SASS Wire Forum

Steak cut bacon

Warden Callaway

Most of us love bacon.  When you watch old westerns,  you see them slice off a harty thick cut off the slab.  Mary buys "thick sliced" but there must not be a standard.  I've gotten some thick sliced that was as thin as a credit card.  Anyway,  I've found they market "steak cut" bacon.  Now you're talking!   This is a little pricy but you get the idea.

https://www.smokehouse.com/bacon-steak-sampler.html

27 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Most of us love bacon.  When you watch old westerns,  you see them slice off a harty thick cut off the slab.  Mary buys "thick sliced" but there must not be a standard.  I've gotten some thick sliced that was as thin as a credit card.  Anyway,  I've found they market "steak cut" bacon.  Now you're talking!   This is a little pricy but you get the idea.

https://www.smokehouse.com/bacon-steak-sampler.html

Because of my Health I can only get away with a slice once in awhile anymore. I like Burgers, However you to experience some Bacon, you should order some of this. Cut the way you want, It’s whole slab. Burgers offers it as well. Then there is also Wright’s which is very good. I would oven bake mine with a Grill type top on top of a baking sheet that cover a Large baking pan. Make for some nice thick straight flat crispy Slices that really make a dynamite BLT.

IMG_0470.png

IMG_0469.png

7 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

:wacko:    $15 a lb , ? 

NO THANKS 

CB 

Kinda like going to a butcher to pay for outstanding cuts of steak.  Not something you do often, but the once or twice a year, and the work they put into the product its well worth it. If you’re a bacon nut like I am, even though I’m supposed to steer clear of it now.

My family always served thick sliced baked bacon. We treasured the bacon grease. I still use it for dutch oven cooking. My cardiologist does not approve.

Slice it yourself.

Mary said store had some other brands or house brand about same price per pound as regular bacon.   I suspect this Burgers' brand includes shipping? 

Dad's Christmas gift list included a big package of Wright bacon for all the men and a box of Whitman Samplers for all the women. One stop shopping and done.

The reverend that spoke at dad's funeral services was also a butcher in the IGA dad shopped at.  He included that dad always knew what setting to set the slicer to get the ham slices the thickness he wanted.

Mary likes to shop for meat at one store because the butchers will go to the trouble to get what she wants.

One of our local groceries is great about custom butchering! The guys just seem to take pride in getting you what you want.

They have the best source for bacon I have ever tasted. Just perfectly smoked with no frills.  They’ll slice it ANY way you like!!

Used to be a meat shop in San Marcos that smoked their own meat and made bacon and would cut it whatever thickness that you wanted. The guy that owned it really took care of customers and when he retired the place fell apart. The buildings been torn down making way for development.

I use to help Mary with the grocery shopping.   I'd run ahead and get a big bulk package of Wright ods and ends.  About 1/2 price per pound as the nice stuff.  And it all goes to same place anyway.   But I think they worked the price up to the nice stuff.  The brand I see now is Smithfield.

My favorite bacon is the Hormel Natural Choice low nitrate thick cut bacon. It’s ~$8 for a 20oz package. 

I know it has low nitrates and nitrites because it does not kick start my asthma. 

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’d buy a slab and cure it myself before I’d pay 15.83 a pound.

WIfe’s Dad was a pig/hog farmer, and for awhile I did it after retiring. Smoked my own slabs and other cuts. One year I cornfeed til they got right at 200 pounds. Man, they weren’t fat just thick as all get out. WOuld never do that again. You actually had to add oil. Oh it was good, but it’s way better tasting with some fat. My neighbor starting raising them about 5 years ago. I was splitting one each year with a close friend, but the doc has told me to ge away from pork because of my pancreas and Heart. Nothing like home smoked and cured out.

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’d buy a slab and cure it myself before I’d pay 15.83 a pound.

That's exactly what I do!

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'd run ahead and get a big bulk package of Wright ods and ends. 

That's my usual - "ends and pieces."  There are several brands around here.  I look over several packages and find some that look like they have a lot of nice strips in it.    I can usually find a couple that look like they are about half good strips and half random chunks and pieces.  Use the strips for regular bacon, cut the chunks up to use in other cooking.

I found one brand, can't think of it right now, maybe Hemplers, that is ends and pieces of "Country Bacon" aka buckboard bacon aka shoulder bacon.  Very lean, and this brand is maple cured, very sweet. 

7 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I use to help Mary with the grocery shopping.   I'd run ahead and get a big bulk package of Wright ods and ends.  About 1/2 price per pound as the nice stuff.  And it all goes to same place anyway.   But I think they worked the price up to the nice stuff.  The brand I see now is Smithfield.

Yeah and Smithfield is everywhere. Personally I think their bacon sucks! But that’s just me

Last year I ordered a box of Ray’s Country Ham. I think the Box had 6 individual 12 oz sealed packets. It will last in the cupboard forever. The company is out of Mt. Airy North Carolina. Anyway, if you ever buy some, one pack will last you a lot of meals.

What I do:  Open a pack, place the ham slices in a large pan of water and set the eye on low for maybe twenty minutes. This removes a lot of the Saltiness, but leaves behind some great flavor. After rinsing I place 1/2 in my 8 quart slow cooker. Add about 2 pounds of fresh green beans and let simmer all day. Man, talk about eating your Veggies. I pretty much consider it my main meal for a couple of days

IMG_0472.jpeg

Archived