted above by Garrison Joe.

He shares a lot of good stuff with us on the Wire.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Garrison Joe.

He shares a lot of good stuff with us on the Wire

+1

I have a BL-22 rimfire rifle that will not feed Federal Premium .22s reliably.  However, it will feed some ARMSCOR .22s I bought years ago all day.  Try another brand of .22s.  They might work in your firearm.

I had a Ruger Wrangler with extremely rough cylinder chambers.  Tool marks were clearly visible in the chambers.  Cartridges would go in easily, but after firing had to be tapped out with a rod and hammer.  I called Ruger, explained the problem and they sent me a new cylinder which works fine.  I was surprised they would send me a cylinder.  I had expected I would have to send the gun in for a cylinder to be fitted.  That probably tells us something about the degree of hand fitting on Wranglers.

TR

i agree with the above , but i think you can improve your experience with some of the above suggestion's , the tooth paste is simply a flavored and edible rouge - used it to polish things ive made for years [i had a source for "test" tooth paste back in the 60s - had a couple 2lb coffee cans full and that goes a long way , the gell worked just as good as the paste - just as abrasive to metal in testing lab [my source was trying to improve pumping it on their production lines back then] 

:ph34r:  Took possession of my Super Wrangler today, and immediately took out the small hole gauges and checked both LR and magnum cylinders.  To my great surprise and gratification. all holes were consistent and proper.  

Really stiff, and in need of springs and gentle massage, but very promising.

15 hours ago, Tommy Reb said:

I had a Ruger Wrangler with extremely rough cylinder chambers.  Tool marks were clearly visible in the chambers.  Cartridges would go in easily, but after firing had to be tapped out with a rod and hammer.  I called Ruger, explained the problem and they sent me a new cylinder which works fine.  I was surprised they would send me a cylinder.  I had expected I would have to send the gun in for a cylinder to be fitted.  That probably tells us something about the degree of hand fitting on Wranglers.

TR

Says much about modern day machinery! ;)

Says more about the machine operator not paying attention to when tooling needs sharpening!  And then too little QA.  All to save costs, I would guess  GJ

cant argue that - trying to get too much from a tool before changeout , i dont think the operators today have that much control over the machine thats all controlled by the computers but the tool changeouts is critical , trying to get too much production from a setup or inferior tools 

I used to use the split brass tubing method with a leather wrap and talcum powder as the abrasive.  And then came the lawsuits right about the time I ran out of talc.  The Missus now wonders why we need to try so many different brands/types of toothpaste, and why after 42 years of marriage I have now seemingly taken to brushing my teeth in the workshop.

Archived