SASS Wire Forum

Why a pistol grip rifle?

Cholla

16 hours ago, Hoss said:

Ginger or Mary Ann? 

Mrs. Howell

Thurston will kick off soon. She's got the money, and gold bullets. 

Edit - And she shoots a straight stock.

11 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Mrs. Howell

Thurston will kick off soon. She's got the money, and gold bullets. 

Edit - And she shoots a straight stock.

Good point!

4 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Don't take this as gospel, it's just something I was told by a top SASS gunsmith.  He said to get one of each style, straight stock and pistol grip.  With your eyes closed shoulder each and then open your eyes.  Whichever one has the sights lined up is the right style for you.  He said most folks with longer necks find the pistol grip style works better because when that style stock is shouldered it puts the sights higher. He also highly recommended your rifle and shotgun have the same style stock for the same reason.  

If you don't like the above explanation please don't flame me.  It's not mine, just passing on some info I heard from what should be a reliable source. 

Your sourse is reliable. LOL. Another "benefit" of a pistol grip stock is with the thumb tucked along side the stock when the lever closes that curve enhances the other four finger's ability to put rearward pressure on the stock. Firmly into the shoulder.

I have some of both. Some for me, some for the wife, some for the kid. Who's now thirty and able to buy his own dang cowboy guns thank goodness! LOL. Some Uberti's, different stocks, different calibers, some Marlins of the same configurations and each of them came to us for different reasons. First gun for him, first gun for me, or her, then something starting with a "4", no I wanna shorter one....oooh....that's PURTY.....ever'body needs a spare or three....heck I bet THAT's something all'a y'all have experienced! O'course we AIN'T gittin' started on scatterguns....pumpgunz, lever double, hammered double single trig....GAH! LOL

Most of the rifles in westerns are a 92 and not a 73. Was a pistol grip 92 offered? I’m not at home to check my library. 

36 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Most of the rifles in westerns are a 92 and not a 73. Was a pistol grip 92 offered? I’m not at home to check my library. 

Yes.   Also special order.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/78/3003/special-order-winchester-model-1892-rifle-with-pistol-grip-stock

More recent.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-navy-arms-model-1892-rifle-a-gentleman-s-lever-action/

2 hours ago, Cholla said:

Most of the rifles in westerns are a 92 and not a 73. 

That is most likley because that is what the prop houses had pleanty of to supply the movie studios. ;) :P

How many times have we seen 92's used in a movie in a time set well before 1892. :D :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

That is most likley because that is what the prop houses had pleanty of to supply the movie studios. ;) :P

How many times have we seen 92's used in a movie in a time set well before 1892. :D :ph34r:

When Hollywood was making westerns the 92 was still in full production. Smash and drop all you want, we’ll make more. 

5 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Uncle Uriah,

The family sends you its best regards and I just wanted to say 'HI' to my favorite uncle.

Sure like your rifle collection...... ;)

..........Widder

Widder!

I didn't know you were my nephew!  Why have you been keeping this a secret from me?  We need to arrange a meeting as soon as possible.

And you should see the rest of the colletion.

My backup rifle is a pistol grip 73, main match rifle a straight stock, I honestly can’t tell much of a difference if any, but then I don’t think anyone would call me a fast shooter!

On 10/18/2023 at 7:18 PM, Cholla said:

I have seen some top shooters using a pistol grip ‘73. Since a shooter is not supposed to wrap a thumb around the stock when shooting I don’t see an advantage. Am I missing something?

You are misled if you have been told that you have to wrap a thumb on a pistol grip stock. 

Thumb place.ent is optional 

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

This is what I'd really like to have....

Why?  You may ask?   Cuz the "pistol grip" stock looks much more natural than the cut down straight rifle stock.   Which relates to "why a Pistol grip stock on a rifle" question.

And, it also relates to the thumb wrap question as well.   Perhaps in a silly way, but it is related.

22 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

How many seconds do they take off one's stage time?

:rolleyes:

Most likely no more or less than the 'style points' that one gets from all the cowboy attire accoutrement that we all love.  :D

Besides, if the style makes someone happy they might be more willing to practice a bit more, might even spend more time dry firing just because they like the firearm a skosh more, or maybe even be just a tad more invested in all the bits and bobs so they feel more "at one" with their equipment 

Life is too short to play with toys that don't make you happy B)

3 minutes ago, VinnieBoomBah said:

Most likely no more or less than the 'style points' that one gets from all the cowboy attire accoutrement that we all love.  :D

Besides, if the style makes someone happy they might be more willing to practice a bit more, might even spend more time dry firing just because they like the firearm a skosh more, or maybe even be just a tad more invested in all the bits and bobs so they feel more "at one" with their equipment 

Life is too short to play with toys that don't make you happy B)

When you say "invested"...like in a membership?

:o

50 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

When you say "invested"...like in a membership?

:o

Yeah,  . . . so about that.  :blush:  A pard of mine said he was going get that for me as a birthday present, and then life happened as it's want to do, and things came up and in this odd little limbo of not wanting to ask about it (that would be rude) but also not wanting to just pony up because that also might be rude, so just kind of sitting here like this for a bit

SleepingCowboy.jpg

Shot straight stocks for years.. no complaints..

On one occasion I was able to try a pistol grip ..

I noticed my sight picture was better right off..

Some may be better with straight stock?? Some with pistol grip?

I switched to pistol grip..
Just sayin..:huh:

Yes the pard that asked how many points does it shave off your score in 100% right anyone who has a pistol grip 73 or 94 or marlin should sell them immediately and cheap!!  I am going to offer to save you fools from your mistake and offer to buy at these very cheap prices!!

Archived