SASS Wire Forum

Have you, or have you ever considered

Alpo

Having a second gun hidden away somewhere in your car?

Story. Husband and wife are walking for the parking lot when they see a purse snatching in progress. Husband takes down the bad guy, and is kneeling on his back with a gun in his ear telling him not to move, and telling the wife to call the cops. Bad guy number two shows up to rescue his buddy, and is about to shoot the husband. The wife shoots number two.

When the police arrived they take both their guns as evidence until it gets straightened out.

They are from Louisiana and they are 150 miles from home in Texas. No, they do not have spare guns in the car, but the situation made me think of it.

John Wayne movie McQ. Duke is an ex cop that's now a private eye, and he shoots somebody, and the cops take his gun into evidence. He pops the trunk and unlocks some little hidey-hole inside there, and pulls out another gun and sticks it in the holster. That just seemed like a really intelligent thing to do.

I used to have a little hidey-hole where I kept both money and a spare gun. Don't have that truck anymore.

Curious if I'm the only one. Or me and Duke.

Not usually around home turf, but you gave me something to think about. Sometimes when traveling I will stash an extra gun somewhere in the vehicle. I have the perfect hidey-hole in my car and in my wife’s Suburban. 

An awful lot of guns get stolen from cars, what you can hide, someone can find. The rare times I have to leave mine in the car for a short period, I take the magazines and chambered round with me.  A car backup in the situation described would not allow that.  There are some very tough metal cases that can be locked to parts of the car.  I have thought of doing that, but have not so far.

Widder!  Got yer back, brother!  Otherwise we’ll get TW ta’ throw bail fer both of us!!

Locally, I won’t carry any more guns that would normally stay in the car and I don’t leave my carry weapon in the car except at greates of need.

Even my doctors allow personal carry! I don’t enter places that require that I disarm, voluntarily.  I had to go to the courthouse the other day to file some paperwork. I wore a Black Gold Shootout shirt, my NRA ball cap, and my open carry holster, empty, in whilst Schoolmarm sat in the car with my sidearm!

Traveling, I have secure storage for spares.

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

What good is a gun stashed in a secret hidey hole if it can't be retrieved quickly? If it's easily retrieved, how secure is that gun when the vehicle is unattended? 

This is not a gun to be used as a concealed weapon. You are carrying the concealed weapon.

What this would be is a backup weapon in case something happened to your carry gun. Like carrying a clean set of clothes in a duffel bag in case you get caught in the rain or get splashed by somebody driving through a mud puddle. A replacement gun.

I have a small lockbox mounted under the driver's seat in my Jeep that has a Star Firestar 9mm and 2 spare magazines in it. It's small enough to go unnoticed and strong enough to stand up to casual prying. 

If I were looking to have a serious hidey hole in the Jeep, I could mount something under a rear fender well. Plenty of room and easy enough access. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

This is not a gun to be used as a concealed weapon. You are carrying the concealed weapon.

What this would be is a backup weapon in case something happened to your carry gun. Like carrying a clean set of clothes in a duffel bag in case you get caught in the rain or get splashed by somebody driving through a mud puddle. A replacement gun.

You mean like when Boyd Crowder didn’t have his rocket launcher in the shootout with his dad, Bo?  :rolleyes:

Must have missed that one.

I recall Boyd had a rocket launcher in the first one, when he shot the church.

I remember he got religion after being in jail. I think Raylan shot him which might have had something to do with him getting religion. He didn't die. Obviously God wanted him to live for some important purpose.

And I remember after he got out of jail and started his church, him having troubles with his father. Either Daddy wanted him to sell drugs for him, or maybe Daddy just wanted him to pay tribute. I don't recall.

But I don't remember them shooting at each other.

There was a scene in an episode during the time when Boyd “got”religion and got crosswise with daddy, who was in business with a drug cartel. 

Eva, Boyd and Raylan are trapped in a cabin during a hellacious gunfight with Boyd’s daddy and a couple of cartel members. Daddy is killed and one or more cartel members escapes, who is later dispatched by Boyd. 

During the gunfight and hunkered down in the cabin, Raylan says, “Hey Boyd, did you happen to bring your rocket launcher?”

I keep a Henry AR-7 in the compartment below the rear cargo area in our Subaru Forester.  Our carry guns have to be locked-up when we cross over into Kalifornia. 

4 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

I keep a Henry AR-7 in the compartment below the rear cargo area in our Subaru Forester.  Our carry guns have to be locked-up when we cross over into Kalifornia. 

Damn fine reason for not crossing over into California.  I won't ever go back because I'd be a felon the second I crossed the border.

20 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Damn fine reason for not crossing over into California.  I won't ever go back because I'd be a felon the second I crossed the border.

I am afraid I don't have your option to not enter CA.  Being that most of my wife's & my family live their as well as I do all the repairs at a family cabin in S. Lake Tahoe since my father died in 1985. 

I have friends and family there as well  They know my feelings.  I cut all ties years ago when we movrd to Arizona and they all l know they are welcome to visit me here, but I won't go to California  I gave that state all I had for almost forty years supported and defended it and watched it go straight to hell.  Enough! 

On 9/26/2023 at 7:06 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have friends and family there as well  They know my feelings.  I cut all ties years ago when we movrd to Arizona and they all l know they are welcome to visit me here, but I won't go to California  I gave that state all I had for almost forty years supported and defended it and watched it go straight to hell.  Enough! 

I am with you on that one Forty Rod.

As I say about myself, I am a born and raised Californian and I will die a Californian but I will never go back to live there

We wanted to move to Prescott but that ship sailed 20 years ago.
I have already mentioned the numerous reasons we are staying here for the few years I have left.
It simple is not worth it to move 1600 miles away for a gun friendly environment, then drop dead and leave my wife stranded away from home and family.

Archived