SASS Wire Forum

Australian Football League, white stripe?

sassnetguy50

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Actually it’s to provide excitement to the game…watching the white paint dry. :rolleyes:

You think it’s boring?.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1433974/aflw-highlights-collingwood-v-gold-coast?videoId=1433974&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1694937721001

It's Australia.

GIVE BLOOD, PLAY RUGBY!

23 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I thought it was soccer. “football”?

51 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

We use to play a game like that in school.  It was called, "Murder the man with the ball."

25 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

We use to play a game like that in school.  It was called, "Murder the man with the ball."

We called that “pick up and SMEAR”!

45 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

We called that “pick up and SMEAR”!

We called it smear the queer!  Can't say that these days.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Yeah, but it's Australian Rules Football.

It's more of a cross of rugby and kill the man with the ball.

To the uninformed (me), it looked like elements from rugby, soccer, basketball, American football, cricket.

The game itself is entertaining and confusing.   Half the women look like referees, called pies but have KFC on their back.  They're playing footy while trying to score or at least get a behind and randomly paying Mark.

44 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Major Crimes thanks.  Is that more of a fashion style there?  It seems that a person should apply sunscreen to the entire face.

Screenshot_20230917-104515_Gallery.jpg

On the beaches and sport fishing boats in Southern California you used to see people with the old zinc oxide ointment on like that. Also on the tops of their ears and on their lips. 

Or like in the picture Major Crimes posted.

4 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Major Crimes thanks.  Is that more of a fashion style there?  It seems that a person should apply sunscreen to the entire face.

Screenshot_20230917-104515_Gallery.jpg

Its Zinc cream and the nose and cheeks are just the worse places for sunburn. They probably have the usual rub in type of sunscreen on the rest of their face and arms/legs. 

Aussie rules footy is the best game on the planet...am I bias, bloody oath I am..unfortunately like a lot of other sports the do gooders are trying to ruin it by softening the rules & the almighty $$ has taken away loyalty but I still enjoy the skills displayed...big crowds watch our game, so  far every finals game has attracted over 90,000 fans & plastered over the TV...slaughters the crowds that go to rugby & soccer...Lucky enough to play 200 games myself [ at a lower level ]...like a lot of things....it just ain't like it used to be' !!

I’m not familiar with with what the white strip is for these days, but when I was younger I played a little rugby when I was stationed in Europe. Other than that and playing on the softball team I didn’t play any sports that gave you such a sweaty workout in the heat. we always applied either a creamy sunscreen on the nose and under the eyes, sometimes when no one had sunscreen, someone always had a stick of army camouflage in their bag or vehicle. The reason we wore it was to cut down on the sweat glare to our vision. Nothing can be more blinding than trying to see a ball in the air, having to look up and the sun is reflecting off the sweat  under your eyes

In a small Indiana town in the 1960's where basketball was a religion, the basketball coach was also the phys ed teacher.

During basketball season, he would use the phys ed period for basketball practice and have his team at one end of the gym and the rest of us at the other end where we played "full contact" basketball. I guess it would be like rugby on a hardwood floor. :rolleyes:

He would not let his team play with us!:P

Archived