SASS Wire Forum

Nostalgic Things

Pat Riot

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/23/2023 at 3:10 AM, Pat Riot said:
Here are 29 photos of items from yesteryear. I remember them all. I am not sure if I actually miss any of them. ;)

How many do you remember?
Do you have any to add?

This one has several items you don’t see any more. 
Nostalgic Things (29 pics)

An entire shelf built literally just for a phone book:

Travel alarm clock - wind up

#9:  had one between the hall and living room that could be accessed from both sides.  Phone book below, Western Electric black cradle phone above.

Got the number in 1954: SKyline 2-2175, SK2-2174, 752-2175, and after Area Codes came in there was 801 and finally 435.  Mom died in 1998 and the number stayed with hee to the end....through seven new addresses, all in the same town.

Started out with "Number Please" and ended up with a push button system.

#11:  I grew up in a Mormon family in a Mormon community where my grandmother, mother, sister, aunts, neighbors, cousins and every other female for a hundred miles made afghans, doilies, decorated kitchen  towels, antimacassars, table runners and place mates, needlepoint wall hangings, scarves, mittens,  boot socks, shopping bags, vests, bibs,  and every other handicraft sort of thing you could think of.  I even had some girlfriends who gave me stuff for Christmas and my birthday.

When I got married I had a bigger trousseau than any girl in the entire county.

A lot of the those thing have gone by the boards over the years, but I still have a baker's dozen Afghans, including two Mom made for my dogs, a bunch of hot pads, ten eight piece serving place mats with matching table cloths and runners, four or five winter scarves, the last of  a whole lot of embroidered kitchen towels, some needle point framed pictures and a two place "wedding blanket" for snuggling on a couch.  I believe I'll give that to my son and his wife, even though they live in Las Vegas and need a blanket about like i need a barb wire jock strap. 

How about lawn darts?

image.jpeg.7141b8d82b9deaef9a643c0c9a1ced50.jpeg

Times LED watches

image.thumb.jpeg.35786e6c3052f41752e65601aa00e6ac.jpeg

Ball radio

image.jpeg.df75400ed182880f2f3e74024b0e0bb9.jpeg

I loved lawn darts. I had a Timex LED Watch and one of those stupid ball radios. 

51 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

How about these?  https://magic-8ball.com/

Shake

Yep! I worked my butt off selling candy bars door to door for school so we could go to Kennywood Park (amusement park) on a class trip and I won a Magic 8 Ball. I was stoked and as soon as I got it I was so disappointed. It’s funny now but 10 year old me was not flippin’ happy about that at all. :lol:

N

53 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Yep! I worked my butt off selling candy bars door to door for school so we could go to Kennywood Park (amusement park) on a class trip and I won a Magic 8 Ball. I was stoked and as soon as I got it I was so disappointed. It’s funny now but 10 year old me was not flippin’ happy about that at all. :lol:

No one really believed them, but they were a whole lot of simple fun without the baggage of the Ouija Boards that were popular as well.  Mine was so important to me that I have no idea what happened to it.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:25 AM, Alpo said:

Except for number 19. I don't recognize it.

I have several of those things, and almost bought one of those aluminum percolators of the yard sale yesterday. If it had been stainless steel I would have.

That's an old wringer washing machine.

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Lookie what I found today at a West Virginia Rest Area south of Clarksburg on I-79. 

IMG_3512.thumb.jpeg.49af5b00e2bdfebfc19013bbd4c47b49.jpeg

Wow, that one looks like it is in real good shape. The few that I've seen still around were so nasty looking that I wouldn't touch them if I had to.

On 10/23/2023 at 2:35 PM, Alpo said:

Still waiting for all of you knowledgeable people to tell me what number 19 is.

It's a wringer washer.  I used to beg my Nanny to let me do the laundry, and never broke a button.

49 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Never happen, then or now.  One decides to live life instead.

Yes, everyone with a smart phone is dead. 

image.gif.21a449b5ccc3560b0496fd04c9f94938.gif

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Never happen, then or now.  One decides to live life instead.

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Yes, everyone with a smart phone is dead. 

I think what Rip Snorter is saying is that too many people now spend their time with their noses stuck in their phones. As discussed in another thread, how often do you see a group of people sitting together at a restaurant, and instead of conversing, they are all playing on their phones? It seems that their phones ARE their lives. 

I may, (MAY?) be a fat old guy, but I like to think that I'm paying attention to life. I don't go out and do as much as I would like to, but it's not for lack of desire. 

With me being retired and my wife working weekend nights, we have a lot of time to spend together. We don't always do thing together, I might sit here on my confuser while she sits and watches some stupid vampire movie, but whenever she takes a break to go sit out on the front deck, I stop and go sit with her. It's not much, but we're spending time together.

There are a number of guys here who I'm certain wish that they could still do that, but sadly cannot. I don't want to, someday, regret that I didn't, but had my nose in my phone instead. 

22 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I think what Rip Snorter is saying is that too many people now spend their time with their noses stuck in their phones. As discussed in another thread, how often do you see a group of people sitting together at a restaurant, and instead of conversing, they are all playing on their phones? It seems that their phones ARE their lives. 

I may, (MAY?) be a fat old guy, but I like to think that I'm paying attention to life. I don't go out and do as much as I would like to, but it's not for lack of desire. 

With me being retired and my wife working weekend nights, we have a lot of time to spend together. We don't always do thing together, I might sit here on my confuser while she sits and watches some stupid vampire movie, but whenever she takes a break to go sit out on the front deck, I stop and go sit with her. It's not much, but we're spending time together.

There are a number of guys here who I'm certain wish that they could still do that, but sadly cannot. I don't want to, someday, regret that I didn't, but had my nose in my phone instead. 

Okay. That makes sense. I agree. 

I make it a point of not looking at my phone when my wife and I go out to eat. I use my phone for everything online and I takes lots of photos with it but I definitely put it in my pocket when life erupts around me, if you know what I mean. 

Current state of my # 3. Wife is getting anxious about me not getting this project done. It does get used a lot around here.

IMG_0498.jpeg

Although not quite in line with the post, but perhaps a gift that turned into a useful something I might need.. She gave me these as a gift when I retired from the Army.

IMG_0496.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

Lastly, Most of you will have used this. Why get get rid of something perfectly usable. We’ve had this since we first got hitched in Texas 1979. I found it headed to the trash from my unit at Fort Hood. They were upgrading to newer supposedly better equipment for us Privates living in the barracks.

IMG_0499.jpeg

Archived