SASS Wire Forum

RAIN!

Subdeacon Joe

Congrats on the rain, wish we would get some substantial rain.

Hard to believe but the Tampa Bay area is in a severe drought. I've been keeping track of the rainfall for many years, we're down 30"+ for the year as compared to previous years and the dry season is here. The last time it was like this there were large forest fires (not as destructive as California's fires) in June/July of the next year.

I hope that the rain that ya'll receive doesn't just run off into the ocean.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Yesterday, between 1600 and midnight, we got about 5/8" of rain.  So far today - almost 7/8 of an inch since midnight!  

Is this a "thank God it's finally raining" post, or is this a "oh no, we are going to get flooded out" post?

It's been raining here on a steady basis for the past 4 days now! :blink:

rain-keaton.gif.7e28c707f24914efe1866d2764ac1f44.gif

24 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Is this a "thank God it's finally raining" post, or is this a "oh no, we are going to get flooded out" post?

This is CALIFORNIA!  Of course it's a "Thank God we're finally getting some rain."

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

This is CALIFORNIA!  Of course it's a "Thank God we're finally getting some rain."

When I was new a truck driving, (1990), I had to make a couple deliveries in Kalifornia. It rained the entire three days in was in the state. And all I heard on the radio was complaining about the drought.:angry:

40 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Congrats on the rain, wish we would get some substantial rain.

Hard to believe but the Tampa Bay area is in a severe drought. I've been keeping track of the rainfall for many years, we're down 30"+ for the year as compared to previous years and the dry season is here. The last time it was like this there were large forest fires (not as destructive as California's fires) in June/July of the next year.

I hope that the rain that ya'll receive doesn't just run off into the ocean.

You aren't too far away from my daughter. She is in St. Pete.

TM

ON the other side of the state from St. Pete, we got 13 inches of rain in less than 24 hours.  You read that correctly.  We're glad it finally stopped raining.  Several streets nearby had flooded.  The nearby town told everyone to stay off the roads unless it was an emergency because they were tired of getting rescue driver calls.  We needed rain too but not all at once.

last night between 1600 and midnight i was tending a fire in a lawn chair , smoking cigars and drinkin beer , no rain here lately but we had enough last month to be able to burn the summers accumulation , 

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

So, between earthquakes, forest fires and floods, how much longer do you think California will last?

Nature we can adapt to and survive, it's the capons and wethers on office that are the problem.

On 11/18/2023 at 7:53 AM, Alpo said:

Both.  We got a little rain, but can use a lot more.......BUT I dread the Arizona monsoons season which is right around the corner.

Thanks to AAA and my new roofs on both buildings I'll at least be dry indoors.

Remember that Noah was called a conspiracy theorist....until the rain started.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 3:54 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

So, between earthquakes, forest fires and floods, how much longer do you think California will last?

Was supposed to be wiped out in the 70’s as pastors prophesied Gods wrath and punishment on the sun state. Boy, to rewind wind the clock to those milder to

es…..It’s what brought my Pentecostal in-laws here to Georgia. They were convinced California was gonna be wiped off the map

"....last night between 1600 and midnight i was tending a fire in a lawn chair , smoking cigars and drinkin beer , no rain here lately but we had enough last month to be able to burn the summers accumulation , ..."

i did it again tonight , we have had a little skiff of snow but no rain since i posted that , we also had reasonably warm days and nights the last couple days , but it was down in single digits a few days ago 

5 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Like Mahnna?  Sounds wonderfully miraculous!

Something like that.  A heaven-sent, life sustaining substance.  The big difference is we can (sometimes) store it for more than one day.

Archived