SASS Wire Forum

Military Meme's

PowderRiverCowboy

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Do sailors really call it that?

One just did. 

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Until I got on the internet, I never heard it called a Dixie cup.

Tell us you were never in the Navy, without telling us you were never in the Navy. 

Kinda surprised me — I took over a division on the Forrestal, had to show my junior enlisted how to box their covers ‘old school.’

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Alpo said:

Maybe you can get Marshal Mo Hare to find one for you. Apparently the guy that makes them lives in Russia.

https://englishrussia.com/2009/02/15/steampulk-tableware/#more-2295

There’s some cool stuff in there, but the post is from 2009. 

On 11/29/2023 at 9:08 AM, Alpo said:

Until I got on the internet, I never heard it called a Dixie cup. It was a white hat. Sailors wore white hats.

Yes, we called it the “Dixie cup” hat or cover. 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 9:08 AM, Alpo said:

Until I got on the internet, I never heard it called a Dixie cup. It was a white hat. Sailors wore white hats.

Buddy of mine served on the Saratoga.

He refers to the white cover as a Cracker Jack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

IMG_3154.jpeg

I've met plenty of Rangers. One of my best friends was one. I always thought "Hey Diddle Diddle, Straight Up The Middle" was more applicable to Marines, though.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Two questions:

What is "PLQ"?

What is the new rank?  "Special Corporal"?  "Leaf Corporal"?  "Special Chevron Corporal"?  :D

Angus

I had the same question, so I looked up Canadian enlisted ranks.

A slick sleeve is an untrained private. One chevron is a trained private. Two chevrons is a corporal. Two chevrons and an oak leaf is a master corporal.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I had the same question, so I looked up Canadian enlisted ranks.

A slick sleeve is an untrained private. One chevron is a trained private. Two chevrons is a corporal. Two chevrons and an oak leaf is a master corporal.

OK, Call me "Master Corporal".

Thanks

Now, what is "PLQ"?

1 hour ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Thanks

Now, what is "PLQ"?

Hey now, fair is fair. I figured out Master corporal. PLQ is yours. So stop dragging around and get to it. :P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

earn my Ranger Tab in '69

"the shortest distance between you and your objective is usually mined"

Marine then went Army tabbed not scrolled  But the unit I was in well Platoon Sgt was Ranger(scrolled ) SF and former Delta . 
  We were training a unit for breaching a room they kept messing up and on a live fire shoot house I said here try this , Cracked the door and tossed a thermobaric grenade in and said thats how you clear a room :) 
  I was in Iraq had no missions going the next day and a Marine unit asked our LT if he had someone that could rollout as they were a man short (sick ) . They asked who had the "club patch "ironed on inside of ACU blouse , Of course me and LT said well at least he speaks your terms LOL. I said sure . The Master Guns in charge asked if I wanted to drive or be gunner . 
  LT yells hold up , he drives because he will shoot any damn thing that looks cross eyed at me . The Master Guns just laughed and said still a Marine . I ended up driving :( 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Thanks

Now, what is "PLQ"?

You Pards have to start reading my Ultra, Super Duper, highly secret/Classified hidden texts! LOL

* Primary Leadership Course

Capt Obvious eating popcorn video source.gif

Edited by Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474
  • Haha 2

On 12/3/2023 at 8:34 AM, Pat Riot said:

Yes, we called it the “Dixie cup” hat or cover. 

I was told that it was a Dixie cup when out friend's son came home from the pacific with his friends in 1946 or1947.  I was about five years old and have called them Dixie cups ever since.

Once in awhile I've heard the called Popeyes, too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Once in awhile I've heard the called Popeyes, too.

I haven’t heard Dixie Cups referred to as Popeyes. I do recall in Naples Italy toward the middle of a Med Cruise we had a new Master Chief of the Command and he dictated that all Enlisted below E-7 (CPO) must wear dress uniforms on Liberty. 
Side note: That guy was the most bitter miserable sonofab*tch I do believe I have ever known. I think the Captain brought him aboard so HE wouldn’t be the most hated man aboard.

Anyway, my buddies and I were walking down the street towards The Piano Bar when some local guy calls to us “Hey Popeye!”

My buddies got ticked. 
I laughed and yelled back in my best Popeye imitation “Whaddya want? Ack-ack-ack-ack-ACK”

The guy and these pretty ladies he was with started laughing. 
My buddies started laughing.

The guy says “Come, try my bar. I have American whiskey and pretty girls. Popeye, you get the first drink free.”

Well, guess where we spent the rest of the day and most of the night. We had a ball. 

Just to be clear - I didn’t go because of the pretty girls. I was married and faithful. I went for the Whiskey! ;)

• Like 3